PDA

View Full Version : Prior Service Army Reserve......

USMC Archer
11-02-09, 01:56 AM
Sorry to bother you Marines,

I apologize for my name before hand. I made this name really quick, and did not make it to offend anyone on forums or your Corps.

I am in the Army Reserves I am a Combat MP currently stationed in Iraq. I am not allowed to disclose where exactly due to OpSec. I have been in for 5 1/2 years and my contract is up mid 2010. I am looking to enlist in the Marine Corps Reserves. I understand I will have to go through your Boot Camp. I understand I will lose all of my rank, apparently I would go in as a E-2 for prior service.

My superiors are trying to get me to stay in the Army. They tell me that the Marine Corps wouldn't take me anyways, because they do not like Prior Service enlistments. How true is this?

I am also looking into the 61-- Series (Could be wrong if so I apologize) of MOS's for Crew Chief. Is that even available in the Reserves? If not I was thinking Infantry just for the training aspect and the whole overall experience.... Maybe even MP again, just would hate my life at Ft. Leonardwood AGAIN.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marines,

Archer Out

MLMonk
11-02-09, 02:32 AM
The USMC will take you, as long as you qualify like the rest of us, you being prior service really does not have any effect other then it might make recruiting you easier, since you know what to expect.

The only thing I have to say about the 6100 MOS for reserves, is if there is a reserve station near you with that MOS. Heres (http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thmaw/) a link of the Air Wing units available for reservists. The thing about reserves, is the unit that you want to work will only have so many MOS's you can choose from, since they all do their part in supporting the active side by supplying that MOS needed in a deployment.

Supersquishy
11-02-09, 05:03 AM
I am also looking into the 61-- Series (Could be wrong if so I apologize) of MOS's for Crew Chief. Is that even available in the Reserves? If not I was thinking Infantry just for the training aspect and the whole overall experience.... Maybe even MP again, just would hate my life at Ft. Leonardwood AGAIN.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marines,

Archer Out

Why don't you lat move in the 15U(?) as a Crew Chief in the Army? They have an ass load of CH-47, H-60's, the new Lakota Helo, etc etc.

GREY MATTER
11-02-09, 05:16 AM
if you are honestly in the field then how the **** do you have internet acces and are still concerned with OPSEC?????

sparkie
11-02-09, 07:08 AM
if you are honestly in the field then how the **** do you have internet acces and are still concerned with OPSEC?????

I think they are all [Army] issued laptops. I talk to my son-in-law in Azzcrack all the time.

MLMonk
11-02-09, 07:30 AM
I talk to my Marine friends in Afghanistan on facebook sometimes. They get internet access now.

slimmy07
11-04-09, 08:30 AM

wow! thats kind of harsh. Where the f*ck have you been? We have the internet available in the field and at times we have the phone available. Welcome to the year 2009, its not 1969.

slimmy07
11-04-09, 08:32 AM
yes, you can join the USMC/R. You will enlist as if you were a new applicant. Depending on your rank, you may get E-3 out of boot camp. When I was on recruiting duty I put in a National Guard Sergeant and he got E-3.

hollywdmarine
11-17-09, 10:35 PM
dude unlessit was "amryairforces' inthe 40,syou ****ed up beinganarmy dog.now you want themarines tostraightenthingsup.well one youkeepyourranand caneven ask for astripeifyougowithan"openMOS".crewchiefs dontstart as such.youstart as say 6113,ch53 helmechanic,thenthru mechinsshools and exp you "test forcrewchief. .Manonce yo become amrine you will be so imbarrassedyou everwasArmy. by the waymy typing sucksbecause unlikethearmy the Marine Corps wasnt full of secretaries

hollywdmarine
11-17-09, 10:37 PM
also yes you do haveto do boot.geta contract for airwing and also rank upon boot grad

Lupo22
11-18-09, 06:39 AM
Um. Use the SPACE BAR.

GSEMarine94
11-18-09, 07:43 AM
dude unlessit was "amryairforces' inthe 40,syou ****ed up beinganarmy dog.now you want themarines tostraightenthingsup.well one youkeepyourranand caneven ask for astripeifyougowithan"openMOS".crewchiefs dontstart as such.youstart as say 6113,ch53 helmechanic,thenthru mechinsshools and exp you "test forcrewchief. .Manonce yo become amrine you will be so imbarrassedyou everwasArmy. by the waymy typing sucksbecause unlikethearmy the Marine Corps wasnt full of secretaries

What?

benw2200
11-18-09, 11:26 AM

I know for a fact they taught basic sentence structure in high school and I know high school is required for the Marine Corps...what am I missing?

Hotel4341
11-18-09, 01:24 PM
by the waymy typing sucksbecause unlikethearmy the Marine Corps wasnt full of secretaries

I feel like I'm about to be shot for my lack of tact, but seriously corporal, the rest of us were/are in the Marine Corps too, and we don't have completely incomprehensible posts like this.

Zulu 36
11-18-09, 01:39 PM
I feel like I'm about to be shot for my lack of tact, but seriously corporal, the rest of us were/are in the Marine Corps too, and we don't have completely incomprehensible posts like this.

It's OK, you're right, Hotel 4341.

I can't understand a thing either. It's like somebody was drunk while they typed.

Wyoming
11-18-09, 01:43 PM

also yes you do haveto do boot.geta contract for airwing and also rank upon boot grad

JeEs UsH aCh Fu CkI nGkEe RiEEeSTt, WtF iS gOiNg On HeRe!!

areyoureallyforrealandthatprofileshotofyourswhodid you1sttakeitfor???:sick:

MLMonk
11-18-09, 06:16 PM

I think I cracked the code..

Dude unless it was "army airforces" in the 40's, you ****ed up being an army dog. Now you want the Marines to straighten things up. Well one you keep your rank and can even ask for a stripe if you go with an "Open MOS". Crewchiefs don't start as such. You start as say a 6113, CH-53 mechanic, then through mechanics school and exp you "test for crew chief". Man once you become a Marine you will be so imbarrassed you were ever army.