PDA

View Full Version : OSO Wont respond

reload0024
10-30-09, 10:29 AM
Its been over a month since my OSO has replied to any of my messages.
Ive tried sending 3 e-mails since the last time he responded and still nothing. This is very frustrating to me as this is what I want to do the most and at this time it looks like the Marines don't want me. Are there more OSOs at a station, or is it usually just one? Maybe I should go down there and find a different one? Ill even drive to another city if I have to.

Wyoming
10-30-09, 10:32 AM
I hate emails, asking me a question.

Go talk to him in person.

reload0024
10-30-09, 10:33 AM
Ill be going down there today after my next class.
Hopefully hell be in the office. Ill let you know how it goes.

Lisa 23
10-30-09, 10:34 AM
Hello Sir.

I have been talking to my OSO via e-mail for the past couple weeks.
I did the pre screen before meeting with him, and I did have a red flag in the medical history that would require a waiver.

Since then he hasn't been too responsive. He last left me with I do not want to waste your time, so I will get back to you when I find out more information.

He hasn't said I do not qualify sorry, so I am guessing he sent this information to MEPS doctors?

I have been e-mailing him with more accurate and specific information including the actual medical records but haven't received a response.

I am guessing that either MEPS said no, or he is still waiting.

My question to you is do you think it would be rude for me to go down to the OSS in person? Or should I wait until he responds back. He said to fill out the pre form before coming down, and hasn't asked me to come down at all so I don't want to be a bother to him.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Nate

Seems like you've asked this question already in another thread....
Marine Officer Programs
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10582&page=2

Wyoming
10-30-09, 11:00 AM
Simple.

He didn't get the answer he wanted.

Lisa 23
10-30-09, 11:36 AM
Simple.

He didn't get the answer he wanted.
Why does it always seem that if these young men and women don't get the answers that they want from their Recruiters or the OCO, that they expect us to give them a better answer than their Recruiter or the OCO?
Marines who do give advice try and give the best advice possible and we aren't Recruiters, nor are we Dr's from MEPS. If they can't get in for whatever reason, we don't know why, but yet they think we should. That's why you have a Recruiter or a OCO, start asking them more questions about your MOS's, contracts, MEPS and whatever else. Don't just sign your life away without know what you're signing and then walk away....ask questions!
I'm not saying don't ask Marines questions here, but how about asking questions more on the line of your career choice as a Marine.

slimmy07
10-30-09, 11:49 AM
There is also an OSA that works with the OSO. The OSA is typically a GYSgt who is on recruiting duty, but gets is assignment to assist the OSO. You can try and reach him/her.

reload0024
10-30-09, 10:00 PM
You're right I did not get the answer I wanted. I didn't get ANY answer.
I went down to the office, the OSA was there, the OSO was in Virginia. OSA said he doesn't know why the OSO hadn't responded but he left him a note, and the OSA also said the news from MEPS should have been sent back he has no idea why I havent been given an answer yet. He told me to call the OSO on monday.

commdog7
10-30-09, 10:43 PM
I don't really understand the purpose of this thread. Why hasn't the OSO called you back? Hmm.... Could it be that he has another important issue he has to attend too? Maybe his phone broke. Or maybe he just doesn't like you... how the heck should I know. I can't give you a magic number to solve your problems, there is nothing any of us can do for you. You should cry to your recruiter, not to me- what am I supposed to do?

These are the types of things that drive Marines nuts on here. Before you ask a question, you should ask yourself if we are the best source of information. We are here to answer questions about Marine life, not to diagnose injuries, approve waivers, or answer questions best suited for a recruiter.

You wanted it, here it is: talk to your recruiter. I thought it was common sense, but apparently common sense isn't too common these days.

reload0024
10-31-09, 08:31 AM
Commdog I didnt realize this thread was directed towards anyone.
Anyway, if we dissect my first post we will find a question.

Ive tried sending 3 e-mails since the last time he responded and still nothing. This is very frustrating to me as this is what I want to do the most and at this time it looks like the Marines don't want me. Are there more OSOs at a station, or is it usually just one? Maybe I should go down there and find a different one? Ill even drive to another city if I have to.

You say talk to my recruiter but the thing is, hes been impossible to get a hold of, hence my problem. This is the ask a Marine forum right?

