PDA

View Full Version : Housing for family

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 01:45 AM
My apologies i couldn't come up with a better title.

I plan to enlist in the Marines in the upcoming months, my main concern at this point and time is my father is unable to work and does not get a disability or any other assistance. I am his sole provider.

I am aware that if i was married i would get a housing allowance for my wife and kids. Is there anything that will apply to my father in the same way? If not i have no problem with him living off my base pay he has support me throughout my life it's my turn.

On a side note what is the highest enlisted rank i can graduate basic with?

I look forward to one day serving with y'all and being able to call myself a Marine thank you for your service.:iwo:

Phantom Blooper
10-30-09, 04:00 AM
There used to be paperwork to file to have a parent be your dependent for medical care. You need to check with the recruiter or this may be something that is only available once you hit your permanent duty station.

If you get monies for dependent parents I am not sure.....again you need to get the here and now scoop.

The same goes for base housing.....you have to check it out with a recruiter...or maybe another Marine can answer.

If all else fails just run for POTUS and move them on in.

:evilgrin:

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 06:48 AM
If you get monies for dependent parents I am not sure.....again you need to get the here and now scoop.

:evilgrin:

This is true. All you have to do is prove that he is dependent upon your support. If I am not mistaken, you have to show that you provide atleast 60% support for him. Like Phantom mentioned, talk to your recruiter for exact details but you can claim him as a dependent and it works the same as if you were married.
(and not to your father):D

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the info thus far. I guess i will need to get a job before i go in to show that i am supporting him due to my last job was under the table.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. After basic when i go active duty is there anywhere i can be stationed that is in the united states?

2. Also once im on active duty for my four years is there a period where i can come home and see my father or will i have to fly him to me?

I apologize if im being a pain in the neck with all the questions GOD BLESS!:iwo:

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the info thus far. I guess i will need to get a job before i go in to show that i am supporting him due to my last job was under the table.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. After basic when i go active duty is there anywhere i can be stationed that is in the united states?

2. Also once im on active duty for my four years is there a period where i can come home and see my father or will i have to fly him to me?

I apologize if im being a pain in the neck with all the questions GOD BLESS!:iwo:

Question for you..... Are you financially supporting your father or just taking care of him?

Lisa 23
10-30-09, 01:05 PM
The Marine Corps has boot camp, not basic.
Where your first duty station is where the Marine Corps needs you. Last I knew, you have a wish list at MOS school that you fill out.
You get 30 days leave a year. How and when you use it, is up to you, and when you're out in the fleet, you will be responsible for your own transportation getting home and getting back to your duty station.

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 01:10 PM
Question for you..... Are you financially supporting your father or just taking care of him?

both, currently we do transport (delivery international cab and chassis anywhere in the U.S. without me he cannot do the trips (i do 90% of the driving). without me at home i can see him not surviving very easily

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 01:11 PM
The Marine Corps has boot camp, not basic.
Where your first duty station is where the Marine Corps needs you. Last I knew, you have a wish list at MOS school that you fill out.
You get 30 days leave a year. How and when you use it, is up to you, and when you're out in the fleet, you will be responsible for your own transportation getting home and getting back to your duty station.

Thank you Marine. Boot camp not basic got it.:thumbup:

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:12 PM
both, currently we do transport (delivery international cab and chassis anywhere in the U.S. without me he cannot do the trips (i do 90% of the driving). without me at home i can see him not surviving very easily

Are you the only child? Is there other family members around the area?

Lisa 23
10-30-09, 01:12 PM
Thank you Sir. Boot camp not basic got it.:thumbup:
Do I look like a Sir to you? :mad: And do not say I'm sorry either.

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:13 PM
Thank you Sir. Boot camp not basic got it.:thumbup:

Standby for incoming!!!!!!

Check the profile before you respond to Marines.

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 01:13 PM
Are you the only child? Is there other family members around the area?

his brother and mother live about 60 miles away. and my two half sisters are in Washington and haven't had contact for about 10 years.

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:14 PM
To late. Rounds inbound.:D

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:15 PM
his brother and mother live about 60 miles away. and my two half sisters are in Washington and haven't had contact for about 10 years.

So who would take care of him while you are at bootcamp?

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 01:16 PM
Do I look like a Sir to you? :mad: And do not say I'm sorry either.

No you look like a Marine, Yes Marine.

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 01:17 PM
So who would take care of him while you are at bootcamp?

Himself he wont ask for help from family its always been me and am, i am hoping to put enough money in the bank before i leave to cover anything he needs.

Lisa 23
10-30-09, 01:18 PM
No you look like a Marine, Yes Marine.
Yes, a female Marine.
Don't take for granted that every Marine on this site is a male. Next time before you answer, check proflie.

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:21 PM
Himself he wont ask for help from family its always been me and am, i am hoping to put enough money in the bank before i leave to cover anything he needs.

Thats honorable to be thinking that way but what about him taking care of himself? Is he physically able to? Bare with me here for a couple more minutes. Trying to get more info before giving you more info that you might need to know.

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:24 PM
Yes, a female Marine.
Don't take for granted that every Marine on this site is a male. Next time before you answer, check proflie.

