PDA

View Full Version : Young Senior wants to be successful!

LIVESTRONGdave
10-23-09, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone

I am 17 and a senior in highschool. I have visited this site a little bit and didn't want to register until I was a polee. But I couldn't wait!! lol.

I have yet to take my ASVAB. I am sched. nov 9th. written ASVAB Test.
My recruit officer plans to have me sign Dec 1st. I am anxious, confused, and confident. At this point in my life if I say no to the marines I feel so uncompleted now. I have put so much thought into it that I can't let it go. I have an ACT of 18 and I have no idea what I want to do or what college to even attend. Instead of going through the typical highschool life and going through college trying to find my way, I want to show that I am worthy, show that I am better because I am confident that I have the will power to become a Marine.

I have done so much research, youtubing, and talking to other marines. Hell, the manager of my gym is a former marine. My girlfrienfd that I have had for almost 3 years really thinks this will better my future as do I. My family is scared and doesn;t want me to go. But ultimately it is my decision and they will suppoort me 100 percent. I believe that I have bad karma because yes I believe in that and I think everything happens for a reason. No life stories, just believe me ;]

My buddy Dany Lara, has a shipping date. Aug 9th. I see that alot of you use "codes" and I am not familar with it. But my friend is doing Aircraft maintnence, and i intend on doing the buddy plan with him. SOme kind of comfort zone.

I would like to say I know a little what I got in store for me at bootcamp, but in the end I have no clue. I would love to have the experience of a lifetime, and become one of the few.

MY QUESTIONS --------

1. I have looked at the pay charts. But I would like to ask someone who has experience in the field. Is the pay enough to have a cool lifestyle? Could you afford a respectable car? thats not all im worried about, i would just like some enlightment on the money topic

2. Can you keep in touch with family and friends alot? Do you see your family enough?

3. What is your MOS? Alot of work? and if you could change it would you?

4. How many times have you been deployed? What challenges did you face? and How long?

Thank you so much for your time, I am just trying to get the most information and help I need and can get. I would love to become one of the few.

Thank you marines. :flag:

NoRemorse
10-23-09, 11:01 AM
Ok... repeat after me. I will keep my posts short and concise. I will capitalize Marines at all times when referring to Marines as it is a title. Then you're going to set yourself down, search the poolee forums and soak up as much information as possible.

Once you've gorged your gourd on all that fresh and not-so-fresh scoop feel free to thoroughly think about what you're going to ask before asking it as you can find answers to most of the questions you posted.

LIVESTRONGdave
10-23-09, 12:05 PM
Yes sir

BR34
10-23-09, 02:16 PM
1. I've been in the Marine Corps for almost 3 years, and I've owned 7 vehicles, sometimes 2 at once. I have a Lincoln Navigator right now. It's a little old man-ish, but I think it's "respectable". You must know how to budget your money though. I'm married with 2 kids and still have more than enough to take care of them, myself, and have fun.

2. You can keep in touch with family as much as you like. My sister is flying in tomorrow for a 3 day visit. I COULD take leave and go visit my familiy, but I'm just not that interested in doing so. You have 30 days leave a year you can use for travel or whatever else you want.

3. 3432 Semper Finance. A ton of work. I'd change to 2141 AAV Mech if possible.

4. Zero.

Give me 30 pushups for my time!

NoRemorse
10-23-09, 02:18 PM
How do you go from Camaros to a Navi? I hate hate hate big trucks. Takes forever to get used to them.

firedog974
10-23-09, 02:32 PM
1. I have been out since 03, but the pay was good. I had enough to do what I wanted when I wanted.

2. When I was in Hawaii I did not see my family much, but talked to them all the time. To be honest, I really did not want to go home much because I was having a great time.

3. My MOS was 7051 which is aircraft rescue and firefighting. I loved it. You hang out and wait for planes to crash or something to catch on fire. Believe it or not, it is actually pretty tough in the Corps. LOTS of PT, but that was one of the things I loved.

