PDA

View Full Version : EOD Requirements and Training

NSCCShipmate
11-07-09, 09:40 PM
Hi there, Marines. I've been doing my "homework" about the Marine Corps for about a year now and that's about how long I've been inspired to join. I've been considering a few MOS's but I wanna know the training and requirements that EOD Marines go through just in case my ambitions to be an infantry officer "crumble". Thanks for serving you guys.

firedog974
11-07-09, 09:56 PM
Hi there, Marines. I've been doing my "homework" about the Marine Corps for about a year now and that's about how long I've been inspired to join. I've been considering a few MOS's but I wanna know the training and requirements that EOD Marines go through just in case my ambitions to be an infantry officer "crumble". Thanks for serving you guys.

You cannot enlist as EOD. You have to be a CPL with so much time in grade/ time in service first. Then you can apply for EOD. In the Corps, it is different than everywhere else. In the Army, you can enlist as an EOD tech, but not in the Corps.

NSCCShipmate
11-07-09, 10:31 PM
Thanks, sir. Can't you also be an E-5 to apply? After E-5 you can't apply anymore I believe?

firedog974
11-07-09, 10:35 PM
NO. In the Corps the highest you can come in as is an E-2, regardless of prior service or college.

NSCCShipmate
11-07-09, 10:38 PM
Oh I see. Thanks.

NSCCShipmate
11-08-09, 09:10 AM
Is there anyway to get prepared well for EOD school by any chance since the attrition rate is around 70%?

Wyoming
11-08-09, 09:16 AM
Is there anyway to get prepared well for EOD school by any chance since the attrition rate is around 70%?

Practice becoming invisible a minimum of 1 second before the little red light stops blinking.

firedog974
11-08-09, 09:17 AM

I don't think it is that bad. Not sure where you got a 70% attrition rate, because I do not think it is anywhere close to that. It is a tough school, but not 70% tough. The schooling is in FL and it is for all branches. Not really sure what you could do to prepare because I have never been through it.

NSCCShipmate
11-08-09, 09:21 AM
Oh. Well I hear the curriculum is tough and it's 9 months. But thanks for the help, sir.

firedog974
11-08-09, 09:31 AM
The best thing is to find someone who is in the EOD field for more info. It does not matter what branch, since they all go to the same school. I hung out with EOD quite a bit, especially on deployments (because I enjoy watching things explode). From what they told me, the main reason the school is so long is because of the enormous amount of different types of ordinance you have to learn about. Sorry I can't be more help, but I don't want to give you mis-information.

NSCCShipmate
11-08-09, 09:35 AM
It's fine, sir. Thanks for some the info. I'll be sure to find someone in the field. Thanks.

MLMonk
11-08-09, 12:13 PM
NO. In the Corps the highest you can come in as is an E-2, regardless of prior service or college.

I think what he meant was applying to EOD as an E-5, Sgt.

My Uncles friend is a retired EOD Company Gunny, I've only met him once, and that was before I went to bootcamp. Wish I can talk to him now, so I can get some more information about EOD.

commdog7
11-08-09, 12:20 PM
There are so many threads on this topic, try the search button.

NSCCShipmate
11-08-09, 03:23 PM
I think what he meant was applying to EOD as an E-5, Sgt.

My Uncles friend is a retired EOD Company Gunny, I've only met him once, and that was before I went to bootcamp. Wish I can talk to him now, so I can get some more information about EOD.
Right I meant applying as an E-5. It's okay.

jstkiknit
11-15-09, 09:35 PM
NSCCShipmate. I am a Marine Corps EOD Tech waht are your questions specifically? to answer a few i saw here so far: there is not a standard attrition rate its broken down by service. when i was the last (alsmost 4 years) the army was near 54 USAF 62 Navy 30 and USMC 9. only do to our more astringent recruting. you can apply if you are a cpl or preferably a jnr sgt. the school is roughly 8 months and very dificult. i have answered many of these questions in other rooms but if you have more feel free to PM me.