View Full Version : C-130 and AH-1W Super Cobra collide

10-30-09, 10:55 AM

There was an earlier crash between a cobra and huey last week in Afghan. I bet anything this can be chalked up to communication breakdown.

10-30-09, 11:07 AM
Or limited flight hours.

10-30-09, 11:28 AM
Thank You L/Cpl , Let all say a prayer for our Brothers Down and their Families.


10-30-09, 12:02 PM
the crash last night off of the coast of cali was bad. 9 missing personel. because of the crash the entire 3rd maw grounded all aircarft on the west coast.

10-31-09, 12:33 AM
And I'm going there in less than 15 days....

Lisa 23
10-31-09, 09:28 AM
One pilot's body found after Coast Guard, Marine crash.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The U.S. Coast Guard says searchers have found the body of one pilot whose plane disappeared off the Texas coast.

A flotilla of rescue vessels continued its search Saturday for nine people feared dead at sea following an air collision between a Coast Guard aircraft and a Marine Corps helicopter.

The Coast Guard said in a news release that the body was found Friday afternoon when a floating rig's crew reported something in the water.

The dead pilot was not identified, but the Navy has said 29-year-old Lt. John Joseph Houston, of Houston, and 30-year-old Lt. Bret Travis Miller, of East Troy (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/East+Troy), Wis., were on board.

Naval Air Station Corpus Christi lost contact with the Navy T-34C Turbomentor training plane Wednesday afternoon. The plane's last known location was near San Jose Island.

Thursday's crash involved a Coast Guard C-130 with a seven-member crew and a Marine Corps AH-1W Super Cobra with two aboard as it flew in formation near the Navy's San Clemente Island (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/States,+Territories,+Provinces,+Islands/San+Clemente+Island), a site with training ranges for amphibious, air, surface and undersea warfare.

The collision occurred as the Coast Guard airplane was itself carrying out a search for a missing boatman.

Officials were collecting evidence and reviewing recordings of transmissions by the aircraft to try to determine how the collision occurred.

The accident happened at 7:10 p.m. in airspace uncontrolled by the FAA and inside a so-called military warning area, which is at times open to civilian aircraft and at times closed for military use, Federal Aviation Administration (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Government+Bodies/Federal+Aviation+Administration) spokesman Ian Gregor said. He did not know the status of the airspace at the time.

Capt. Tom Farris, commander of the Coast Guard's San Diego sector, said it's not unusual to have a high volume of military traffic working in training areas and pilots in the area are responsible for seeing other aircraft around them under a so-called "see-and-avoid principle."

Minutes before the collision, the FAA told the C-130 pilot to begin communicating with military controllers at Naval Air Station North Island in San Diego Bay, but it was not known if the pilot did so, Gregor said.

The search covered 644 square miles of ocean but rescuers were concentrating on a debris field 50 miles off the San Diego coast.

Officials did not immediately release names of the crewmembers.

The Sacramento-based C-130 crew was looking for 50-year-old David Jines, who was reported missing after leaving Avalon Harbor on Santa Catalina Island man in a 12-foot motorized skiff to reach a friend in high winds Tuesday, authorities said.

The four-engine plane was conducting its search from an altitude of 900 to 1,000 feet and visibility was 15 miles.

Jines' friend, Linda Jones, told The Associated Press that Jines boarded her disabled yacht and helped her maneuver to an area where they thought they had made anchor. After helping her, he set off to return to his sailboat, which was anchored at the Avalon harbor.

She reported Jines missing the next day when she returned to the harbor and couldn't find him.
"I didn't know Dave was in any kind of peril," she said.