PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic Sunglasses?

LIVESTRONGdave
10-26-09, 09:39 PM
I PROMISE Marines, I used the search on this. :scared:

Im stuck with BCG's in bootcamp.
After that I will be wearing my contacts but most likely civilian glasses(still looking around and gunna buy.)

-My question is, are ballistic sunglasses prescription AND shades? I heard somewhere they were. If not I was curious if they have some neat looking military glasses that you can purchase? And when can I purchase ballistic or any others?

I don't want to be stuck with BCG's throughout my 4 years of service(IF I CAN BECOME ONE OF THE FEW), I want to look sharp on video, pictures, for family and friends if you can understand.

Thanks Marines!
-David

Lisa 23
10-26-09, 09:45 PM
MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS

Articles that may be worn while in uniform include inconspicuous wrist watches and rings. Sunglasses may be worn on leave, liberty, and in garrison but not in formation with troops, unless the need to wear sunglasses has been certified by medical authorities. When authorized for wear in formations, sunglass lenses will be of standard green or dark green shade or may be the type commonly referred to as "photosensitive." Sunglasses that do not have "photosensitive" lenses will not be worn indoors. Eyeglasses/sunglasses, when worn, will be conservative in appearance. Eccentric or conspicuous eyepieces are prohibited. Chains, bands, or ribbons will not be attached to eyeglasses; however, eyeglass restraints are authorized for safety purposes, but must be of conservative style/design. (IGMC)

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URCH1.htm

LIVESTRONGdave
10-26-09, 09:50 PM
So are the Ballistic Sunglasses prescription and help with your vision and are also sunglasses no, mam?

Lisa 23
10-26-09, 09:53 PM
Oh, and forgot to add, you can look sharp without the fancy ballistic glasses on your face.
For now, worry about getting thru boot camp.

LIVESTRONGdave
10-26-09, 09:54 PM
Simply curious if the fancy ballistic glasses improve my vision. I am blind as a bat.

Lisa 23
10-26-09, 09:55 PM
I've never even heard of ballistic glasses until now. From what I've read on them so far, they provide superior eye protection when in hostile environments.
If and when you make it thru boot camp, MCT/SOI training and your MOS school, and you arrive at your first duty station, you'll have to check with your command on that, I can't answer that for you.

LIVESTRONGdave
10-26-09, 10:01 PM
Thank you.

Lisa 23
10-26-09, 10:04 PM
You're Welcome!

SlingerDun
10-26-09, 10:09 PM
Yes, i wear safety (ballistic) polymer corrective progressive tri-focal lenses everyday working but they are "git dark" (transitional) lenses not sunglasses and there is peripheral distortion as opossed to plastic or glass lenses. So far glass is still the best for optimal correction, but not protection

--->Dave

LIVESTRONGdave
10-26-09, 10:13 PM
Yes, i wear safety (ballistic) polymer corrective progressive tri-focal lenses everyday working but they are "git dark" (transitional) lenses not sunglasses and there is peripheral distortion as opossed to plastic or glass lenses. So far glass is still the best for optimal correction.

--->Dave

So they are black and help your vision individually(perscribed to ONLY you)? Do you like them? Do you wear any other eye wear?

After Boot and combat training and my school when would I be able to purchase Eyewear?

SlingerDun
10-26-09, 10:20 PM
Yes its my personal prescription from an eye doctor who examined my eyes. No they're not black they are clear indoors and they get dark with varying degrees of sunlight, more like a dark gray at the most. In fact the glass transitionals are reffered to as "photo gray"
After Boot and combat training and my school when would I be able to purchase Eyewear?
Dude as soon as you get pay and liberty!

LIVESTRONGdave
10-26-09, 10:24 PM
Yes its my personal prescription from an eye doctor who examined my eyes. No they're not black they are clear indoors and they get dark with varying degrees of sunlight, more like a dark gray at the most. In fact the glass transitionals are reffered to as "photo gray"Dude as soon as you get pay and liberty!

Thank you so much! If and when upon completion of boot camp I hope to get them on my 10 day leave or something ya know?

ONE LAST question I promise lol. You can wear them wherever? Out in combat? In the office, barracks, whereever your at, Marine? Its allowed correct?