4. I was not deployed much. The worst for me was after 9/11 when I was sent to an advanced school and then 2 CAX's back to back right after my son was born. When I was in Hawaii I was with MCAF (Marine Corps Air Facility) which means I was pretty much non-deployable (but we went on a few small ones here and there). In MCAS Beaufort I was with MWSS 273, and there was a more deployments and time in the field. I enjoyed both.

BR34
10-23-09, 02:35 PM
How do you go from Camaros to a Navi? I hate hate hate big trucks. Takes forever to get used to them.

Man it's a long story...you ever hear that country song "That's Something to be Proud of"? In the song he says "babies came, cars got slow". That sums up my life.

I started off with a 16k miles built Camaro. Got a winter car to go with it. Sold the Camaro and got a semi-built 06 GTO. Wife got pregnant and I sold the GTO and winter car for a 08 Trailblazer. Got another 16k mile Camaro to go along with it, was going to build it into a 10 sec street car,but sold it (only kept it for 3 months). Then I sold my Trailblazer in August and bought a Navi.

That's a quick summary of how I went from fun car to family suv. Now I'm going to go cry a little. :(

NoRemorse
10-23-09, 02:37 PM
My condolences... the wife and kid whip around in the TL type S... I drive the go cart... I mean her civic to work.

She wants a truck of some sort so I'll be feeling the pain soon too.

BR34
10-23-09, 02:39 PM
My condolences... the wife and kid whip around in the TL type S... I drive the go cart... I mean her civic to work.

She wants a truck of some sort so I'll be feeling the pain soon too.

Don't do it man. The shock will kill you going from 35 to 12mpg.

Wyoming
10-23-09, 02:43 PM
1. Beer was a nickle. Rode a Harley. For some reason, and short skirts were in fashion, when the chippies rode on the p-pad, legs spread, and wind whistling around the nether parts, made them proud to be a woman.

2. Family? Collect calls once a month. Enough.

3. Crew Chief on Ch-46's. Would not change for a thing.

4. Deployed once, over the beautiful skies of SE Asia. Challenging when the bad guys shot at you and hit something serious. Helicopters, having a million parts, all moving in perfect harmony, albeit in different directions, all at the same time, do not like it one bit when shot at and hit, nor **** at and missed.

commdog7
10-23-09, 04:11 PM
1. Pay is decent, I have saved up enough money in the Corps alone to purchase almost any brand new car I want and pay it in full.

2. Keeping in touch with family/friends is all up to you. You get 30 days of paid vacation per year, you can spend it however you wish.

3. I'm a 0621 Field Radio Operator. It's not what I was looking for and I am in the process of switching to another mos, probably something that has to do with ordnance.

4. I've been deployed to Iraq once for about 6-7 months. I have been overseas 3 of the 4 years I've been in the Corps, serving in Senegal, Cuba, and Ireland as well. You get used to being away from home, holidays mean absolutely nothing to you. If you're in my shoes, you can forget about Thanksgiving, Santa Claus, and everything else. But you do get to travel the world and see a bunch of stuff.

LIVESTRONGdave
10-23-09, 09:06 PM
Thank you Marines! I love the input it comforts me ha. I CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW I QUALIFY !!! ahh it's killin me Nov 9th wish me luck :)

Sgt John
10-23-09, 09:09 PM
Young Senior, stay with your education..get the highes grade you can..Hell Fire Boot go to college, trade school and when all else fails
joint the Marine Corps.....I am a Vietnam Combat Veteran...over 60..and I have had 'AO" for over 40 years..leg and arms shot to hell....If I went on to college..Maybe, Just Maybe I could be on easy street. setting
behind a desk working for a living....Know what I mean...:flag:
NOW HEAR THIS: Marine Corps is a GREAT way of life. You can make a good living, raise a family, drink a beer and watch some football game.
Retire with a GOOD retirement coming in for you and your family..
Enlisted Marines are the back bone of the Corps...but a Enlisted Marine
with a education could get into a Officer grade rank.

Now I do not want to talk you OUT of joining the Marine Corps. I do want you to have a better future than the aveage American.

SEMPER-FI... from an Old Fart. God Bless You :usmc: