PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Marine Mothers

JChristin
08-16-03, 12:48 PM
Oregon Marine moms helping Iraqi students
09:57 AM PDT on Saturday, August 16, 2003

Associated Press

One Oregon Marine's mom is doing her part to rebuild Iraq.

Deb Conrad of Lebanon, whose 19-year-old son in a lance corporal serving in Iraq, is behind an effort to collect school materials for 650 children and their teachers in Najaf, Iraq. The effort involves about 40 other mothers of Marines who live in and around Salem.

Conrad said the group's work is part of a larger Backpacks for Iraq campaign coordinated by an Army sergeant in Najaf, a holy city of more than a half-million people that is 100 miles south of Baghdad.

When the city fell to U.S.-led forces in April, looters stripped most schools of their supplies, so many students will head back to class in the fall without paper, pens or textbooks.

The aim of Backpacks for Iraq is to ensure at least some of those students will start the year prepared to continue their education. Conrad said her group is one of several around the United States working toward that goal.

Conrad's group has raised $1,300 to buy the school supplies. All that remains is to collect $4,000 to purchase the backpacks.

She hopes to wrap up the campaign by Sept. 15 -- about the time her son, Shane Conrad, is scheduled to come home.

A military transport plane will fly the backpacks to Najaf, where coalition forces will distribute them.

"I'm so proud of what the Marines are doing," she said. "This is one way that we can help them as they help the people of Iraq."

Conrad said her son decided to join the Marines immediately after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, when he was a senior at South Albany High School.

By April, he was in the desert of Iraq with the 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment as part of the U.S. effort to drive Saddam Hussein from power.

Sixguns
08-16-03, 07:07 PM
Great PR story! This is a testiment to how Marines and there families are committed to improving the lives of others. Best wishes to Deb Conrad and all who have taken part in this mission!

SF,

greensideout
08-16-03, 07:55 PM
I think the intent of project "Backpacks for Iraq" is well meant but I believe that our focus might be better served if we put "continue their education" aside and push the need to re-educate. We need them to grow with new and very different ideas.I also believe that will be the only way to win the Middle East Wars.

( Hard to feel "warm and fuzzy" when some of those kids are shooting at our troops.)

Devildogg4ever
08-17-03, 05:24 AM
I will have to agree with both of you! This is a testiment to how Marines and there families are committed to helping one another. This is very motivating!! But, I also agree that we need to re-educate. I can only image the education they might already have. We need to re-educate them on everything! They need to learn how to have their own ideas on everything in life! They need to see the rest of the world for what it is, and not what they are told!! Good read!!