PDA

View Full Version : Marines dep help

chubbz1224
11-07-09, 07:27 PM
hi, my names israel im 17 and a senior in high school. I want to get into marines DEP but im not sure if i meet the minimum requirements yet. i know theres an IST to get into boot training but i would like to know the Requirements for DEP. im about 6'0 and weigh 183 lbs. i worked my way down from 265 since last year but im not sure its good enough. you see, i have horrible upper body strength. I've been running and skipping rope to get to 180 lbs, but i couldnt do a push up to save my life. i do those half push ups on your knees and curl weights, some 11lbs ones, with 5lbs weights that have velcro that i put on my arms. thats all i got. as far as situps go its the same as the push ups, maybe 2 or 3. What else should i do to get ready for DEP? or to build up my arms to do push ups?

Lisa 23
11-07-09, 07:40 PM
There are many threads in the Poolee forum on building upper body strength...check them out. Also, check this site out for height and weight standards for the Marine Corps....
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/weightmale.htm

And the Marine Corps IST (Initial Strength Test)
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/l/blist.htm

Have you talked with a Recruiter yet? Have you taken the ASVAB yet? If not, those are the first steps you'll need to take.

Try using some proper sentence structure...capital letters at the beginning of all sentences.

And when using the word Marines or Marine Corps on this site, it will be capitalized at all times, it's in the site rules in the Poolee forum.

Zulu 36
11-07-09, 07:45 PM
hi, my names israel im 17 and a senior in high school. I want to get into marines DEP but im not sure if i meet the minimum requirements yet. i know theres an IST to get into boot training but i would like to know the Requirements for DEP. im about 6'0 and weigh 183 lbs. i worked my way down from 265 since last year but im not sure its good enough. you see, i have horrible upper body strength. I've been running and skipping rope to get to 180 lbs, but i couldnt do a push up to save my life. i do those half push ups on your knees and curl weights, some 11lbs ones, with 5lbs weights that have velcro that i put on my arms. thats all i got. as far as situps go its the same as the push ups, maybe 2 or 3. What else should i do to get ready for DEP? or to build up my arms to do push ups?

OK, you did a nice profile. That's the good news. A lot of new guys get eaten up quick over that.

Next, you need to read, or re-read, the rules regarding posting. Posts are to be grammatically correct, with proper capitalization. Marine and Marine Corps are ALWAYS capitalized. You will get ripped by Marines and Poolees on that point. We are rather picky about that and if you make it through boot camp, so will you be. Call it a pride thing. I see WMarine already got you too.

Congrats on loosing so much weight. You are probably right in the zone as far as height and weight are concerned. However, the only way to build your strength is to work out. Pullups, pushups, crunches, running, etc.

Use the search function on this site to look for workout routines. There should be quite a few to find.

You do not have to pass an IST to go into DEP. But you do have to pass it to go to boot camp.

0231USMC
11-07-09, 09:05 PM
You can begin with pushups. You have to start somehow. Do as many as you can throughout the day or whenever you have time. Once you have a foundation for a house, you can start adding the bricks! Before I shipped, I could barely do pull-ups, now I'm running a 1st class PFT and this forum helped get me there. A tip someone gave me was to do flexed arm hangs and lower yourself slowly as possible from the bar. Do that as many times a day as you can and you can start working on your pull-ups. Helps build strength. :-P

chubbz1224
11-07-09, 09:10 PM
Thanks MARINES. I will work on the spelling.

firedog974
11-07-09, 09:12 PM
I hate pimping any workout products, but, there is one called P90X, and it is great. It will take a lot of heart to get through it, but IF you push yourself, and follow the diet, it will make a WORLD of difference in your upper body strength. Aside from that, focus on back and arm workouts, and search the web for upper body strength workouts. It sounds like you really want this, and have already worked you arse off to get where you are. Congrats. Now take the next step and build some strength!
Good luck.

chubbz1224
11-07-09, 09:17 PM
I have talked to my recruiter and no I have not taken the ASVAB yet.