PDA

View Full Version : Female Trying to Gain Weight

Roop
10-23-09, 10:28 AM
I'm a 19-year-old female DEPr and I am under the minimum weight for recruit training. My recruiters are trying to get me a waiver so I don't have to gain 10lbs in 1 month. I lift everyday and do PT Mon, Wed, Fri, but I still have to gain 10 more lbs. Any tips?

NoRemorse
10-23-09, 10:33 AM
Eat more. You're lifting and PTing so your caloric requirements are higher. If you're looking to put on 10 pounds of muscle then you're going to be working for a while depending on your protocol, in that case longer than a month, at least 6-8 weeks without serious supplements.

In that case you'll want to do without supplements because you'll be off them for the entirety of boot and suffer a massive decrease in performance depending on what you're taking.

Avoid that nonsense and google "calorie intake calculator". You'll find several so either enter your current numbers or the weight you need to be and work around it from there. My suggestion is that you stop lifting if you want to put on weight. You're going to need ever increasing amounts of chow to put on more weight in that time frame with just food and near daily weight lifting.

And adjust your profile to poolee/dep, post a ship date... then get on your face and push.

Phantom Blooper
10-23-09, 10:47 AM
Drink Ensure and eat high carbs and keep PT'ing!:evilgrin:

brian0351
10-23-09, 10:51 AM
Get married :) Apparently that's the quickest way for a woman to gain weight...according to my married buddies that is :)

zx6rdr
10-23-09, 11:02 AM
Get married :) Apparently that's the quickest way for a woman to gain weight...according to my married buddies that is :)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :thumbup:

Petz
10-23-09, 11:09 AM
I'm a 19-year-old female DEPr and I am under the minimum weight for recruit training. My recruiters are trying to get me a waiver so I don't have to gain 10lbs in 1 month. I lift everyday and do PT Mon, Wed, Fri, but I still have to gain 10 more lbs. Any tips?

NoRemorse has good advice, increase your protein intake, eat more carbohydrates like spaghetti/pasta which are complex carbs then goto GNC and tell them you want a daily vitamin 'cause it will help all this stuff travel through your body and actually be used instead of sent right back out the back door. Your body needs daily vitamins in order for our body to absorb protein and what not.

Roop
10-23-09, 03:23 PM
Drink Ensure and eat high carbs and keep PT'ing!:evilgrin:
I've heard that Ensure helps, guess I should give it a try. Thank you all for the good advice. I'm thinking I should also stop running so much. 3-5 miles a day, it's probably not helping my cause.

Also, NoRemorse, you recommend that I stop lifting? I don't know if I could afford to not lift. I need all the muscle I can get and as fast as I can get it, too.

NoRemorse
10-23-09, 03:28 PM
If you want to put weight on now stop lifting, continue your regular PT and calisthenics, recalculate your caloric needs and start freakin' eating.

You're not going to retain that muscle in boot... then again I don't know what you're lifting, how often or for how long.

Roop
10-23-09, 03:30 PM
I see. Alright, I'll take your advice and pray it works. :) Thank you.

commdog7
10-23-09, 03:49 PM
If you want to gain weight, make sure you are taking in more calories than you are burning. Calories are your friend.

Zulu 36
10-23-09, 08:54 PM
I'm just curious what your IST scores are, and if you've taken a full PFT, what those scores were.

If your times on the run are solid, I might think about cutting back on the run distances too. Maybe to no more than three miles at a time. This reduces caloric need.

Also if your profile photo is any guide, you do look slim. Slim is great, skinny is not. In boot camp women need a little bit of fat (in the right places) to stay healthy through the heavy activity. You don't want your hormones so out of whack (more than they are going to get) that they make you shave your face every morning. :sick:

I'll bet you're going to be a double-rat recruit in the chow hall.

Lisa 23
10-23-09, 09:07 PM
It's a little confusing. I went to MEPS for a different branch in September, passed and right before I got my ship date I decided to switch to the USMC. I go to MEPS again this coming week to get my MOS and definite ship date. My recruiter is most confident that I'll be leaving early December though.

I had a conversation with Roop earlier today...and she's not in the DEP yet.

Zulu 36
10-23-09, 09:11 PM
I had a conversation with Roop earlier today...and she's not in the DEP yet.

Well, then I'm sure you filled her in on requirements so she can plan her feeding schedule. :D

Roop
10-23-09, 09:16 PM
I'm just curious what your IST scores are, and if you've taken a full PFT, what those scores were.

If your times on the run are solid, I might think about cutting back on the run distances too. Maybe to no more than three miles at a time. This reduces caloric need.

Also if your profile photo is any guide, you do look slim. Slim is great, skinny is not. In boot camp women need a little bit of fat (in the right places) to stay healthy through the heavy activity. You don't want your hormones so out of whack (more than they are going to get) that they make you shave your face every morning. :sick:

I'll bet you're going to be a double-rat recruit in the chow hall.

Yeah, my recruiters mentioned something about double portions. I have yet to have my first official POOLEE Function. When I was doing Physical Tests for the USAF I did pretty well, although their standards are different. During PT the other day this is how I scored: 72 crunches in 2 min. 22 sec. arm hang. 22:00 min. 3-mile run. But I am seriously lacking on my push-ups.

Haha, and I definitely don't want to be growing a beard. I ate a big bowl of pasta for lunch today and ran to the store and grabbed some Ensure Plus, I have yet to crack it open and try it, so we shall see. Thanks for the good advice.

Lisa 23
10-23-09, 09:19 PM
Well, then I'm sure you filled her in on requirements so she can plan her feeding schedule. :D
No, I didn't. Maybe she's got a high metabolism that she burns everything off without gaining weight.
I just wanted to know why she's saying that she's in the DEP and doesn't have a shipdate in her profile, that's all. I did ask her to post here why she doesn't have a shipdate and why she's not in the DEP yet, but she didn't.

