PDA

View Full Version : Police watching for 'peephole' drivers as winter nears

Lisa 23
10-26-09, 10:32 AM
Police watching for 'peephole' drivers as winter nears
By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY

As snow and temperatures start to fall, it's "peephole driving" season in the USA.
Many Americans have done it: gone outside to an ice-covered vehicle on a cold winter's morning, chipped just enough ice off the windshield to see through and driven away.

Peephole driving dramatically reduces a driver's field of vision, and it increases the likelihood that snow or ice can become dislodged and hit another vehicle or a pedestrian, according to police and safety advocates.

"Everybody is in such a hurry to get where they've got to go, they don't want to take the time to completely defrost their windows," says Sgt. Scott Kristiansen of the Buffalo Grove Police Department in suburban Chicago. "That puts everybody at risk.

"Reasonable people who would never think of leaving their driveway with worn tires or bad brakes will routinely drive their children to school after scraping just a small peephole with which to see out of the vehicle," says Kristiansen, a 26-year veteran in the village of about 42,000 northwest of Chicago.

In Illinois and some other states, police can cite drivers for obstruction of a window or obstructed vision. In Pennsylvania and New Jersey, drivers can be cited if their failure to remove snow or ice causes injury or property damage.

New Jersey strengthened its law last week. Gov. Jon Corzine, a Democrat, signed legislation requiring drivers to "make all reasonable efforts" to remove snow or ice from the roof, hood, trunk and windshield. For truckers, the law applies to the cab, the top of a trailer or semi-trailer and the top of a freight container. Drivers who fail to comply face a $25-$75 fine.

"There are many stories of innocent drivers who have died or been seriously injured because of ice or snow dislodged from a truck or car," says Republican state Assemblywoman Nancy Munoz, a sponsor of the law. "Finally, common-sense legislation that protects drivers by requiring the removal of potential flying debris is now law."

There are no reliable statistics on the number of people hurt or killed because of peephole driving, says David Weinstein, spokesman for AAA clubs of New Jersey. "Often the driver doesn't know what happened and drives away," he says. "Or they do know what happened and know they're culpable and drive away."

Technical Trooper Tim McCool of the Kansas Highway Patrol says he's seen peephole driving increase in his 27-year career as people grow more impatient. He estimates that peephole drivers have 2%-3% of the normal field of vision. As winter looms, the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles advises, "Peephole driving is an invitation to disaster."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-25-peephole-drivers_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-25-peephole-drivers_N.htm)

Petz
10-26-09, 10:41 AM
and? those people deserve to die a horrible death. I scrape as much as I can reach and then brush off the rest of the care with an old car wash brush (as not to scratch the paint).

NoRemorse
10-26-09, 10:43 AM
If you're going anywhere after its snowed you have to leave earlier anyway.

Turn off engine, set heater, set defroster/defogger, shovel, scrape, drive 5 mph behind some azz who didn't do any of the above and can't see out his windshield.

Petz
10-26-09, 10:45 AM
this is why you should have a 4X4 truck with good winter tires so you can speed by them at 15 MPH.

NoRemorse
10-26-09, 10:46 AM
Moving isn't the problem, it's stopping that sucks. And teaching my wife how to use engine braking would be fun. Bye bye transfer case.

Petz
10-26-09, 10:49 AM
not really, large lugged snow tires with some rubber tread enhancers would help you stop dramatically. I'd say get a manual and engine braking is easy. besides the clutch will go before the transfer case.

NoRemorse
10-26-09, 10:52 AM
I tried to teach her how to use the sport shift on the TL... I tried to teach her sister... For some reason they can't grasp gear ratios; maybe it's cause they hate me.

Don't matter anyway, we don't live in a super hilly area anymore.

Petz
10-26-09, 10:53 AM
maybe they think your penis is small??????????

Supersquishy
10-26-09, 10:54 AM
I used to do that all the time in Alaska, took foever to get my truck to warm up, who am I going to hit out in the middle of nowhere, except maybe a moose. But anyways its not like Im doing 60MPH either.

NoRemorse
10-26-09, 10:55 AM
Way to keep it in the hooch, queer.

Petz
10-26-09, 11:00 AM
I'm just saying. I have no clue. It's possible they don't listen to you because you don't smack them across the face from time to time... :D

anyways. It's impossible to make a woman listen. Just give her a car that has crappy tires but a 5-star crash rating and let her fend for herself in snow so deep she can't open her doors.

NoRemorse
10-26-09, 11:04 AM
How does that song go?

Crunch crunch crunch goes the transmission

squeal squeal squeal goes the hubs

Petz
10-26-09, 11:07 AM
then it's time you buy a real mans truck, 1979 F-250 with a 460.

NoRemorse
10-26-09, 11:10 AM
I need something for her, no way I'm letting her near anything over 200 cubic inches

Lisa 23
10-26-09, 11:37 AM
anyways. It's impossible to make a woman listen. Just give her a car that has crappy tires but a 5-star crash rating and let her fend for herself in snow so deep she can't open her doors.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/foottapping.gif

Marine84
10-26-09, 12:00 PM
It's impossible to make a woman listen. Just give her a car that has crappy tires but a 5-star crash rating and let her fend for herself in snow so deep she can't open her doors.

Maybe we don't listen because of all the crap that spills out of your mouth. Is this how you manage your wife? Probably not.

NoRemorse
10-26-09, 12:12 PM
For some reason this popcorn is extra delicious today.

Supersquishy
10-26-09, 12:14 PM
Petz has foot in mouth disease again. HAHA!

Petz
10-26-09, 12:19 PM
Maybe we don't listen because of all the crap that spills out of your mouth. Is this how you manage your wife? Probably not.

Actually 84, I figured you'd get the satire of my statement. My wife smacks me around, I just got yelled at for buying groceries before I get paid. I see the light now, not just because she hit me so hard I see stars but because she's right.

come on 84, lighten up. No man ever hits a woman, and that's my honest feelings and opinion. The guys that do are insecure and should get their butts kicked.

awbrown1462
10-26-09, 01:05 PM
good come back Petz but don't think 84 will buy it

Zulu 36
10-26-09, 01:34 PM
Move to Florida and you will hardly ever have to scrape car windows in wintertime. I don't even know where my old Michigan scraper got off to.

On those few mornings when there is frost, I turn on the car heat and get a pan full of hot water from the house. Pour it on and I'm good to go. No peep hole either.

:D