PDA

View Full Version : Infantry Weapons Officer

Ice Mountain
10-30-09, 04:27 PM
Good Evening Marines.

I was doing research on the history of the Marine Corps, occupations, ranks etc. I'm trying to find more information on Infantry Weapons Officer (0306). There doesn't seem to be very much information on warrant officers, but what I've learned is the basic requirements in order to become a warrant officer. I'm specifically interested in the Gunner warrant officer. What billets do these Marines take? Do they replace the platoon leader or are they used more for an assistant to the platoon leader or higher up to assist the company commander? What would the Gunner's "job" be while deployed?

Please understand that I am just doing research to better understand the Marine Corps.

Thanks! Very much appreciated Marines!

josephd
10-30-09, 08:35 PM
Platoon Commander would more than likely be the billet, if you wanna be a Warrant Officer I would concern yourself first with being a $hit hot enlisted Marine working your way up the ranks and being a phenominal leader. Then maybe, just maybe you will be allowed to put in for an officers package.

Quinbo
10-30-09, 08:50 PM
The genuine true blue gunner with bursting bomb on one collar and warrent officer on the other is the battalion commanders weapons expert. He didn't get there by chance. He acts as an advisor for all weapons in the infantry. He is probably 50 years old and walks with a limp. You get to work at 0500 he got there at 0430 get there at 0430 he got there at three. He has seen more shiiit in his life than you ever want to and can tell you about the maintenance and deployment of any weapon. It is nothing you can can get by sharpening pencils in the head shed.

Backhaus 1103
10-30-09, 09:37 PM
The Battalion Gunner is like God.

Ice Mountain
10-30-09, 09:43 PM
The genuine true blue gunner with bursting bomb on one collar and warrent officer on the other is the battalion commanders weapons expert. He didn't get there by chance. He acts as an advisor for all weapons in the infantry. He is probably 50 years old and walks with a limp. You get to work at 0500 he got there at 0430 get there at 0430 he got there at three. He has seen more shiiit in his life than you ever want to and can tell you about the maintenance and deployment of any weapon. It is nothing you can can get by sharpening pencils in the head shed.

:D I like that description

WKranz
11-01-09, 11:37 AM
Gunners are totally badass. Mine got hit in the face by a ricochet and was back running the range the next day.

Zulu 36
11-01-09, 04:16 PM

A true blue Gunner can address the Regimental Sergeant Major as , "Hey, Boot," and get away with it.

Quinbo
11-03-09, 01:37 AM
The gunner takes a wheel barrow to the Marine Corps ball to carry all the extra medals that he couldn't fit on his uniform. The battalion commander calls him sir. He hates officers but loves sergeants. When the general comes in he shakes hands with the gunner first. The gunner sips ice water but nothing pleases him more than being surrounded by rowdy Marines. He'll arm wrestle you for a drink and then lose on purpose so he can spring for a round. In 5th Marines we all feared and respected Gunner Mack ... the only ones that ever got a pass were Sgts. 2nd Lt's ran and hid when he was out and about. God rest your soul gunner Mack.

0331 2 0369
11-03-09, 07:09 AM
The gunner takes a wheel barrow to the Marine Corps ball to carry all the extra medals that he couldn't fit on his uniform. The battalion commander calls him sir. He hates officers but loves sergeants. When the general comes in he shakes hands with the gunner first. The gunner sips ice water but nothing pleases him more than being surrounded by rowdy Marines. He'll arm wrestle you for a drink and then lose on purpose so he can spring for a round. In 5th Marines we all feared and respected Gunner Mack ... the only ones that ever got a pass were Sgts. 2nd Lt's ran and hid when he was out and about. God rest your soul gunner Mack.

That pretty much sums up all of the Gunners I have ever know. Well respected, smart asses that loves the NCO's that actually run the battalion.

itzs4m
11-03-09, 10:22 AM
here's your answer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_Weapons_Officer

itzs4m
11-03-09, 10:26 AM
oops repost
(http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_Weapons_Officer)

GR037
11-03-09, 01:21 PM
My last Platoon Sergeant (whom I still speak with on a weekly basis) was actually just selected for the Warrant Officer Program. He will be a GUNNER, as he is an 0369. All of the scoop he's been getting indicates that he will intitially assume the post of Battalion Gunner, but he has no idea where. From there, he's expecting a range or school house type of duty (similar to FMF/b-billet rotations).

We actually spoke very recently about how the powers that be select the Marines. He has no idea really. He was DI, but he said a couple of the Marines selected don't even have a special duty assignments under their belts. I assumed that would've been a biggie, but apparently not. He was also a sniper, and we believe that has a lot to do with it. Not the neccesarily the scoped rifle part of it, but probably the target acquisition and supporting arms employment aspect of it.

And he's got several combat deployments, as a SNCO, performing various jobs in various billets (Plt Sgt, Plt Commander, both Weapons and Rifle Companies). I think that knowing your way around a Battalion COC plays a role in the selection process.

But overall, he's not sure, and frankly doesn't care! There were only (12) WO's selected from the 03 community this FY, so he's just pumped that he was one of them.

0331 2 0369
11-03-09, 01:29 PM
My last Platoon Sergeant (whom I still speak with on a weekly basis) was actually just selected for the Warrant Officer Program. He will be a GUNNER, as he is an 0369. All of the scoop he's been getting indicates that he will intitially assume the post of Battalion Gunner, but he has no idea where. From there, he's expecting a range or school house type of duty (similar to FMF/b-billet rotations).

We actually spoke very recently about how the powers that be select the Marines. He has no idea really. He was DI, but he said a couple of the Marines selected don't even have a special duty assignments under their belts. I assumed that would've been a biggie, but apparently not. He was also a sniper, and we believe that has a lot to do with it. Not the neccesarily the scoped rifle part of it, but probably the target acquisition and supporting arms employment aspect of it.

And he's got several combat deployments, as a SNCO, performing various jobs in various billets (Plt Sgt, Plt Commander, both Weapons and Rifle Companies). I think that knowing your way around a Battalion COC plays a role in the selection process.

But overall, he's not sure, and frankly doesn't care! There were only (12) WO's selected from the 03 community this FY, so he's just pumped that he was one of them.

Thats good for your friend. It is a small community he is joining. And I highly respected group of Marines.

As for him being a DI and serving on a B-billet..... really no biggie. Does help but not a killer when applying. Being a Scout Sniper definitely helped out but mainly being a platoon Sergeant with plenty of experience is what makes or breaks a lot of people. I have several friends that went into the Gunner side of the house. Two of them never served on a B-billet but both were good SNCO's in the infantry and one was the PltSgt for Scout Sniper Plt while the other was a PltSgt for a MAP (Mobile Assault Platoon for anyone not knowing what that stood for). Both are good friends and Great Marines.

Tell your friend congrats.

GR037
11-03-09, 01:39 PM
Yeah, he was a rock star. He was my Platoon Sergeant while we were at OCS...we were teaching basic infantry classes, nothing sexy at all, but I learned an awful lot from him.

He called me all super excited about being selected...I was/am really happy for him. The only horrible part of it is that he hits the school on 1 Feb. in Quantico, and he's from Texas and was a 1st MarDiv guy for a long time, so he doesn't really do cold! It'll be worth it though...I keep telling him that I'm jealous that he gets to wear the bursting bomb on the collar. That's gotta be an awesome feeling of pride.

0331 2 0369
11-03-09, 01:45 PM
Yeah, he was a rock star. He was my Platoon Sergeant while we were at OCS...we were teaching basic infantry classes, nothing sexy at all, but I learned an awful lot from him.

He called me all super excited about being selected...I was/am really happy for him. The only horrible part of it is that he hits the school on 1 Feb. in Quantico, and he's from Texas and was a 1st MarDiv guy for a long time, so he doesn't really do cold! It'll be worth it though...I keep telling him that I'm jealous that he gets to wear the bursting bomb on the collar. That's gotta be an awesome feeling of pride.

There are several of us on this site from here in the Quantico area. Maybe we could get together with him sometime and buy him a beer or two or six.:beer:

GR037
11-03-09, 01:54 PM
Definitely...I actually just reenlisted into the Reserves after being out for 2 years. I'm going to try and get in as many schools as I can between now and our deployment. I already told the Gunny that if I attend a school aboard MCB Quantico it would be game on for celebrating. I would love to be out there for the promotion on 2 Feb., but you know how it is. I was thinking of maybe the MCMAP IT Course, but being in TX, they may send me to CA, and that's if we even have any quotas...