Lisa 23
10-23-09, 09:21 PM
Yeah, my recruiters mentioned something about double portions. I have yet to have my first official POOLEE Function. When I was doing Physical Tests for the USAF I did pretty well, although their standards are different. During PT the other day this is how I scored: 72 crunches in 2 min. 22 sec. arm hang. 22:00 min. 3-mile run. But I am seriously lacking on my push-ups.
Female Marines don't do push-ups as part of their initial IST or their full PFT, just the crunches, flex arm hang and run.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitfemale.htm

Roop
10-23-09, 10:11 PM
Female Marines don't do push-ups as part of their initial IST or their full PFT, just the crunches, flex arm hang and run.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitfemale.htm
Thank you. Although, I am aware that push-ups aren't a part of the initial IST or PFT. Hence why I didn't post my push-up count. Just stating that my strength needs to be much better.

NoRemorse
10-23-09, 10:13 PM
Thank you. Although, I am aware that push-ups aren't a part of the initial IST or PFT. Hence why I didn't post my push-up count. Just stating that my strength needs to be much better.

That would have been an "Aye aye, ma'am" instead of all this wordiness.

You can push for each letter of your response.

Females also have the option to execute pull ups.

Zulu 36
10-23-09, 10:23 PM

Haha, and I definitely don't want to be growing a beard. I ate a big bowl of pasta for lunch today and ran to the store and grabbed some Ensure Plus, I have yet to crack it open and try it, so we shall see. Thanks for the good advice.

OK, you're doing well above minimum for the run, not terribly far off for crunches, but that dead arm hang needs work. But you have time.

Pushups are good, plus do as many pullups as well. Pullups are harder for women because of physical build, but they can be done. The more you can do, the better your dead arm hang time will be.

It isn't the beard part thats so bad, it's when they start talking about transferring you to one of the other battalions. THEN you have a hormone problem. :scared:

BR34
10-23-09, 10:26 PM

22 min is a pretty good run time. I think that's like 95 points. You can afford to run less for sure.

Roop
10-23-09, 10:30 PM
OK, you're doing well above minimum for the run, not terribly far off for crunches, but that dead arm hang needs work. But you have time.

Pushups are good, plus do as many pullups as well. Pullups are harder for women because of physical build, but they can be done. The more you can do, the better your dead arm hang time will be.

It isn't the beard part thats so bad, it's when they start talking about transferring you to one of the other battalions. THEN you have a hormone problem. :scared:

Thank you Sir for the tips. I've tripled my push-up count in only two months. But pull-ups are so difficult for me. I've been doing planks and lifting but I'm not sure how much it is helping. Any tips on that?

And haha, yeah that would scary for sure. I'll try to keep my female attributes as best as possible.

Zulu 36
10-23-09, 10:49 PM
Thank you Sir for the tips. I've tripled my push-up count in only two months. But pull-ups are so difficult for me. I've been doing planks and lifting but I'm not sure how much it is helping. Any tips on that?

And haha, yeah that would scary for sure. I'll try to keep my female attributes as best as possible.

For the arm work, I'd contact either LASWMarine, Commdog7 or Tegan on the PM to get tips. Getting a female up to speed for arm hangs is a little out of my area.

Commdog7 and Tegan are both active duty Sergeants (who happen to be females).

I don't have the info handy, but I'd say you are pretty close to being good to go on the IST. You can look it up, its all on-line.

Lisa 23
10-23-09, 10:49 PM
Before I left for boot camp 21 years ago, my flex arm hang was in the 25-30 second area, didn't have a problem with sit-ups then, not crunches, or my run. Same went for my initial PFT at boot camp on the flex arm hang. From the daily PT and everything else, I was maxing out the flex arm hang in no time. For my final PFT, I maxed the sit-ups, the flex arm hang, and back then.....we did the mile and a half run, not the 3 miles like today, and I just missed maxing the run out by 6 seconds. I needed to come under 10 minutes for the run and I had a run time of 10:06. My final PFT score was a 294 out of 300.
My point is, you'll build yourself up while you're at boot camp. Keep working on your flex arm hang, crunches and run times, but don't stress yourself out over it now.

Roop
10-23-09, 10:54 PM
Before I left for boot camp 21 years ago, my flex arm hang was in the 25-30 second area, didn't have a problem with sit-ups then, not crunches, or my run. Same went for my initial PFT at boot camp on the flex arm hang. From the daily PT and everything else, I was maxing out the flex arm hang in no time. For my final PFT, I maxed the sit-ups, the flex arm hang, and back then.....we did the mile and a half run, not the 3 miles like today, and I just missed maxing the run out by 6 seconds. My final PFT score was a 294 out of 300.
My point is, you'll build yourself up while you're at boot camp. Keep working on your flex arm hang, crunches and run times, but don't stress yourself out over it now.

Wow! Props on the great score. Thank you Ma'am for the encouraging words. It's always good to hear other's success stories.

Right now I have the mind-set of, "I WILL complete recruit training." Let's hope I can keep it up once I get to Parris Island. My recruiters are doing their job well, which also helps my case.

Lisa 23
10-23-09, 11:03 PM
For the arm work, I'd contact either LASWMarine, Commdog7 or Tegan on the PM to get tips. Getting a female up to speed for arm hangs is a little out of my area.

Commdog7 and Tegan are both active duty Sergeants (who happen to be females).

I don't have the info handy, but I'd say you are pretty close to being good to go on the IST. You can look it up, its all on-line.

I'm not sure what advice to give on the arm hang. My bunkie, (who already had the flex arm hang maxed well before I did), and myself, got permission from our Senior Drill Instructor to do off the wall push-ups during our free time at night, and for me, that's what got me maxing the flex arm hang in no time. We did that just about every night for about 15 minutes each night. I have my bunkie to thank for helping me max my flex arm hang time!
21 years ago, we didn't have any type of exercise equipment in our squad bay. Don't know if they have any of that today, but if they do, take advantage of it.

Roop
10-23-09, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure what advice to give on the arm hang. My bunkie, (who already had the flex arm hang maxed well before I did), and myself, got permission from our Senior Drill Instructor to do off the wall push-ups during our free time at night, and for me, that's what got me maxing the flex arm hang in no time. We did that just about every night for about 15 minutes each night. I have my bunkie to thank for helping me max my flex arm hang time!
21 years ago, we didn't have any type of exercise equipment in our squad bay. Don't know if they have any of that today, but if they do, take advantage of it.

Good idea. I can do off the wall push-ups before bed and in the mornings. A friend of mine also recommended 5 push-ups at every entryway or doorway I come across throughout my day. It's working for the push-ups thus far.

commdog7
10-24-09, 12:41 AM
First off, let me correct something I read at the begining of this page. Females DO NOT have the option to do pull-ups instead of the flexed arm hang. It doesn't matter how many pull-ups or one handed pull-ups a female can do, only the arm hang counts for the PFT.

Second, when I went through PI about 4 years ago, we had some exercise equipment in the squadbay. I know for sure we had the pull-up bar, but I don't remember what else we had. I think we had a structure for ab-workout, but that was about it. You can do crunches in your rank during lights out, I think all DI's encourage it. If you want an extra workout before the day ends, remember, you can always p!ss off the DI and they will quarterdeck you- that'll get you in shape.

Petz
10-24-09, 12:57 AM
No, I didn't. Maybe she's got a high metabolism that she burns everything off without gaining weight.
I just wanted to know why she's saying that she's in the DEP and doesn't have a shipdate in her profile, that's all. I did ask her to post here why she doesn't have a shipdate and why she's not in the DEP yet, but she didn't.

She must be the Average Americans worst enemy. I can hear the curses now...

she's probably saying it 'cause she's not sure of the whole system. I hate saying this but it's possible the recruiters are treating her with kid gloves or she's got a new recruiter right out of school.

Petz
10-24-09, 01:05 AM
I also want to stress that you focus on the two things that will hurt you shipping since your run time is freaking awesome.

flex-arm-hang and crunches. Everything else is a waste of time (exercises to help improve those two are NOT). Also, I was thinking, maybe you ought to eat lots of food just before you goto bed. That'll be good for about 4-5 pounds this month.

MarineNCurls
10-24-09, 05:46 AM
I've always had a very high PFT. Back in February, I got into something that jacked up my elbow really bad. After 6 weeks of trying to recover, I went to the pull-up bar to try my hang...couldn't hold on for more than 5 seconds. I was disgusted, and the pain was excruciating. HOWEVER, every other day after that I went on a run and went back into the gym and did 3 sets of my max. The first week sucked because I could only hang for about 12-18 seconds, but in a month I was able to max it with much ease.

Just practice. And it's ok if you're not there before boot camp...the DI's will get you there.

commdog7
10-24-09, 10:25 AM
You would be surprised how much mental endurance goes into the flexed arm hang. Most individuals drop to early, not because they can't hold on any longer, but because they give up mentally.

Try counting- its what I do every time I get up on the bar. Count up to 70 slowly in your head while you're hanging on the bar. Set goals. Get up there and tell yourself you're not getting down until you count to at least 25 and keep going from there. When you reach that, next time try for 30, then 35, 40, 50, etc. all the way up to 70. I think the first time I attempted the hang with my recruiter, I got about 35 seconds. I started counting every time, and before I shipped off to boot camp, I was able to get 99 seconds (p!ssed me off I didn't get 100!). To this day, I still count. Anyways, hope this helps.

Lisa 23
10-24-09, 10:32 AM
Commdog, it's funny you say that. At first, I would just focus on something in the distance. Then my bunkie suggested I try singing something to myself in my head....she used to sing the Marine Corps hymn, so I gave it a try next time, and low and behold, I was maxing my arm hang in no time. I think I was able to sing the Marine Corps hymn to myself 3 times and then I knew I maxed the arm hang. It does help a great deal!

Roop
10-24-09, 11:00 AM
You would be surprised how much mental endurance goes into the flexed arm hang. Most individuals drop to early, not because they can't hold on any longer, but because they give up mentally.

Try counting- its what I do every time I get up on the bar. Count up to 70 slowly in your head while you're hanging on the bar. Set goals. Get up there and tell yourself you're not getting down until you count to at least 25 and keep going from there. When you reach that, next time try for 30, then 35, 40, 50, etc. all the way up to 70. I think the first time I attempted the hang with my recruiter, I got about 35 seconds. I started counting every time, and before I shipped off to boot camp, I was able to get 99 seconds (p!ssed me off I didn't get 100!). To this day, I still count. Anyways, hope this helps.

That's the best way to help me when I'm running trying to get in that last mile. Singing or counting or, "I will not fail, I will not fail..." Don't know why I didn't think of it for the arm hang. You all are such a great help. Thank you. Self-discipline and learning to push myself mentally is definitely my greatest hurtle.

Also, I'll take Petz advice and cut down on my running and just play basketball during PT for my cardio or something.

commdog7
10-24-09, 11:43 AM
Glad I could help.

LASWMarine, I did the same thing when I was joining the Corps. I first tried to focus on a spot, but often I was facing an empty wall only about a foot away from me, so that didn't help. The I tried focusing my attention to something else, I tried thinking of a conversation I had earlier in the day or thinking of something I saw on TV or something, it helped a little, but it was difficult to keep my attention focused on something else. I think I tried singing before I thought of counting. Counting works for me, it takes my mind off hanging and lets me know where I'm at. Every PFT I take now, I ask the Marine to tell me my time as I'm doing it in 10 second intervals (10... 20... 30 seconds, etc.). But even while the Marine is telling me my time, I still count in my head, takes my mind off what I'm doing and lets me verify how accurate my count is.

