PDA

View Full Version : Recruit Training Questions

Poolee Johnson
10-29-09, 11:16 AM
I was just curious about how much time is devoted to PT everyday. Through the DEP grapevine i've heard all sorts of answers, some say not alot but when you do it it's usually to the verge of then to the obstacle course. Others claim you will do things similar to a circuit course with multiple workouts for time periods. This question arose due to the latest Pool function which was a circuit course. My second question is what happens at medical when you're in receiving? Is this a shortened version of MEPS to make sure nothing has changed in your paperwork or are they doing the same process? Third and final question is dental, if you have dental work done do they just do a quick check or do they re-do this work to Marine Corps standards?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

polizei
10-29-09, 11:30 AM
The PT will vary. You'll do everything from running, to pushups, situps, etc. to the O course, confidence course, and circuits. I don't think there's a specific daily PT schedule.

From what I can remember, med and dental screening is more of waiting around and trying not to fall asleep then anything actually being done. If you need dental work, they'll provide it to you. I had nothing wrong with me, so they just checked me real quick and let me go. It's not like MEPS, trust me...you'll see.

Have fun!

firedog974
10-29-09, 11:36 AM
It seemed like you PT all the time from what I remember. As I recall if you wern't doing an actual PT session on a given day you ran an O-course, did line training (now called Marine Corps Martial Arts), or humped. And even if you did not do that, you would either be pitted or quarterdecked a few times a day (usually in addition to whatever PT you have already done). Even during team week our DI's would PT us when we got back to the barracks in the evening. Trust me when I say you will get plenty of PT.....probably a lot more than you want. As far as medical goes I mainly remember getting a butload of shots and a brief exam. At dental they will check to make sure your teeth are clean and you have no dental problems. Dental is something you will always have to deal with in the Corps and you have to get your teeth cleaned regularly. If you do not stay on top of your dental work you can be deemed "non-deployable" and that is a bad thing. Although it has been a while since I was on the Island, I doubt it has changed much.

Zulu 36
10-29-09, 03:43 PM
It seemed like you PT all the time from what I remember. As I recall if you wern't doing an actual PT session on a given day you ran an O-course, did line training (now called Marine Corps Martial Arts), or humped. And even if you did not do that, you would either be pitted or quarterdecked a few times a day (usually in addition to whatever PT you have already done). Even during team week our DI's would PT us when we got back to the barracks in the evening. Trust me when I say you will get plenty of PT.....probably a lot more than you want. As far as medical goes I mainly remember getting a butload of shots and a brief exam. At dental they will check to make sure your teeth are clean and you have no dental problems. Dental is something you will always have to deal with in the Corps and you have to get your teeth cleaned regularly. If you do not stay on top of your dental work you can be deemed "non-deployable" and that is a bad thing. Although it has been a while since I was on the Island, I doubt it has changed much.

And don't forget close order drill. That is a gentle workout compared to a good sand pit visit, but still and hour or two a day flinging rifles about and trooping and stomping all add to the flavor. Marine Corps drill has it's particular style and until that is learned, it can be physically difficult (not counting pit sessions).

giveen
10-29-09, 04:27 PM
You will work out constantly. I dont remember a place we didnt march or run to.

Poolee Johnson
10-30-09, 09:43 AM
How intense were the workout sessions usually from your experience? When we were doing the circuit course they worked us so hard with star jumps when I left that station the lactic acid in my legs was so bad i was running with my knees bent at 90 degrees because I couldn't straighten them out to support my weight and this is how I imagine Recruit Training being which is why im asking.

giveen
10-30-09, 09:50 AM
How intense were the workout sessions usually from your experience? When we were doing the circuit course they worked us so hard with star jumps when I left that station the lactic acid in my legs was so bad i was running with my knees bent at 90 degrees because I couldn't straighten them out to support my weight and this is how I imagine Recruit Training being which is why im asking.
Worse. You won't be given a break, there will be no end to it till 9pm.