You are going to have to change your sig-line to say "I AM A WM" or something down those lines. Seems a lot of people don't know you or look at your profile before responding to your post. Sometimes it's funny though.

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 01:36 PM
Thats honorable to be thinking that way but what about him taking care of himself? Is he physically able to? Bare with me here for a couple more minutes. Trying to get more info before giving you more info that you might need to know.

Hes physically able to take care of himself just unable to work.

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:45 PM
Hes physically able to take care of himself just unable to work.

Your options are that..... your options. If you can provide proof that you provide 60% of his financial support, you should be able to get him added on as a dependent. Better check with a recruiter for that percentage though. I may be off on that. And I am not sure if you can take care of that prior to coming in. There are a couple of current and former recruiters on here that can weigh in on this topic. It may come down to wether he lives with you or on his own. If he lives with you and you support him financially, you can have him added as a dependent (pay and benefits will extend to him). I know a couple of people in that boat. In their situations, their parent lives with them at their home near their duty station. If you haven't talked to a recruiter yet, go talk to one and they will have the latest and greatest info to pass on.

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:46 PM
One more thing..... How old are you?

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 01:57 PM
One more thing..... How old are you?

I am 19 my father is 65

0331 2 0369
10-30-09, 01:59 PM
Take time to go talk to a recruiter. Find out everything you can on your first visit and let us know what he/she says. This could be a learning experience for us too. Good luck.

Old Marine
10-30-09, 07:22 PM
F3RR3T:

Why the hell are you joining my Marine Corps? What the hell is your dad going to do if (heaven forbid) you ddon't get back from the war.

You couldn't have joined for the money. Do you realize how much you will be home.(very little) I would suggest that you think long and hard about the decision you seem to have made.

If you dad cannot work, why isn't he drawing wor,mans comp, SSi or some other govt. funds. If he is 65 he is eligible for Social Security. I rest my case.

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 07:34 PM
F3RR3T:

Why the hell are you joining my Marine Corps? What the hell is your dad going to do if (heaven forbid) you ddon't get back from the war.

You couldn't have joined for the money. Do you realize how much you will be home.(very little) I would suggest that you think long and hard about the decision you seem to have made.

If you dad cannot work, why isn't he drawing wor,mans comp, SSi or some other govt. funds. If he is 65 he is eligible for Social Security. I rest my case.
He's not eligible for SSI due to the fact he hasn't payed income tax since 67. Once i got out of boot camp i figured i would relocate him to close by wherever i am stationed.

Wyoming
10-30-09, 08:17 PM
He's not eligible for SSI due to the fact he hasn't payed income tax since 67. Once i got out of boot camp i figured i would relocate him to close by wherever i am stationed.

25 ****ing posts and the story comes out.

When were you going to divulge this info?

Nevermind!:mad:

josephd
10-30-09, 08:52 PM
F3RR3T, this is JDWUSMC off GMFullsize...

Again while I commend you for wanting to join our beloved Corps, from everything I know about you so far from reading your posts here and on GMFS, I just don't believe its a right move for you with everything you have to worry about and your attitude that I can sense

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 08:55 PM
F3RR3T, this is JDWUSMC off GMFullsize...

Again while I commend you for wanting to join our beloved Corps, from everything I know about you so far from reading your posts here and on GMFS, I just don't believe its a right move for you with everything you have to worry about and your attitude that I can sense

Well hello there. My attitude is what i want to work on over the next few months. I no longer have the stress and drama of the X-fiance and the kids and i believe that will improve my attitude greatly. I know personally on a spiritual and mental level i need alot of work.

F3RR3T
10-30-09, 09:03 PM
25 ****ing posts and the story comes out.

When were you going to divulge this info?

Nevermind!:mad:

didnt even think about it till it was brought up my apologies.

F3RR3T
10-31-09, 03:59 AM
Will my father even be able to have access to my funds while im in boot camp? I was just told by a marine that once you reach boot-camp they create a bank account for you and give you a debit card and you do not have the option to change it till you graduate.

Wyoming
10-31-09, 09:06 AM
F3RR3T:Why the hell are you joining my Marine Corps? What the hell is your dad going to do if (heaven forbid) you ddon't get back from the war.

Son, you have way to many issues to be answered on this site.

Each time you come aboard with a question, it is somehow answered with the data you provided, and then you return with more questions, more confusing than the last.

You need to talk to a professional, not an internet forum.

Lisa 23
10-31-09, 10:11 AM
Will my father even be able to have access to my funds while im in boot camp? I was just told by a marine that once you reach boot-camp they create a bank account for you and give you a debit card and you do not have the option to change it till you graduate.
When using the word Marine, it will be capitalized at all times.
NO, your father will not have access to any of your funds during boot camp, and NO, you won't be able to send him any money home during boot camp either.
My advice to you...you're only 19. Get a full time job, help your dad out and try and save some money. After a couple of years that you see that things are a bit better financially, then go and see a Recruiter and take it from there. Like Big Al said, you have way to many issues to be dealt here on this site.
We're not Recruiters, nor are we councelors either. The Marines here try to give the best advice possible. What you do with that advice to up to you.
Good luck to you.

Old Marine
10-31-09, 10:47 AM
The Marine Corps has enough problems, without aquiring another one.