Petz
10-24-09, 06:19 PM
hey Roop, when you dep in you can start calling me SSgt Petz. Just make sure you let thedrifter know when you do dep in so she can change your profile status. Stay motivated and everything will fall into place.

ameriken
10-24-09, 06:24 PM
That's the best way to help me when I'm running trying to get in that last mile. Singing or counting or, "I will not fail, I will not fail..."

A little tip on the chants..... dont use the word 'fail' or any other negative. Your mind is continually hearing the word 'fail'.

Change it to something positive like "I will succeed" or "I will finish" or something of that nature. It's easier to 'will do' something than to 'will not do' something.

Good luck....

Petz
10-24-09, 06:28 PM
the word "can" falls into that category as well. You CAN become the president of the United States or you WILL become the president of the United States. Which sounds more positive and goal oriented? That's right, the "Will become" does.

It's because "can" is a matter of will power while "will" is a proclamation of Knowing the outcome.

ameriken
10-24-09, 06:50 PM
:thumbup: Totally agree Petz

Roop
10-24-09, 09:59 PM
A little tip on the chants..... dont use the word 'fail' or any other negative. Your mind is continually hearing the word 'fail'.

Change it to something positive like "I will succeed" or "I will finish" or something of that nature. It's easier to 'will do' something than to 'will not do' something.

Good luck....

the word "can" falls into that category as well. You CAN become the president of the United States or you WILL become the president of the United States. Which sounds more positive and goal oriented? That's right, the "Will become" does.

It's because "can" is a matter of will power while "will" is a proclamation of Knowing the outcome.

Agreed and agreed. In my college child psychology classes we learned a similar theory to this. Every time we people say to ourselves, "Oh, I'm stupid or that was dumb of me..." We begin to believe ourselves and really think we are ignorant or unintelligent.

Seems like I could use a life coach or if I'm smart, I'll take a hint and listen to what you Marines have to say. :) The info and tips are much appreciated.

MD8724
10-24-09, 11:13 PM
You're run time is good, so if I were you, I would slow it down to 3-4 miles, two - 3 times per week. Thats just if you want to maintain your PFT score for now though. You won't actually run 3 miles at PI for the first good while, so you could stop running altogether, it probably wouldn't matter. Definetly cut back some though, if for nothing else to just get a break and not injure your legs.

As for the weight, buy creatine and weight-gainer. You can buy the whey protien too if you want.

When I take supps and just lift, no running, you can put on weight pretty easy, and I dont actually take the weight gainer, so with that, you would be good. It doesn't matter that you can't take it in bootcamp, because after you ship, being under your weight no longer matters, but if it's stoping you from shipping, and you need 10 pounds in a month, take the weight gainer and creatine. You may find it hard to PT, but PT the first few weeks is probably easier than what you are doing now, and you'll have 3 months at PI to lose that excess weight.

Roop
10-24-09, 11:29 PM
You're run time is good, so if I were you, I would slow it down to 3-4 miles, two - 3 times per week. Thats just if you want to maintain your PFT score for now though. You won't actually run 3 miles at PI for the first good while, so you could stop running altogether, it probably wouldn't matter. Definetly cut back some though, if for nothing else to just get a break and not injure your legs.

As for the weight, buy creatine and weight-gainer. You can buy the whey protien too if you want.

When I take supps and just lift, no running, you can put on weight pretty easy, and I dont actually take the weight gainer, so with that, you would be good. It doesn't matter that you can't take it in bootcamp, because after you ship, being under your weight no longer matters, but if it's stoping you from shipping, and you need 10 pounds in a month, take the weight gainer and creatine. You may find it hard to PT, but PT the first few weeks is probably easier than what you are doing now, and you'll have 3 months at PI to lose that excess weight.

Thank you, Sir. That seems like a good run schedule to me. :thumbup:

And I wonder how safe creatine is for women to take. If it is safe, I'd be curious to know in what doses it is recommended. Then I'd hop right on that bandwagon. And well, if I can get a waiver it won't matter that I'm a few pounds underweight. But I'd like to try and play it safe for MEPS to make damn sure that I will have no problem shipping asap. I also hope that I will continue to gain lots of weight (muscle weight) at PI and I that I will do so quickly. I need desperately to bulk up.

MD8724
10-24-09, 11:43 PM
Thank you, Sir. That seems like a good run schedule to me. :thumbup:

And I wonder how safe creatine is for women to take. If it is safe, I'd be curious to know in what doses it is recommended. Then I'd hop right on that bandwagon. And well, if I can get a waiver it won't matter that I'm a few pounds underweight. But I'd like to try and play it safe for MEPS to make damn sure that I will have no problem shipping asap. I also hope that I will continue to gain lots of weight (muscle weight) at PI and I that I will do so quickly. I need desperately to bulk up.

It's safe. There are really no side effects at all. It pretty much just puts on water weight for you, but it helps your stamina. Like I said though, since you can't take it at bootcamp, it's really just for the weigh, but you may see nice increases in strength at the gym in your last month. Just take the recommended amount that it has on the package. Probably 1-2 scoops with 4-8oz of water(the amount of water doesnt really matter, but like Koolaid, too much water means more crappy flavor).
If you do pushups and crunches, you may see some increase in muscle size during your time at PI, but since the squadbay isnt a gym, once you hit the peak, youll stop, just like sticking with the same dumbbells in the gym. Since you can already run, I highly doubt you will gain any muscles in your legs. Really though, it's just about getting there and making it through. If you can increase your physical abilities while you are there, then great. If not, then you will have plenty of time once you hit MOS school and the fleet to do so. The more fit you are going in, the less gains you will see, to be honest with you.

commdog7
10-24-09, 11:45 PM
Do not stop running altogether, your run time will progressively get worse if you do (depending on how many weeks). You can cut back on running, just run once or twice a week and you should be fine.

