PDA

View Full Version : PLC/OCS, summer 2010

Andrew09
11-02-09, 10:55 PM
Heading to OCS over the summer.

looking for some words of wisdom, so to speak

the only thing I have to go on is a promotional video and all the **** my staff sgt talks about it. Don't see the captain much, so I can't ask him a whole lot. Not that I'm worried. :beer:

josephd
11-02-09, 11:38 PM
not many officers on here so not much first hand experience but most of my friends are Lt.'s and they have all told me(when I was getting my package started) the same general theme......stay motivated and even when your not a billet holder with your platoon always be looking to improve whatever you are doing and be a leader.

Attrition rate at OCS is pretty high and they look for any reason to get you to quit

DIBLO7
11-03-09, 12:40 AM
This thread is titled about priors, but most of the info is pertinent.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89794

Also, try marineocs.com

DIBLO7
11-03-09, 12:45 AM
You doing the 10 week or the 6 week course?

ammermda
11-03-09, 05:33 PM
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/class186/

V/r
Lt A

Andrew09
11-04-09, 12:37 PM
You doing the 10 week or the 6 week course?

I believe it's 6 or 8 weeks. I'm going as a college freshman.

Thanks for the link, ammermda, this is a great read.

GR037
11-04-09, 01:03 PM
I was a classroom/tactics instructor for 3 years at OCS. Here's my advice:

-Go in stellar physical condition, but wind down a bit before you actually arrive at OCS; injuries are the number 1 reason for candidates being dropped. Obviously some cannot be prevented, but many candidates kill themeselves before arriving and suffer from things like stress fractures, tendon/joint injuries, etc. I know, it's a delicate balance, but keep it in mind.

-You have to demonstrate leadership potential at OCS. After injuries, "leadership drops" are the next most common reason for dismissal of a candidate. The Marines evaluating you are not looking for the next General Patton, but if COMPANY GRADE OFFICER LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL is not obvious, a candidate could find him/herself in trouble.

-OCS is tough, but very fair. You will be counseled and given possible remedies for any deficiencies you may have; I've never seen a candidate who's been dropped (for any reason) with a surprised or confused look on their face. Just be ready to be physically, mentally and emotionally challenged, and step up and LEAD your fellow candidates at any and every opportunity. Because on the other side of the token, I've yet to see a candidate graduate OCS that regretted any of it.

Good luck to you.