PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps' 15th Sgt. Maj. returns 'home'

thedrifter
08-18-03, 06:02 AM
Marine Corps' 15th Sgt. Maj. returns 'home'
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 2003815103847
Story by Lance Cpl. Jennifer Brofer

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Aug. 15, 2003) -- Returning to Parris Island after nearly two years, Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada, former Sergeant Major of Recruit Training Regiment, and recently-appointed 15th Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, toured the Depot Aug. 5, to observe training and address the Marines.
Estrada, who assumed his current post as Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps June 26, began his career nearly 30 years ago aboard Parris Island.

"It feels great to be back at Parris Island," said Estrada. "I went to recruit training here, 1st Battalion, [Bravo] Company, in 1973. Parris Island is like coming home."

Although Estrada has served at numerous duty stations and billets throughout the years, working in aircraft maintenance, onboard aircraft carriers and even participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom, he gave special recognition to the Depot for contributing to his successful career.

"[Recruit Training Regiment] is one of the three [commands] that I give huge credit to for me being in the position I'm in right now," said Estrada. "I feel that my 18 months here helped put me in the limelight to be considered for Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, but that would not have been possible if not for the support of the staff of Marines and Sailors."

Estrada said the regimental staff's hard work made his job that much easier.

"If they hadn't worked as hard as they did, I would not have been coming from a successful tour of duty," he said. "It could have easily been a bad tour of duty for me leaving here if they had not done their job as well as they did."

During his visit, Estrada observed various recruit training events like Marine Corps Martial Arts Program training at Leatherneck Square, taking note of some changes to the curriculum that have occurred since he was RTR Sergeant Major.

"The recruit training schedule has changed a little bit since I was here," said Estrada. "They've extended it to 70 training days, and they've added a few extra events on the Confidence Course, but they're good changes - I'm impressed. We're training them good like we always have, maybe even a little better now."

Estrada said witnessing the recruits' improvement throughout their training is something he enjoys because it's "the only way I can feel like I'm kind of a part of their progress."
However, Estrada's connection to the Island isn't limited to the recruit training aspect.

"There are a lot of ties here to Parris Island and myself," he said. "I came here as a drill instructor from 1987 and stayed until 1990," said Estrada. "This is the place I met my wife. She was a drill instructor here the same time I was here."

Such ties to the Depot made his visit more enjoyable.

"There are a lot of fond memories here - this is the visit I'd been looking forward to ... more so than some of the other ones that I'm doing," he said, smiling. "I feel at home here, like I'm in my natural environment."

Estrada concluded his tour by speaking to hundreds of Marines during a Professional Military Education at the Depot Theater, where he spoke on subjects like housing, child care, education and mentoring junior Marines. He also got feedback from the Marines on issues he should address at the annual Sergeants Major Symposium this week.

Concluding a successful visit, Estrada left the Depot to continue his tour around the Corps, but to no other installation where he could candidly call "home."

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: