PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

Imperfection202
11-09-09, 09:59 AM
First of all I want to say Thank you to all who serve this country!

I went and talked to a marine recruiter a few months ago...He did not really seem interested but, I could see where he was coming from.

At that time I was 6"4 320 pounds...a fatass...still am.

I have only been able to loose 30 pounds over the last 4 months ( I have had some family situations and have not been able to concentrate).

I am now 290.

I would love to be able to sign up around my 22nd birthday. Which will be August 3rd 2010.

Just a few quick questions.

Do the recruiters always go by your weight or can they sometimes go by your Body Fat percentage. I am a big framed guy?

Even at 6"4 290 My 1 1/2 mile run is 14:25 which is still not up to par but getting closer. I can do 19 pullups, 28 pushups, and 50 sit ups.

Also once I meet the requirments what would be the chances of getting sent overseas. I actually want to go overseas. I would love to end up in Japan but I know chances are slim.

I am also a christian. I was wondering what sundays were like in bootcamp. I always hear that you have service but it's all been he said she said.

Thanks, Kevin.

polizei
11-09-09, 10:24 AM
First of all I want to say Thank you to all who serve this country!

I went and talked to a marine recruiter a few months ago...He did not really seem interested but, I could see where he was coming from.

At that time I was 6"4 320 pounds...a fatass...still am.

I have only been able to loose 30 pounds over the last 4 months ( I have had some family situations and have not been able to concentrate).

I am now 290.

I would love to be able to sign up around my 22nd birthday. Which will be August 3rd 2010.

Just a few quick questions.

Do the recruiters always go by your weight or can they sometimes go by your Body Fat percentage. I am a big framed guy?

Even at 6"4 290 My 1 1/2 mile run is 14:25 which is still not up to par but getting closer. I can do 19 pullups, 28 pushups, and 50 sit ups.

Also once I meet the requirments what would be the chances of getting sent overseas. I actually want to go overseas. I would love to end up in Japan but I know chances are slim.

I am also a christian. I was wondering what sundays were like in bootcamp. I always hear that you have service but it's all been he said she said.

Thanks, Kevin.

1. Marine, Marine Corps, Corps, or any affiliation will always be capitalized.

2. If I did the math correctly, you're 6'4" = 76", your max is 226lbs. Your WAY off.

3. Marine Corps standards are height and weight.

4. Run a IST to see where you stand. 1 1/2 run should be less than 13:30, I think it's 3 pullups, and 60 crunches. We don't use pushups, only for fun!

5. Your chance of getting sent overseas to Japan will vary. During MOS school you'll have the option to request "east, west, overseas." If you're lucky, you'll get Japan...but it depends on your MOS and the needs of the Corps.

6. Sundays...wake up 0400, go to church at like 0630 or so for like an hour, come back to the barracks, and all hell breaks loose. FIELD DAY, scrub.

You have a lot of work to do, I suggest you work very hard. It CAN be done...just remember, you have to continue to keep the weight off if you complete boot camp.

Imperfection202
11-09-09, 10:34 AM
Thank you Sir. You awnserd all of my questions.

I know by the time I get down to 226 I should easily be able to shave 1 minute of my mile and a half.

For now I plan on just cutting and cutting...and some more cutting weight. I run every single day..no excuses.

Thanks, kevin

Zulu 36
11-09-09, 11:32 AM
There are a couple of active duty Marines on this site who lost a considerable amount of weight before boot camp and they are doing quite well in the Corps.

You got a good start on the weight loss (Ha! I'm one to talk having just learned I gained 30lbs in the past five months - so your weight isn't lost anymore, I found it). :D

If you are doing 19 dead-hang pullups at your present weight, you should do even better as you loose more poundage. Make sure your pullups are full dead hang or they don't count.

Keep running. Push yourself to longer and faster distances. Vary distance running with sprints (such as 200-meter sprints, 4 to 6 reps, brief walking recovery in between reps). Sprints really do help the distance and speed. I'd say run sprints at least once per week.

Don't just stop at 1.5 miles, keep going. If you can turn in a good 3-mile run before boot camp, you are ahead of the game.

Don't run daily. Your body needs rest time. I suggest running one day and doing your other body workouts the next. That way you are doing something physical every day, but the body parts still get the recovery time they need.

Fully stretch your whole body daily, even the parts you are not planning to exercise that day.

Watch your food intake (once again, Ha! Who am I to talk). Keep the sweets and high fat foods out of your diet.

Use the search feature on this site. There are a lot of threads on workout programs, etc, to be found.