Wyoming
10-24-09, 11:49 PM
Just make sure everything you take is cool and you don't pop hot on a whiz quiz!

MD8724
10-24-09, 11:49 PM
I need desperately to bulk up.

Heh, if you want to bulk up, do 1 month on 2 months off with Creatine, and take Whey Protien, and hit the gym hard every day. Do the right type of workout though. The all-body stuff I didnt find that great for getting bigger. Also, you could pretty much stop doing the running you are doing, and stick to the 3-4 miles, about twice a week. Once you PT in the fleet, depening on how much your unit runs, you could stop running on your own altogether.

This is purely for bulking up though, and has nothing to do with a PFT or anything. When I was just trying to increase in size, I probably didnt run at all for a good 2-3 months.

MD8724
10-24-09, 11:52 PM
Do not stop running altogether, your run time will progressively get worse if you do (depending on how many weeks). You can cut back on running, just run once or twice a week and you should be fine.

Oh yeah, your run time would take a hit if you stopped completely, and put on weight. I mean, the heavier you get, the harder it is to run :P I was just saying if you desperatly want to gain those 10 pounds, you can stop. I'd say by the time you finish with bootcamp though, youll be back to being underweight, and you run time would have recovered in those 3 months from the time off.

Roop
10-24-09, 11:54 PM
Really though, it's just about getting there and making it through.

That's what I'm psyching myself out about. Making it through. I get letters every day from a recruit and I know it's not going to be easy. I need to maybe discuss PI with some females to get a feel for what exactly I'm in for.

And creatine it is! I'll stop in GNC tomorrow, grab that, weight gainer and a good multi-vitamin. I drank Ensure today and it wasn't bad at all. One bottle filled me up as much as a protein shake. So I will continue with that as well.

commdog7
10-24-09, 11:54 PM
As for your crunches, it seems to me that you problem lies with you positioning rather than your stength. They aren't situps, so don't waste your energy going all the way up. The trick is to scoot in as close as you can before the timer starts, try to get your heels to touch your ass. Your forearms have to make contact with your thighs, as soon as they touch you can go back down. Do not go all the way down either, just far enough where your shoulder blades hit the deck. If you master this technique, I think you can easily do over 100 before you ship to boot.

commdog7
10-24-09, 11:58 PM
I need to maybe discuss PI with some females to get a feel for what exactly I'm in for. shake.

What do you want to know?

MD8724
10-25-09, 12:00 AM
As for your crunches, it seems to me that you problem lies with you positioning rather than your stength. They aren't situps, so don't waste your energy going all the way up. The trick is to scoot in as close as you can before the timer starts, try to get your heels to touch your ass. Your forearms have to make contact with your thighs, as soon as they touch you can go back down. Do not go all the way down either, just far enough where your shoulder blades hit the deck. If you master this technique, I think you can easily do over 100 before you ship to boot.

I spread my legs when I do mine. Doing that makes my thighs be that much closer. Ill have like 2-3 inches of movment I have to do to complete the crunch. Really easy.

Hey, you said you are doing planks too right ? Thats a good way to not gain weight, due to burning of the abs. :)

Roop
10-25-09, 12:08 AM
What do you want to know?

Thank you, Ma'am for offering to answer my questions. Honestly? Anything and everything. Any tips or info you'd like to throw my way. I'm sure some of these things I can ask my recruiters on Monday as well. But it'd be nice to hear it from a female.

What I can and cannot bring to PI. What's the underwear situation like, do we bring our own? My hair is down to my hips, am I allowed to have a "braid-bun?" Shower time, is it 3 min.? What was your first week like? What week was hardest for you and why? What week was easiest? Did the other females in your platoon get along? What week did you adjust to the routine?

I could go on and on...

Roop
10-25-09, 12:09 AM
I spread my legs when I do mine. Doing that makes my thighs be that much closer. Ill have like 2-3 inches of movment I have to do to complete the crunch. Really easy.

Hey, you said you are doing planks too right ? Thats a good way to not gain weight, due to burning of the abs. :)
I will try both methods. I think the heels next to my *** seems like it would work the best for me. Haha and alright I will knock off the planks.

commdog7
10-25-09, 12:37 AM
Thank you, Ma'am for offering to answer my questions. Honestly? Anything and everything. Any tips or info you'd like to throw my way. I'm sure some of these things I can ask my recruiters on Monday as well. But it'd be nice to hear it from a female.

What I can and cannot bring to PI. What's the underwear situation like, do we bring our own? My hair is down to my hips, am I allowed to have a "braid-bun?" Shower time, is it 3 min.? What was your first week like? What week was hardest for you and why? What week was easiest? Did the other females in your platoon get along? What week did you adjust to the routine?

I could go on and on...

Aside from your required documents and money your recruiter will tell you to bring, the only other thing you can take is a few sports bras (plain white with no logo). Anything else you bring will be confiscated: cell phone, shampoo, hair brush, teddy bear, etc. Everything you need will be issued to you, including undies and bras. Braid-buns are fine, the DI's will teach you how to make a sock-bun which is probably the easiest bun to make. You have 10 days to perfect your bun, once the 10 days are up, the DI's will force you to cut your hair if it isn't up to their standard. Shower time is more like 30 seconds, if that. It depends on what kind of mood the DI is in, but don't expect to get more an a minute shower while on the Island. You are rushed in and rushed out.

The first two weeks are the hardest. Big culture shock, and since there is very little actual training, the DI's mostly play games with you. During the first two weeks, you will likely question your decision about joining the Marines. The day I arrived to Parris Island and the day I picked up my DI's were the two hardest days on the Island. Both are really really long days and they are anything but fun. The last week is the easiest, it's when you have pretty much passed all the requirements and the DI's start treating you more like a Marine. You will hate your DI's in the first phase, but you will have incredible respect for them by the 3rd phase. By 3rd phase, you are pretty much well adjusted to life as a recruit. You know what makes the Drill Instructors tick and you know what you need to do to stay out of their way. I graduated with a platoon of 70, and we did not get along with each other at all. Most platoons get to be very tight by the time they graduate, but not my platoon. Lots of arguments and fights all the way up 'til graduation. But you do end up making some really good friends in boot, I still keep in touch with about 10 of them.

