PDA

View Full Version : 99% mental/1% physical?

BostonPaddy617
11-05-09, 11:52 AM
This is what my friend said who is a recent grad and I don't know if I believe him but I hope what he says is true because I'm not worried about the mental part I'm more concerned with the physical aspect I'm in decent shape I'm 5 ft 11 inches about 150 I used to be about 160-165 I'm tryin to pack on sum lbs before I get there december 1st I ran a 5k in June in 25 Mins so I'm not really worried about runnin except that I just gave up ciggerettes 2 days ago...my biggest concern is crunches and it's ironic bc I have a 6 pack n can only do about 40 in 2 mins...I need a little advice on what I should be focusing on these last 3-4weeks mayb someone cud hook me up with a lil routine...just lookin for ne pointers tips or advice all will be greatly appreciated

polizei
11-05-09, 12:29 PM
Look through the poolee section of this site, there is a ton of useful information scattered around. Boot camp is 90% mental, 10% physical. Everyone differs, the hardest part for me was the humps and the crucible. The mental things I handled fine.

Study knowledge and work on your PT.

Melancon
11-05-09, 01:29 PM
You should really consider learning how to spell and use proper punctuation.

USCFIGHTONUSC
11-05-09, 05:27 PM
This is what my friend said who is a recent grad and I don't know if I believe him but I hope what he says is true because I'm not worried about the mental part I'm more concerned with the physical aspect I'm in decent shape I'm 5 ft 11 inches about 150 I used to be about 160-165 I'm tryin to pack on sum lbs before I get there december 1st I ran a 5k in June in 25 Mins so I'm not really worried about runnin except that I just gave up ciggerettes 2 days ago...my biggest concern is crunches and it's ironic bc I have a 6 pack n can only do about 40 in 2 mins...I need a little advice on what I should be focusing on these last 3-4weeks mayb someone cud hook me up with a lil routine...just lookin for ne pointers tips or advice all will be greatly appreciated

I often hear people say boot camp is mostly mental. I don't agree with that at all. I was sore from day one and I was tired from day one. Every minute of those three months is accounted for and if you're not sleeping or eating, then you are doing something on your feet or in a classroom.

Make no mistake about it, you will get very exhausted. The PT is not what you may think it's going to be, but the entire experience is very challenging both mentally and physically.

Most people are not mentally strong in that sense at that age. So when you go through this ordeal it challenges your mind like never before while the physical portion seems to be easy, or alot easier then expected. This is why many claim it's more mental then physical.

You are 3-4 weeks out. You basically are set. Not much is going to change in that short amount of time. Just don't get hurt trying something new. You will be fine.

Donut Brigade
11-05-09, 07:13 PM
The mental and physical challenges go hand in hand, i.e. you'll be depressed because you are always hungry, homesick, and sore. An average day in boot camp is not that hard; it's the day to day grind that will get you.

usmcmsf
11-05-09, 07:20 PM
None of it will seem that hard once you are used to the day to day grind, after a few or more weeks. I felt like I was tired the whole time, and thats when the mental part starts coming in.

SlingerDun
11-05-09, 07:36 PM
An average day in boot camp is not that hardI've heard this plenty since i've been a member here and it's a bit disheartening and still hard to swallow but becoming more acceptable with us has beens. I am certainly gratefull for attending boot camp when it was a formidable ass kicker:marine: Thats right, it used to be a 24 karat b*tch no matter what boys ranch you were weened off

--->Dave

USCFIGHTONUSC
11-05-09, 07:45 PM
I've heard this plenty since i've been a member here and it's a bit disheartening and still hard to swallow but becoming more acceptable with us has beens. I am certainly gratefull for attending boot camp when it was a formidable ass kicker:marine: Thats right, it used to be a 24 karat b*tch no matter what boys ranch you were weened off

--->Dave

You bring up a good point.

What I think happens many times today is that future Marines have this misconception that boot camp is gonna be a certain way and when it's not, they say it's easy.

I find it hard to believe that a day in boot camp is easy. I know it's different today, but easy I hope not.

One example, is how many future Marines think they will run many miles each day while there. This just is not true and when they go through it, it makes it seem like it was easy. They tend to set the bar very high and while there they see they over trained for boot camp and therefore think it was easy.

bcowperthwaite
11-05-09, 08:12 PM
Recruit training is meant to establish a baseline level of fitness and test the limits of your mental endurance. This is because the mental component of combat far outweighs its physical components.

usmcmsf
11-05-09, 08:27 PM
I by no means think boot camp is easy, but just like everything else in life one learns to adapt, thus making it "easier".

BostonPaddy617
11-05-09, 08:58 PM
Uscfightonusc thanks for the reply it's greatly appreciated...thank you to everyone else also ur all confidence boosters

Alisium
11-05-09, 10:35 PM
Recruit training was physically a *****.

Your body adjusts after a few weeks but it remains a challenge until the end. I liked/like to hump. Runs were a bit more difficult for me as I never have been and never will be a rabbit. Lack of sleep was a real killer for me. Especially, when sitting in a classroom.

Home sickness, culture shock, recruit knowledge, stress et al are all mental aspects that you're going to have to deal with, aside from being extremely physically challenged.

Recruit training is 100% physical and 110% mental because you're being taxed full time in both arenas. When the body want's to crap out on you, the mind takes over to keep you going, that's the extra 10%.

Fubar5812
11-06-09, 02:25 AM
boot camp is the ****tiest day you have probably had up to that point...and you have it for 3 months straight. Alot of mail really helps with homesickness and getting your mind right.

commdog7
11-06-09, 03:26 AM

That's one long sentence.

Nasty. :sick:

Lupo22
11-08-09, 06:28 PM
Physically, boot camp was a joke to me. Nothing to make you "sore". I was in really good shape going in but at 25 years of age, my body doesn't recover as quick as an 18 year old, but it still didn't get me.

SOI is a different story.

Boot camp had stuff like BWT and the Crucible which was just grinding away at you...sleep deprivation will destroy your mind. Just sleep when you can and don't dick around after lights out. You'll be fine.

But standby for SOI or MCT. And then stand by for Fleet life if you're a grunt...

KGunner
11-09-09, 01:22 PM
If you can hang mentally, then the physical parts won't seem as bad. As soon as you start concentrating on how much you hurt or how tired or hungry you are, you will find yourself quitting and slowing down. Keep your mind focused on the task at hand and you will be just fine.