Wyoming
10-31-09, 09:26 AM
Commdog I didnt realize this thread was directed towards anyone.
Anyway, if we dissect my first post we will find a question.

You say talk to my recruiter but the thing is, hes been impossible to get a hold of, hence my problem. This is the ask a Marine forum right?

Why should we have to dissect a post? Just ask the question.

... and hence, your problem, isn't his, it's yours.

3 emails in a month, from you. I wonder how many emails and text messages he receives in a month? You ain't the only one he has to deal with.

Yep, this is the ask a Marine forum. Here's an answer.

Plant your ass at his office. Don't leave until you have the answers. Don't come back here and whine, saying you did not get the answers you want, from the RS, and want to know what you should do. Man up and grow a set!

reload0024
10-31-09, 09:39 AM
A month is a long time to be non responsive don't you think?
General business rule of thumb is to return correspondence within forty-eight hours, ideally within twenty-four.

Anyway, the reason I ask a Marine these questions is exactly because I know he is dealing with a lot of people, so going down to the office all of the time will be an inconvenience to him. With email he can respond when he gets in, or when ever at anytime he has a minute to type a message. If I just show up without appointment and he has other plans, it is like me saying hey stop what you're doing I am more important.

This threads beating a dead horse anyway I suppose.

Wyoming
10-31-09, 10:02 AM
If you feel better being argumentative, feel free to do so. I feel the need to not respond further.

You have been answered.

Lisa 23
10-31-09, 10:03 AM
Obviously, if you're not getting any responses back to your emails, then he/she has no time to answer them. A Recruiters job is very demanding...always in or out of the office. There were times that when my nephew would want to see his Recruiter, he wouldn't see or hear from him in days. Doesn't mean that he forgot about him, just meant that he was extremely busy.
Like BigAl has suggested, got off your arse, get down to the office and ask your questions that you have face to face. It's the only way you are going to get the answers to the questions that you have. If he/she is in, great. Ask in a nice way, if they have a few moments for you that you have some questions you need to ask. If he/she is extremely busy, then make an appointment to come back. How hard is that!
You're the one who wants to become a Marine, show the initiative that you want to. Any young man or woman who wants to be Marine and walks into a Recruiters office, is there for a reason and is not being an inconvience.
We're not Recruiters here. We can't tell you why he/she isn't getting back to you. We can only give you advice on what to do. What you do with that advice is up to you.

reload0024
10-31-09, 10:16 AM
Ok so I did just get an answer I was looking for, thank you Marines.

reload0024
11-03-09, 12:54 PM
Things are looking as good as they can right now. Im feeling good about everything, I should know within a few weeks! I hope I will be able to become an Officer Candidate soon! Thank you for kicking my butt Marines!

GR037
11-03-09, 01:07 PM
Killer, prepare for what may be a tedious process. I just reenlisted into the Marine Corps Reserves after being out of the Corps for (2) years. My recruiter was awesome, but it was about a (6) month process. I had almost (8) years of active duty and figured it would be a breeze to get back in; wrong answer. My point is that you'll just have to be patient through all of this. As the other Marines mentioned, recruiters are very busy, and, with all due respect, he probably higher priority issues.

Jump through hoops, be aggressive with everything your OSO tasks you with, and then wait patiently! Good luck to you sir.

Also, I taught at OCS for a couple of years (land navigation, customs and courtesies, substance abuse) and will leave you with this advice:

Be in good shape and be ready to display all the leadership qualities you can muster.

reload0024
11-03-09, 01:13 PM
Will do, Ive been getting up at 7am to exercise for 60-90 minutes per morning. Some mornings I decide to sleep in though, this is a work in progress haha. I have been very aggressive and precise with the previous task my OSO gave to me of getting information together for him, he expected me to phone back in a week or two, I phoned back a day later (today.) I am a go getter and when something needs doing, it gets done asap!

GR037
11-03-09, 02:04 PM
Good, that's the way.

Keep up with the exercise. Be careful though; by far the biggest cause for candidates not completing OCS is injuries.

Second to that would probably be "leadership drops". The thing about OCS: just wanting it isn't enough. You have to be packing the gear, both upstairs and in the heart.

But I'm not trying to be negative or discourage you at all; many young men and women do well at OCS and then move on to bigger and better things. It's a really great school.

Best of luck to you!