I'll add to this at a later time. If there is anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Roop
10-25-09, 12:46 AM
Aside from your required documents and money your recruiter will tell you to bring, the only other thing you can take is a few sports bras (plain white with no logo). Anything else you bring will be confiscated: cell phone, shampoo, hair brush, teddy bear, etc. Everything you need will be issued to you, including undies and bras. Braid-buns are fine, the DI's will teach you how to make a sock-bun which is probably the easiest bun to make. You have 10 days to perfect your bun, once the 10 days are up, the DI's will force you to cut your hair if it isn't up to their standard. Shower time is more like 30 seconds, if that. It depends on what kind of mood the DI is in, but don't expect to get more an a minute shower while on the Island. You are rushed in and rushed out.

The first two weeks are the hardest. Big culture shock, and since there is very little actual training, the DI's mostly play games with you. During the first two weeks, you will likely question your decision about joining the Marines. The day I arrived to Parris Island and the day I picked up my DI's were the two hardest days on the Island. Both are really really long days and they are anything but fun. The last week is the easiest, it's when you have pretty much passed all the requirements and the DI's start treating you more like a Marine. You will hate your DI's in the first phase, but you will have incredible respect for them by the 3rd phase. By 3rd phase, you are pretty much well adjusted to life as a recruit. You know what makes the Drill Instructors tick and you know what you need to do to stay out of their way. I graduated with a platoon of 70, and we did not get along with each other at all. Most platoons get to be very tight by the time they graduate, but not my platoon. Lots of arguments and fights all the way up 'til graduation. But you do end up making some really good friends in boot, I still keep in touch with about 10 of them.

I'll add to this at a later time. If there is anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Wow, Marine DI's don't mess around. So would you say that the DI games were the worst part or the actual training? And I can only imagine what the first few days are like. I'm glad I asked and very thankful you answered. If I think of anything else I will be sure to ask.

commdog7
10-25-09, 09:27 AM
Wow, Marine DI's don't mess around. So would you say that the DI games were the worst part or the actual training? And I can only imagine what the first few days are like. I'm glad I asked and very thankful you answered. If I think of anything else I will be sure to ask.

Let me put is like this, boot camp would be really easy if there were no Drill Instructors. Drill, rifle range, PT, classes... they are all pretty easy, it's the yelling, quaterdecking, and mind games that make it hard. You are treated as the lowest form of life, even the civilians who work on the base who never served a day in their life treat you like sh!t. Boot camp is 90% mental and 10% physical. But as long as you are determined, you will make it through.

The real training doesn't start until swim week, which is at the end of 1st phase. Until then, life will be miserable. Games, games, and more games. The first week goes by extremely slow. I arrived to the Island on a Monday; there is no way to tell time. Sometime during the first week, I remember asking another recruit what day it was, I was thinking it had to be Thursday- that I had been on the Island for 3 long days. Turns out it was still Monday... I was shocked. I could've sworn the Earth stopped rotating a few times during my time at PI.

You'll probably have some suicidal recruits in your platoon, one's who want attention and a way off the Island. They take the walk of shame, leaving the Island without earning the title is something they will one day regret. There were a few recruits in my platoon who went up to the DI and told her that they quit- they didn't want to be Marines anymore. The DI just laughed at them and embarrassed them in front of the whole platoon; they were glad the DI didn't let them quit when graduation day came around. Thousands have come before, there is no reason why you can't make it though. Come graduation day, the DI's no longer treat you like the scum of the Earth, they treat you like a Marine. It is the most awesome feeling in the world when you earn that title, there is nothing that compares to the pride you will have when you leave that Island as a Marine. Good luck.

P.S. If I had the opportunity, I would go through it all over again in a heartbeat.

ameriken
10-25-09, 09:41 AM
What I can and cannot bring to PI.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25168

Roop
10-25-09, 10:02 AM
Let me put is like this, boot camp would be really easy if there were no Drill Instructors. Drill, rifle range, PT, classes... they are all pretty easy, it's the yelling, quaterdecking, and mind games that make it hard. You are treated as the lowest form of life, even the civilians who work on the base who never served a day in their life treat you like sh!t. Boot camp is 90% mental and 10% physical. But as long as you are determined, you will make it through.

The real training doesn't start until swim week, which is at the end of 1st phase. Until then, life will be miserable. Games, games, and more games. The first week goes by extremely slow. I arrived to the Island on a Monday; there is no way to tell time. Sometime during the first week, I remember asking another recruit what day it was, I was thinking it had to be Thursday- that I had been on the Island for 3 long days. Turns out it was still Monday... I was shocked. I could've sworn the Earth stopped rotating a few times during my time at PI.

You'll probably have some suicidal recruits in your platoon, one's who want attention and a way off the Island. They take the walk of shame, leaving the Island without earning the title is something they will one day regret. There were a few recruits in my platoon who went up to the DI and told her that they quit- they didn't want to be Marines anymore. The DI just laughed at them and embarrassed them in front of the whole platoon; they were glad the DI didn't let them quit when graduation day came around. Thousands have come before, there is no reason why you can't make it though. Come graduation day, the DI's no longer treat you like the scum of the Earth, they treat you like a Marine. It is the most awesome feeling in the world when you earn that title, there is nothing that compares to the pride you will have when you leave that Island as a Marine. Good luck.

