PDA

View Full Version : Too old?

SquirtGunner247
10-27-09, 04:40 PM
This question is based more on your personal opinions, but any facts would definitely be welcomed. I recently turned 27 and wanting to be a Marine is a personal goal / desire of mine that has not subsided over the years as many have suggested to me. I've been talking to my recruiter and he has informed me that my PT scores "are first class for someone of my age" as I have been holding myself to the standards of a first class requirement for someone out of HS. I scored a 73 on my ASVAB, but asked to retake it because I had not planned on taking it at that time. To get to the point, is it frowned upon for joining so late in life? I'm not doing this for bragging rights, or to prove anything to anyone other than myself. The only reason I've waited this long is that I am the oldest sibling and the ONLY son in my family, and with respect to my parents, I've always "found something else to do." No career or amount of money has changed the way I've felt over the years. Now is my time. I just don't want to look back when I'm 50 and have this as my only regret.

Supersquishy
10-27-09, 04:49 PM
1. Before you get your arse handed to you, please fill out your profile.

2. I learned not to have my age be a factor on something I want to do, I will probably be the oldest Corporal in the Marine Corps when I get back in.

SquirtGunner247
10-27-09, 05:00 PM
Filled out the profile... Got gigged on it almost as soon as I posted! I also don't know how to repost under the correct forum. Has that been taken care of, if not, I need some assistance with that. Thanks!

josephd
10-27-09, 05:02 PM
As long as you are in the proper physical and mental shape to do it, then no you aren't to old. Just remember you are going to have NCO's quite a bit younger than you with more Corps experience telling you what to do.

I had a few guys between boot, SOI, and MOS school that were in their late 20's going on 30. I am an older PFC myself, gonna be 25 next month but becoming a Marine was the best choice I have ever made. Its actually kind of nice, I get along with my Platoon Sergeant and Platoon Commander very well because we are all the same age.

Don't worry about what other people will think or anything like that, if it is what you want and are prepared for it then go do it

MD8724
10-27-09, 05:23 PM
I worked with a 28 year old Sgt (just got promoted in a little over two years), and a 28 year old LCpl. I believe I had someone in my platoon that was 26, although I honestly don't remember. You should be good. Like they said though, you will work with some younger people, and at time they may not be the most mature. Usually the only problems the older guys had was getting ****ed and mouthing off at the wrong time.

You should be good to join though. I don't even think you need a waiver, although i could be mistaken.

firedog974
10-27-09, 05:30 PM
This question is based more on your personal opinions, but any facts would definitely be welcomed. I recently turned 27 and wanting to be a Marine is a personal goal / desire of mine that has not subsided over the years as many have suggested to me. I've been talking to my recruiter and he has informed me that my PT scores "are first class for someone of my age" as I have been holding myself to the standards of a first class requirement for someone out of HS. I scored a 73 on my ASVAB, but asked to retake it because I had not planned on taking it at that time. To get to the point, is it frowned upon for joining so late in life? I'm not doing this for bragging rights, or to prove anything to anyone other than myself. The only reason I've waited this long is that I am the oldest sibling and the ONLY son in my family, and with respect to my parents, I've always "found something else to do." No career or amount of money has changed the way I've felt over the years. Now is my time. I just don't want to look back when I'm 50 and have this as my only regret.

It sounds like you know the answer here. I have known a lot of older Marines when I was in, and they were all very sucessful. Your maturity level will really help you excel in the Corps. Go after what you want, to hell with your age.

commdog7
10-27-09, 05:46 PM
If you don't have a problem taking orders from Marines younger than you, go for it. You'll probably take some sh!t from your DI's, but the extra experience you have might make you a decent leader. My SSgt came in when he was 28, he's one of the best leaders I've ever had the priviledge of working with. Age doesn't make you any more or less a Marine, it's what you do with it that matters.

echo3oscar1833
10-27-09, 06:06 PM
If you don't have a problem taking orders from Marines younger than you, go for it. You'll probably take some sh!t from your DI's, but the extra experience you have might make you a decent leader. My SSgt came in when he was 28, he's one of the best leaders I've ever had the priviledge of working with. Age doesn't make you any more or less a Marine, it's what you do with it that matters.

Semper :thumbup:

DADDYMAC34
10-27-09, 06:24 PM
In the "way back machine". I remember 2 guys your age at boot camp. They were both married with kids around 5. They both made it but struggled emotionally having to leave there wife and kids. The DIs actually cut them slack from time to time. Those of us that were 18 didn't mind. We figured there home sickness was different and worse than ours. I know family separation is part of the "Corps". Nothing prepares you for boot camp and having a wife and toddler at home with no contact has got to tear you apart. Something to think about. If that is not your case - GO FOR IT!!! As I said both men made it!

SquirtGunner247
10-27-09, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the input so far Marines. I kind of figured that's what I was going to hear, not that I NEEDED to, but it was just good to hear it before I raise my right hand and make the jump so to speak. To comment briefly on DADDYMAC34's response, I'm single with no children! All the "signs" my whole life pointed to this... I'm looking at shipping out in January, so I've been amping up my personal PT routine in the time being. Thanks again:)

slimmy07
10-29-09, 01:35 PM
I'm good friends with a 34 year old SSgt who joined the Corps at 27 years old. Its not frowned upon at all, but you have to join before it's too late. The Corps has a strict age limit and it does NOT have to do with physical fitness like most people think. It has to do with taking orders and such. Imagine if your a 40 year old PFC taking orders form a 20 year old CPL? Thats where the problem is with age. I completely disagree with the Army where you can join in your 40's.

Donut Brigade
10-29-09, 01:51 PM
Older guys happen to be a lot more mature and take stressful situations betters, at least in my shop. Depending on the MOS you pick, rank may not matter nearly as much. In my shop you are a technician first, Marine second. We have a LCpl and a Cpl who are CDIs and get to tell Sgts what needs to be done, and how to do it properly.

We had a PFC back in Miramar who got busted down from Cpl, but nobody messed with him because he was the best radar tech in the whole squadron.