Lisa 23
10-26-09, 10:26 PM
Ok, now I have a question. SlingerDun, do you wear these ballistic glasses all the time, or just for your job in the Marine Corps? They look like they are made out of plastic, that's why I ask.

SlingerDun
10-26-09, 10:39 PM
Yes, No, Sometimes, Maybe and No! I also wears a pirate patch for 1 hour most everynight alternating eyeballs on the 1/2 .. as recommened by the "See Clearly Method" vision improvement program:marine:

Fubar5812
10-26-09, 11:38 PM
Marines wear sunglasses all the time in uniform..I'm in Hawaii though. as long as there "tactical" I.E black,green,brown and don't have mirrored lenses (even then that's something people usually look past)

echo3oscar1833
10-26-09, 11:56 PM
Marines wear sunglasses all the time in uniform..I'm in Hawaii though. as long as there "tactical" I.E black,green,brown and don't have mirrored lenses (even then that's something people usually look past)

Dont get caught wearing them at 2nd AA Bn, used to get my azz ripped all the time for wearing shades. I always wore my official issue avatiors they were awesome. It was always the same Gunny who, busted me wearing them to lol.:nerd: Still got those avatiors to lol. That was back in 02-03 though, things could have changed. I remember during my two CAX's we where allowed to wear pretty much what we wanted as long as they weren't mirrored. Semper :D

Old Marine
10-27-09, 10:45 AM
The thing you wanabee's should be worring about is if you can complete your training and graduate from Boot Camp, not all this crap about sun glasses. Get your brain housing group functioning toward becoming a Marine and forget the trival crap.

LIVESTRONGdave
10-28-09, 08:10 AM
The thing you wanabee's should be worring about is if you can complete your training and graduate from Boot Camp, not all this crap about sun glasses. Get your brain housing group functioning toward becoming a Marine and forget the trival crap.

Your 100% correct. Sorry, but I am asking Marines about a question I have. I worry about bootcamp on my own time, I talk to my family day in and day out and visit my recruiting officer all the time. And also do those saturday work outs. No worrys.:!:

GSEMarine94
10-28-09, 08:48 AM
I have a pair of prescription Oakleys, get a sweet discount being in the military. Mine have 3 different lenses, yellow (for gloomy conditions), clear (for darker conditions), and grey (for bright conditions). They have a site strictly for military and police.
https://secure.usstandardissue.com/index.cfm?&CFID=1981867&CFTOKEN=76330627

echo3oscar1833
10-28-09, 09:10 AM
I have a pair of prescription Oakleys, get a sweet discount being in the military. Mine have 3 different lenses, yellow (for gloomy conditions), clear (for darker conditions), and grey (for bright conditions). They have a site strictly for military and police.

That just because your cool like that Lt. :D

LIVESTRONGdave
10-28-09, 10:09 AM

:thumbup:

LIVESTRONGdave
10-28-09, 10:14 AM
Would I be able to purchase ballistic on my 10 day leave? Would I be able to wear them at combat training or my school? Or only when I hit fleet?

jackson07
10-28-09, 04:11 PM
You will get issued ESS glasses. Ballistic sunglasses at CIF. Last I knew you got some at SOI also. Get yourself a pair of Oakley M frames. Oakely has a sub-bussiness or whatever called Standard Issue. They sell Oakley products to military and goverment people at a cheaper price. (A lot cheaper).

MLMonk
11-08-09, 11:58 AM
Would I be able to purchase ballistic on my 10 day leave? Would I be able to wear them at combat training or my school? Or only when I hit fleet?

You wouldn't be able to receive them in time. The ballistic Oakleys off US Standard Issue takes a few weeks to process and go through the mail. You are authorized to wear them, as long as they are not eccentric, and has a tan to black color to them, and the lenses must be either black, green, or brown. I bought the Desert Gaskans through that site in my prescription, believe me, they are WAY worth the $240, hell, I would pay that much even without the ballistic protection they give you, considering it has 100% UV protection and glare free, which helps majorly during driving, since I'm Motor T, and a reservist.

And to answer your question, no, you will not be able to wear sunglasses during MCT/SOI, except on liberty, and same thing applies to MOS school, atleast mine you couldn't.

Donut Brigade
11-08-09, 06:32 PM
I wear glasses and have clip ons when I'm driving.