P.S. If I had the opportunity, I would go through it all over again in a heartbeat.
Thank you for wishing me good luck, Ma'am. Also, thank you for that entire reply. I think it was the most honest and motivating 20-something sentences anyone has ever said to me, especially coming from a female Marine who has been where I only aspire to go. I think I'll print it and quote you when I'm having a hard time. :thumbup:

Roop
10-25-09, 10:05 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25168

Thank you. :)

Lisa 23
10-25-09, 01:40 PM

While at Parris Island, DO NOT ever call your Drill Instructors DI's. If you do, you'll be sorry you did. Start now by referring to them as Drill Instructors. :evilgrin:

Zulu 36
10-25-09, 02:50 PM
I think you will do just fine. Your physical fitness is up there nicely (this is usually the big stressor on new recruits - it shouldn't be for you). Use the search function here and Google to look up the Marine knowledge you will need to learn in boot camp. The more you know before you go, the less stress you'll feel. Your recruiter should have a handbook for you too.

If you know you're cool in PT and have a good grip on the basic knowledge, the rest of the head games become easier to deal with. Drill Instructors are professionals at head games. You will never out think them for the first two phases. By third phase you should know the recruit business well enough to anticipate what your Drill Instructors want and be a little bit ahead of the game.

The first couple of weeks have a purpose. It may seem senseless, chaotic, but don't let that fool you. The purpose is to unscrew your head, flush out the civilian nastiness, and re-screw your head back on ready to be refilled the Marine Corps way. Believe me, some things you learn in boot camp, you will still do 30-years later. Silly little things like always stepping off on your left foot when walking, hating (fearing) to be late to anything, avoiding carrying things in your right hand (so you can salute).

Also, by third phase, if you are a good recruit, doing well at PT, drill, knowledge, etc, the Drill Instructors will start to lay off you a tad to concentrate on the problem children. The faster you prove yourself, the faster the personal stress eases a bit.

As Commdog7 said, by third phase you will start to really respect your Drill Instructors because the light bulb will have come on in your head about how hard some of this stuff is, and yet they can do it and more - seemingly with ease.

By third phase, most of the crap just flies past, you don't even notice anymore. You just automatically correctly respond and there you are.

Also, I'm jealous. My Drill Instructors NEVER taught me how to do a sock-bun. :(

Roop
10-25-09, 03:23 PM
I think you will do just fine. Your physical fitness is up there nicely (this is usually the big stressor on new recruits - it shouldn't be for you). Use the search function here and Google to look up the Marine knowledge you will need to learn in boot camp. The more you know before you go, the less stress you'll feel. Your recruiter should have a handbook for you too.

If you know you're cool in PT and have a good grip on the basic knowledge, the rest of the head games become easier to deal with. Drill Instructors are professionals at head games. You will never out think them for the first two phases. By third phase you should know the recruit business well enough to anticipate what your Drill Instructors want and be a little bit ahead of the game.

The first couple of weeks have a purpose. It may seem senseless, chaotic, but don't let that fool you. The purpose is to unscrew your head, flush out the civilian nastiness, and re-screw your head back on ready to be refilled the Marine Corps way. Believe me, some things you learn in boot camp, you will still do 30-years later. Silly little things like always stepping off on your left foot when walking, hating (fearing) to be late to anything, avoiding carrying things in your right hand (so you can salute).

Also, by third phase, if you are a good recruit, doing well at PT, drill, knowledge, etc, the Drill Instructors will start to lay off you a tad to concentrate on the problem children. The faster you prove yourself, the faster the personal stress eases a bit.

As Commdog7 said, by third phase you will start to really respect your Drill Instructors because the light bulb will have come on in your head about how hard some of this stuff is, and yet they can do it and more - seemingly with ease.

By third phase, most of the crap just flies past, you don't even notice anymore. You just automatically correctly respond and there you are.

Also, I'm jealous. My Drill Instructors NEVER taught me how to do a sock-bun. :(

Thank you, Sir for the advice. I'm nervous but excited. Really, I'm just ready to go and give it my all. I will ask my recruiter what I need to know as far as all the knowledge stuff goes. I am bound and determined to not become the problem child.

And sorry about the sock-bun situation. One less thing males have to worry about. :)

Lisa 23
10-25-09, 03:39 PM
Thank you, Sir for the advice. I'm nervous but excited. Really, I'm just ready to go and give it my all. I will ask my recruiter what I need to know as far as all the knowledge stuff goes. I am bound and determined to not become the problem child.

And sorry about the sock-bun situation. One less thing males have to worry about. :)
Check out some of the threads in the Poolee forum on Marine Corps knowledge.
Also, check out these sites. These sites will give you a general idea of what boot camp is like and what to expect.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/marinebasic.htm

Petz
10-25-09, 05:36 PM
look, MD you are telling her to use supplements to "bulk-up" which is a bad thing as it'll all go away in boot camp. She needs to do something to naturally add some weight.

as for creatine usage there's mixed reviews and I suppose it's all dependent on what brand you take and your body chemistry's reaction to it. Here's a link that's kinda helpful.

http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/crea112q.html

I think creatine isn't a bad way to go, but you'll lose it all in about a week or two once you get to the island. The best thing for you to do is drink ridiculous amounts of water, they will make you drink cantines of water at a time which will afford your muscles plenty of water to get and your stamina will be the same as if you took supplements.

It's all up to you Roop

MD8724
10-25-09, 09:14 PM
look, MD you are telling her to use supplements to "bulk-up" which is a bad thing as it'll all go away in boot camp. She needs to do something to naturally add some weight.

as for creatine usage there's mixed reviews and I suppose it's all dependent on what brand you take and your body chemistry's reaction to it. Here's a link that's kinda helpful.

http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/crea112q.html

I think creatine isn't a bad way to go, but you'll lose it all in about a week or two once you get to the island. The best thing for you to do is drink ridiculous amounts of water, they will make you drink cantines of water at a time which will afford your muscles plenty of water to get and your stamina will be the same as if you took supplements.

