PDA

View Full Version : The "OLD" Corps

mark.c.warren
08-17-03, 02:49 AM
My uncle told me this, in response to a question about Chesty Puller.

As a young Marine my uncle was stationed in Camp LeJeune.
Chesty Puller was also assigned to that base, they did not however travel in the same circles and my uncle mentioned that most of the guys were quite willing to keep there distance frome "Chesty". Rather than being the kindly grandfather figure, they were somewhat afraid of the legend.

One day , about 12 miles into a road march my uncle and his fellow marines were resting. They were told to remove there boots, to their surprise they were ordered to toss their boots into recently arrived trucks. The trucks promptly drove off. The troops were then ordered to take their second pair of boots from their packs and put them on. They all marched back.

MCW

Devildogg4ever
08-17-03, 06:08 AM
I reckon I would be leery of a man of that caliber, too! Until you meet a man, and get to know how he thinks, it's probably best to keep a low profile. At the same time, I was told "You show me a man who puts his pants on different from the rest, and I'll show you a faggot!"

Personally, I think it's what that man can do to ya after he gets his drawers on!!!

Barrio_rat
08-17-03, 12:12 PM
No doubt there, Devildogg4ever. I had this Gunny who was a stickler on appearance. His rules were simple though. If what he’d catch you on was out of order on him, he wouldn’t call you on it. I never saw him with anything less than a spit shine on his boots and he never wore a mustache. If his hair was a bit long in the morning you could bet your bottom dollar he’d be getting a hair cut at lunch time - so, if your hair was a bit long, he’d expect to see you in the barber shop as well. When the lunch break was over and he had his hair cut and you did not - look out! He digged me on my mustache once, told me if he had to tell me to trim it again I’d have to shave it off. It wasn’t long before he told me I had to shave it off. I questioned him on this and asked if he actually had the authority to order me to shave off my mustache. He said no, but if I wanted, he could do what he did have the authority to do. I opted for shaving. He was always a fair man. He had his game but he never changed the rules - even if you won.