PDA

View Full Version : Letter from a Vet Marine in Iraq

greensideout
08-16-03, 09:01 PM
A Vet Marine and good friend that I work with, or at least did untill he deployed to Iraq with his army reserve civil affairs unit sent this letter. I thought you might enjoy excerpts from it.

"I hear the Royals are 7 games in front of the White Sox; it must be snowing in HELL right now."

"Well things here aren't getting much better. I'm still living in downtown Bagubah, but in a different building. The people here have changed their whole look on the U.S. Forces in their country. At first they seemed to love us, now they seem to love trying to kill us. Last week our bulding was attacked 4 times. Twice we were mortared; both times hitting right outside the fence. One RPG attack that hit a water truck that we took from some thieves and one drive-by. Luckily no one was hurt in any of the attacks, but that's not the case for other soldiers in the AO, we have 3-4 wounded or killed every week. It may not sound like a lot, but this is only one town."

"Anyway, on the flip side of things, we finally go A/C. Talk about a "GOD Send". There's nothing like coming out of 135-degree heat into a room with a cool 80-85 degree temperture. We have done a lot of work to the places we are at. They are even trying to get Sat TV with U.S. channels."

"Also, I got my hands on a BKM, it's a Russian machine gun. It's big and a little heavy, but I carry it anyway. It's brand new too. I traded a thing of Gatorade for it from this Captain. No kidding! And the next day, he gave me two 200 round belts and 500 rounds and a tripod that I jerry-rigged to the back of my humvee. I traded one of the 200 round belts and ammo for a 100 round belt with armor piercing incendiary rounds."

"P.S. Please keep the troops in your prayers and don't forget to pray for our families. Sometimes I think they've got it harder then we do!"

(End)

Simper Fi,
GSO

gwladgarwr
08-16-03, 09:46 PM
More motivating than how I can say!

Even in the toughest of times, that Marine can think of how much his family and loved ones are hurting. Hats (covers) off to him!

Also goes to show you just how much gratitude many of those Iraqis have for the coalition - sometimes you can't hand out the freebees fast enough to them, and their hands are outstretched for even more. Then they spit in your face. There are givers and there are takers...

Enough said.

LCpl Race

Devildogg4ever
08-17-03, 05:35 AM
Yes, very motivating indeed!!

greensideout needs to let this Marine know he is in our prayers and we
thank him for what he is doing!! Semper Fi, Marine!!