It's all up to you Roop

I know that it will go away while she is at bootcamp. I thought I mentioned that. Either way, it's not bad. She will gain the weight she needs to leave, and then it will more than likely go away. There is nothing "bad" about that. The creatine will go away too...so you're telling her the same thing.

As for creatine , yeah there are mixed reviews. If you look at that first question and answer on that link, well obviously you are going to feel anxious, and have a high heart rate. It's mainly made for lifting, so when you take it, make sure you lift. You don't need any crazy brand, whatever will work. It isn't natural weight you will get from it either, it's water weight. You wil lose that faster than the weightgainer. And with creatine, you WILL have to drink alot of water, because you will dehydrate ALOT faster than if you don't take it.

Oh, if it makes you feel sick at your stomach, well, it doesnt mean its bad. You're just not used to it. Honestly, most supplements taste like crap. Like a horrible excuse for a shake or some koolaid. THey do make creatine in pill form, but it's more expensive.

Roop
10-25-09, 10:41 PM
I know that it will go away while she is at bootcamp. I thought I mentioned that. Either way, it's not bad. She will gain the weight she needs to leave, and then it will more than likely go away. There is nothing "bad" about that. The creatine will go away too...so you're telling her the same thing.

As for creatine , yeah there are mixed reviews. If you look at that first question and answer on that link, well obviously you are going to feel anxious, and have a high heart rate. It's mainly made for lifting, so when you take it, make sure you lift. You don't need any crazy brand, whatever will work. It isn't natural weight you will get from it either, it's water weight. You wil lose that faster than the weightgainer. And with creatine, you WILL have to drink alot of water, because you will dehydrate ALOT faster than if you don't take it.

Oh, if it makes you feel sick at your stomach, well, it doesnt mean its bad. You're just not used to it. Honestly, most supplements taste like crap. Like a horrible excuse for a shake or some koolaid. THey do make creatine in pill form, but it's more expensive.

Well, I'll give it 1 week with the Ensure, multi-vitamin, extra calorie intake, less running, more lifting and alternating with the weight gainer and whey protein. One small 8 oz. bottle of Ensure is 350 calories. All of this combine is making my stomach feel very out-of-whack already. If in 1 week I don't notice a difference in my weight, I will for sure try the creatine route.

Previous to September 1st, I had been a vegetarian for 12 years straight and hadn't been to the gym for 5 years. My body is probably in a little bit of a shock with all of this changing. Many of my health issues have disappeared and I feel much better physically and mentally. But by the time the weekend hits I just crash, exhaustion gets the best of me. 8-hour work days, PT 3 times a week, 2-hour gym sessions every night, swim lessons twice a week, eating meat again and eating triple what I did eat. It's all for the best. But definitely a HUGE adjustment for me.

NoRemorse
10-25-09, 11:00 PM
1 week?

As it stand right now, since you were a vegetarian then it's more important that you start with multi-vitamins and probiotics (think more yogurt). Dairy will help you pack on weight and regulate your system. The multi-vitamins will help with absorption of nutrients.

If you start taking Creatine (esther, with Nitric Oxide, blah blah blah) then you're going to have to lift a lot more. That and I dont' know if you're going to need hormone supplements since you're a female looking to trigger quick weight gain by using a product designed to help you lift more often and harder.

You can put on water weight without creatine by using a pump-style workout like a bodybuilder would (which is designed for maximal size but maximal size takes more weeks than you've got left before boot).

Eat more, run less, lift less, work on your basic PT (arm-hang and crunches). If you really want to get into catabolic vs anabolic and lift more than usual then you'll usually start by losing mass.

And you're swimming, that's creating a good amount of calorie burn in addition to your 2 hour sessions. If you want to put on weight now then I'd suggest you start eating larger meals less often, put yourself into starvation mode and merely maintain your PT numbers.

Fubar5812
10-26-09, 03:11 AM
protein and carbs are your best friends... wheat bread and pastas, bananas covered in peanut butter, tuna, any high protein drinks (muscle milk is a good one). I had to put on 10 LB's when I dep'ed in and I just cut down on the cardio and focused alot of my diet on protein rich foods and carbs for energy for my PT.

Petz
10-26-09, 07:41 AM
wow, I didn't know you were a vegetable. Well, yeah. Eating meat alone will net you some serious gains.

vegetables don't give you the essential nutrients your body needs to build muscle or maintain it afterwards. We haven't developed as a species because we stayed eating plants, we evolved because we started eating meat.

ameriken
10-26-09, 09:02 AM
Thank you, Sir for the advice. I'm nervous but excited. Really, I'm just ready to go and give it my all. I will ask my recruiter what I need to know as far as all the knowledge stuff goes. I am bound and determined to become a Marine

Fixed

Reminder Roop....work on changing that mindset of thinking of 'I will not' to a positive mindset of 'I will'. :thumbup:

Roop
10-26-09, 01:30 PM
Fixed

Reminder Roop....work on changing that mindset of thinking of 'I will not' to a positive mindset of 'I will'. :thumbup:
Thank you, Sir. I need to work on my state of mind as much as my weight.

BR34
10-26-09, 02:01 PM
This is simple. Eat 10 lbs worth of food the morning of the weigh in.

Roop
10-26-09, 02:08 PM
This is simple. Eat 10 lbs worth of food the morning of the weigh in.

Haha, yeah my recruiter said we could stop at every Carl's Jr. on the way up to MEPS and get me a good size burger. It's a 4.5 hour drive. So I'm sure that'd work if I could keep it all down. Haha. Gained 2lbs. in 2 days with the extra food, protein and Ensure! :)

BR34
10-26-09, 02:28 PM
So I'm sure that'd work if I could keep it all IN.

Fixed

zx6rdr
10-26-09, 02:47 PM
Damn.... Where is Achped when you need him to answer a quesiton; I am sure that he would have good, sound, adivce for this young lady.... ;)