As polizei said, you will be allowed to go to religious service on Sunday mornings. They cannot deny you (nor will they try). However, in boot camp, Sunday is still a work day and church is the only religious time off you will get.

I think your chances at getting Japan or Okinawa are good. Lots of Marines are needed in those units. I liked Japan and Okinawa both. Stay out of the bars and liberty towns. Get out into the country and meet the real Japanese, not the liberty town hustlers.

The Japanese are very nice people and using plain good manners and making some attempt at learning their language and customs will go a long way with them. Actually, that system works in every country I've been in (except maybe, France).

Good luck.

Imperfection202
11-09-09, 11:43 AM
Thank you Sir.

When they ask either west coast, east coast. or overseas. Do you pick the citys or regions you would like to stay in?

Zulu 36
11-09-09, 12:38 PM
Thank you Sir.

When they ask either west coast, east coast. or overseas. Do you pick the citys or regions you would like to stay in?

Nope. Those are your exact choices.

NoRemorse
11-09-09, 01:09 PM
290 down to 226 prior to next August?

Non-issue. Stay motivated, soak up knowledge here on the forums like the sponge your brain should be and keep it moving.

Plenty of posts and threads about eating right and what to avoid so get out there and search.

And then push!

KGunner
11-09-09, 01:20 PM
Do the recruiters always go by your weight or can they sometimes go by your Body Fat percentage. I am a big framed guy? Yes, though if you are close they will get you a waiver and you will be a "diet" in boot. Fat bodies get singled out a lot in boot, and for good reason, they need to lose the weight.

Even at 6"4 290 My 1 1/2 mile run is 14:25 which is still not up to par but getting closer. I can do 19 pullups, 28 pushups, and 50 sit ups. Work on your sit-ups and core strength in general. Do sprints to get your run time down faster. Pushups don't mean anything.

Also once I meet the requirments what would be the chances of getting sent overseas. I actually want to go overseas. I would love to end up in Japan but I know chances are slim. If the Corps needs you in Okinawa and you wanted West Coast, take a guess as to where they are sending you.

I am also a christian. I was wondering what sundays were like in bootcamp. I always hear that you have service but it's all been he said she said. My Sundays were pretty much the same every Sunday. Wake up, clean house a little, chow, clean house a little, go to religious classes and services, back to the house, when everyone is back you go to chow, and then you are pretty much cleaning the rest of the day.

Thanks, Kevin.

Thats all I have for you. Get your weight down and you will be fine.

Imperfection202
11-09-09, 01:25 PM
Thanks to the both of you.

I have been looking on the net all day..Literaly nothing else to do at work.

I have been looking up my maintenance calories and calculating my daily intake. I have also been setting up a good diet.

I plan on throwing in alot of core exercises sucks as deadlifts, squats, and my favorite..powercleans.

Dont you run everyday in basic training?

I am from a very small town and do not get to talk to alot of people that has been in the military..especially Marines.

Seems like once people can leave this town and make better for themselves...there is no hesitation to leave...and no motivation to come back.

Thanks, Kevin

NoRemorse
11-09-09, 01:32 PM
Nothing else to do? My ass.

Find some sort of exercise you can do a set of in between activities. If you can surf leatherneck you can drop to the deck and execute a set of crunches.

You can use the pushups as a remedial drill for strengthening your core (flat as a plank and all that). You could probably find a sturdy surface to do dips off of. The ideas are endless. Complete a task/pass a doorway/say a phrase- execute one set of prescribed exercises.

If anything it will ramp up your metabolism and motivate the heck out of you. There should be not one wasted moment throughout your entire day. Learn and do. And then do it some more.

Imperfection202
11-09-09, 01:41 PM
Right now I am confined to a desk.... I work for a mining company and sit 10 hours behind a desk. I get off work go run, and go to they gym 3 days a week. I am trying to figure out thinks i can do around the office to workout in a way...sounds weird i know but sometimes I will walk down the hall and just walk into our empy office room and do like 15 pushups real fast.

I cant stand looking at 4 walls anymore, I should have done this right after high school when I was 6"4 260. I was actually in better shape and would have been alot easier to cut.

If I could get down to 226 before august that would be awesome.

josephd
11-09-09, 03:29 PM
70lbs in 9 months...??.....not very healthy IMO but if that's what you have to do in order to get your chance to earn the title then I guess that's what you have to do

That said as long as you are still eating a good diet and drinking plenty of water you should be ok.

And you don't run as much as you think at bootcamp, maybe twice to three times a week depending on your PT schedule.

Stay motivated and good luck