PDA

View Full Version : General question about life in the Marines

DriveByLawsuit
10-30-09, 02:50 AM
Hello Marines,

I'm currently a freshman at Indiana University, majoring in journalism, and I plan on enlisting in one of the armed services as soon as I graduate. I kinda want to do something that's at least relevant to what I studied, so I've whittled my choices down to either the Marines or Army.

So the Marines are renowned for being the "gung-ho," "grab em by the nose, kick 'em in the teeth," apple-pie bleedin' badasses of our military. They're proud of what they do, and they're not afraid to make themselves heard.

The question I have seems a bit silly, but, would a person who isn't loud or gung-ho fit in with the Corps? I'm a pretty reserved person; I generally keep to myself and I don't talk much. It's not that I'm anti-social; I can work with people and in a team, but I just prefer to do things by myself. I just seem like the anti-thesis of "ideal Marine," but I can't think of anything better than earning that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

Thanks in advance.

Fubar5812
10-30-09, 03:09 AM
of all the things to worry about....

listen, you will change If you make it through Recruit Training in the Marines. I'm not a gung-ho testosterone crazed badass either and I'm doing just fine in the Marines. Being a Marine is knowing when to turn it on and off, we are disciplined and bearing is drilled into your very soul early on.

polizei
10-30-09, 09:21 AM
There are far too many stupid "moto" Marines that just act so retarded, I think the Corps needs "mellow" Marines to balance the mixture. That being said, most Marines I've said are mellow, but also can be loud, etc. just like Fubar said, you learn to adjust it and now when to turn it off/on.

And you'll change. You'll talk to other Marines and make friends no problem, I used to be really shy and quite.

giveen
10-30-09, 09:42 AM
In my shop, we had those gungho guys and we had reserved held back guys like me. Its okay to be quiet as long as you arent a pussy.

Wyoming
10-30-09, 10:01 AM
What is the Army renowned for ....