PDA

View Full Version : Schooling in the Marines

LIVESTRONGdave
11-04-09, 08:23 PM
Hello, Marines!

I have been talking with my recruiting officer for quiet sometime now. I finally take the ASVAB on monday and the goal is to sign DEC 1st :]

My question is, while you are serving your 4 years or however many you sign up for, I am aware that you can take advantage of post education opportunities "college" if I am wrong PLEASE correct me! He tells me it is fully paid (IN SERVICE) except for book expenses and such. But then, I work with someone who served 8 years in the Army with 3 tours to different countries and is a srgt. He is currently 31, he tells me that isn't entirely true.

Can you please enlighten me on this topic, much appreciated Marines! thanks! :usmc:

itzs4m
11-04-09, 09:01 PM
All I know you're able to take college credits on the side while you serve full-time with the Marine Corps. I have also heard that they would send you to school like a major university and take college credits there full time and get paid by the Marines to do so. Now that I'm not entirely sure about it.

josephd
11-05-09, 12:57 AM
As far as I am aware if you are active duty or in the reserves and have been activated for a year or more you qualify for 100% tuition assistance.

GREY MATTER
11-05-09, 02:36 AM
As far as I am aware if you are active duty or in the reserves and have been activated for a year or more you qualify for 100% tuition assistance.

correct...

but you have to remember it is a privelage to goto school, your command doesn't have to approve it.
i know if i had my way no one in the powerline shop at VMFAT-101 would be allowed to do any school since none of the Marines/Sailors in that shop have any quals.

just remember, you are a Marine first, and your military duties will always come first

brian0351
11-06-09, 12:40 AM
If you sign up for infantry...forget about any type of schooling! You won't have any time for it.

echo3oscar1833
11-06-09, 09:54 AM
correct...

but you have to remember it is a privelage to goto school, your command doesn't have to approve it.
i know if i had my way no one in the powerline shop at VMFAT-101 would be allowed to do any school since none of the Marines/Sailors in that shop have any quals.

just remember, you are a Marine first, and your military duties will always come first

Are you referring to reservists, Grey Matter, if so the command really has no control of Marine Reservists going to school. Maybe I misunderstood what you said, if I did correct me. I know commands have to approve it on the active side of the house. :marine:

NoRemorse
11-06-09, 10:00 AM
Are you referring to reservists, Grey Matter, if so the command really has no control of Marine Reservists going to school. Maybe I misunderstood what you said, if I did correct me. I know commands have to approve it on the active side of the house. :marine:

Did you get your enlistment package ready for January yet, bro?:marine:

echo3oscar1833
11-06-09, 10:05 AM
Did you get your enlistment package ready for January yet, bro?:marine:

Nope still not reenlisting, you all should just give up on that notion haha :D. Maybe OCS is in order after a few more college classes:bunny:

NoRemorse
11-06-09, 10:07 AM
Nope still not reenlisting, you all should just give up on that notion haha :D. Maybe OCS is in order after a few more college classes:bunny:

Keep us up to date on that, we're definetely gonna be there for your commissioning... and the festivities afterwards :D

echo3oscar1833
11-06-09, 10:14 AM
Keep us up to date on that, we're definetely gonna be there for your commissioning... and the festivities afterwards :D

I'll buy the beer:D

NoRemorse
11-06-09, 10:18 AM
I'll buy the beer:D

And we'll bring all the stuff we're not supposed to talk about in the Ask A Marine forum :marine:

echo3oscar1833
11-06-09, 10:20 AM
And we'll bring all the stuff we're not supposed to talk about in the Ask A Marine forum :marine:

That will get me a court martial :D:bunny:

NoRemorse
11-06-09, 10:24 AM
That will get me a court martial :D:bunny:

I assure you sir, I have no idea what you're talking about :cool:

Old Marine
11-06-09, 05:28 PM
Don't know how it is these days, but 37 years ago before my retirement, I knew Marines who were going to college and wearing civilian clothes. They only had to wear the uniform one day out of a week while attending school.

TheRumor
11-07-09, 05:08 PM
You will definitely have time for school one way or another. And like I encourage all of my Marines, I will encourage you to take the opportunity to knock out some college while you are serving. I wasted my first four years doing no school, and I regret it now.

Alot of Marines use alot of excuses for why they can't do school while they are serving, but in all reality, it's just that ...excuses. I have served in a variety of commands with different operational tempos.. from the administration world, to the grunt world, and now the military police world. In all three, there are individuals taking school... so no matter what your job is in the Marine Corps, college is always an option. It really goes back to the type of individual you are, and how much self discipline you have. Do you really want an education, or would you rather spend your free time going out with they boys and getting drunk every weekend?

When you get to your first duty station, visit the Joint Education Center. If you have a GT of less than 110, you will have to pass an exam to qualify for Tuition Assistance. Once you qualify, you will be able to have whatever classes you sign up for paid for by the Marine Corps provided you pass the class with a C or higher.

Hope this helps you out, and good luck.

TheRumor
11-07-09, 05:12 PM
One last note:

Grey Matter is correct. Marine Corps will always come first. In order to start school, you need to prove to your command that you are responsible and proficient in your own MOS. No command wants to allow a Marine to go to college if they know that Marine is a slacker and undisciplined. If you gaff of your schoolwork and get a grade lower than a C, then you have to pay the military back for that class. Now the command has to worry about your financial crap on top of the fact that you're already a ****bag Marine.