PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder injury a month before boot

evanmontella10
10-22-09, 02:07 PM
I was benching about two weeks ago and I heard a crunch in my shoulder, I was in a bit of pain for the rest of the workout but kept going anyway. After I got home I could barely move it without some intense pain so I took the week off without working out. I went back to doing my pushups and armtrong program and then decided to get back to the gym my shoulder wasn't as bad but still not that great. I went to the doctor and he said I messed up the rotator cuff and since its agitated the bones that are between it are now separated and referred to the orthopedist. I see him tuesday but I'm unsure what to tell him about boot I've already been moved back due to over enlistment at boot camp. So getting pushed back again is not something I want. If my shoulder isn't ready to go by boot should I tell my recruiter? I don't want to get dropped cause of it or go to boot injured and get dropped there and not be able to go back. I can work through pain but I don't want to get screwed out of having the chance to becomd a Marine. Any thoughts?

Cash2053
10-22-09, 02:38 PM
See what the doctor says. If it is serious, then tell your recruiter. You said it yourself, you do not want to go to boot injured and get dropped. Its better to wait until you heal and go and get separated medically. You will not be able to hide a shoulder injury.

evanmontella10
10-23-09, 12:09 AM
Thank you. I obviously wrote this message prematurely I'm pretty worried though so that was my reasoning. When I see the orthopedist on tuesday should I withhold the fact I'm going to boot camp? Doctors can be overcautious I've learned from experience with a knee injury so I don't want him to try and hold me back for his benefit if I'm able to go on my scheduled date.

Zulu 36
10-23-09, 06:41 AM
Thank you. I obviously wrote this message prematurely I'm pretty worried though so that was my reasoning. When I see the orthopedist on tuesday should I withhold the fact I'm going to boot camp? Doctors can be overcautious I've learned from experience with a knee injury so I don't want him to try and hold me back for his benefit if I'm able to go on my scheduled date.

Since you're seeing your own doctor and not one at MEPS, you don't HAVE to tell him anything. But, if you want to see if it makes a diff, just skip telling him about boot camp until the end of the exam and see if his opinion changes. Eventually, if I were you, I would want the orthopod to know about boot camp.

Stresses on your shoulder are much higher in boot camp than in plain ol' civilian life. It might make a difference how aggressive he wants to approach any therapy.

Might it set you back? Maybe. But it's much better to go at 100% than 80%. As Cash2053 said, you won't be able to hide a shoulder injury.

evanmontella10
10-23-09, 05:49 PM
Yeah the moved back thing worries me a little I don't know if I could get dropped from the delayed entry program for it. I'm on good terms with my recruiter and I have the top IST along with another poolee right now for our monthly functions but I also had ACL surgery and two misdameanors on my record which have all already have been waived so I don't know if those would apply when they look at this new injury.

evanmontella10
10-27-09, 10:37 AM
Saw the doctor today he said it didn't seem like anything from the examination and said to work out lightly and go back to see him Nov. 10th 6 days before I leave. Hopefully works.