PDA

View Full Version : remember the swagger sticks ?

hypnotist
10-22-09, 10:21 PM
:pWhen I enlisted every officer and staff nco's carried a swagger stick a leftover from when gentlemen carried riding crops. Well the commandant at that time was Randolph McCall Pate. upon his retirement, General Shoup became Commandant. He made the statement that he did not need a swagger stick... other officers and Staff Nco's could carry them if they so desired. Well the next day there was not a single swagger stick to be found anywhere in sight.. I guess to this date they are extinct... anybody remember that was in 1957-58:bunny:

LarryStarr
10-23-09, 12:35 AM
:pWhen I enlisted every officer and staff nco's carried a swagger stick a leftover from when gentlemen carried riding crops. Well the commandant at that time was Randolph McCall Pate. upon his retirement, General Shoup became Commandant. He made the statement that he did not need a swagger stick... other officers and Staff Nco's could carry them if they so desired. Well the next day there was not a single swagger stick to be found anywhere in sight.. I guess to this date they are extinct... anybody remember that was in 1957-58:bunny:
Well, they apparently made a comeback. I remember them and I came along over 10 years after the dates you mention. I wouldn't say everybody carried them but they were not uncommon, especially amount senior Staff NCO's.

I recall some very nice, home grown items, like the split 50 Cal round, on either end of a polished teak staff. Of course the whole thing was polished to a bright shine. :usmc: Semper Fi

egbutler1
10-23-09, 01:13 AM
I saw some and I got out in 2006.

DUKW
10-29-09, 03:02 PM
I saw one along side my head in MCRD San Diego 1958. It was a handy item for Senior DI's

Petz
10-29-09, 03:07 PM
well, the swagger stick wasn't intended for the horse Marines, it was meant to correct Marines in formation. SNCOs at one point were required to have them as for EG seeing them, I doubt they carried them in uniform. It's still used for awards for SNCOs/Officers who are good to go with correcting his/her Marines.

Osotogary
10-29-09, 04:25 PM
Could this swagger stick have been derived from the Roman Army Centurion vine staff or vitis that was used for whacking miscreant soldiers? It was typically three feet long and made of grape vine. If memory serves me correct Centurions were like the SNCO's of the Roman Army.

SlingerDun
10-29-09, 05:53 PM
Real Buckaroos and Cowboys swing a quirt:cool:

Petz
10-29-09, 07:29 PM
yeah, um... Os, I have no clue. I'd say sure but I'd be guessing.

SlingerDun
10-29-09, 07:35 PM
Lou Gosset packed one in "Officer and a Gentlemen" (1982) even had notches carved in it for every scuzzy college puke he got to DOR:scared:

Petz
10-29-09, 08:19 PM
didn't that take place further back in time???

SlingerDun
10-30-09, 07:38 PM
It's current with the year of production

cedarbird6
11-21-09, 08:19 AM
I do..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/cedarbird6/Roy%20and%20Robert/USMC_swager.jpg

cedarbird6
11-21-09, 08:24 AM
I was stationed at E 2/1 FMF at Horno from 55 to 58.<o></o>
Not only do I remember them, but I still have mine. Now how did I get away with that. <o></o>
It was easy.<o></o>
I was the CO radio operator. As such I had to instruct platoon operators as well as bat operators on maintenance correct language and all the rest.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>
Naturally I needed some sort of pointing tool. <o></o>
Actually mine was a lot shorter too.<o></o>
But I swaggered the daylight out of it..<o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
It has a 50 caliber casing on one end and a 30 caliber with metal jacket on the other end..<o></o>
Over the years I’ve managed to hang on to 1 Globe and Anchor collar emblem, my short swagger (pointer) 1 pennant and my dress blue jacket…<o></o>
go figure

(dont know why I had to make 2 post for this?)

<!--EndFragment-->

GIrene
11-21-09, 09:44 AM
Could this swagger stick have been derived from the Roman Army Centurion vine staff or vitis that was used for whacking miscreant soldiers? It was typically three feet long and made of grape vine. If memory serves me correct Centurions were like the SNCO's of the Roman Army.

For that reason I think they should bring it back for ceremonial/historical purposes. The swagger stick has a lot of history behind it and it does stem from the Roman vitis.

It probably only got a bad reputation when it was probably overused on Marines.

I had a friend tell me his Uncle went through Boot Camp in the 50's. The Utilities then had metal tack buttons and the Drill Instructors all carried swagger sticks. They would moderately tap on the top button of the utility coat when driving home points. By the end of Boot he said he had a large bruise on his upper chest from being tapped on so much. I guess in a long period of time the button just acted like a die on a rivet gun.

kenrobg30
11-22-09, 10:38 AM
Sgt John ( Honor Platoon, to hisPeers) Henderson, Never Laid his swagger stick on any of his people, nor would he allow any one else to to do so. . At that time, he had produced more Honor Platoons than any other DI in Parris Island. He had his own methods of making us pay attention. Semper Fi ! Sgt Henderson. 257, 1949.

Zebra29er
11-22-09, 03:51 PM
Our DI's had them in 1960 , and we had them but called them "Short Timer Sticks" in country in 65 n 66
http://i46.tinypic.com/xku4b4.jpg
Made out of M-14 rounds casings

kenrobg30
11-22-09, 06:26 PM
HEY dUCW, i ROAD INONE OF THOSE ONCE. SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME111 aS FOR THE SWAGGER STICK, iF IT DIDN;T BREAK A BONE OR DRAW BLOOD IT WAS LEGAL
SEMPER FI!
kEN