PDA

View Full Version : LHS dean set to run in Marine Corps Marathon to fight Parkinson's Disease

thedrifter
10-22-09, 09:11 AM
LHS dean set to run in Marine Corps Marathon to fight Parkinson's Disease
October 22, 2009

By DANI SCHWEIGERT dschweigert@pioneerlocal.com

When a loved one is in need, family members and friends often step up to help make a difference.

And Sean Ferrell, dean of students at Libertyville High School, is certainly going the distance to help his father, Don. Ferrell will run in the Marine Corps Marathon Oct. 25 in Washington, D.C. in support of Don, a former corporal in the U.S. Marines who has suffered from Parkinson's disease since 1982 at the age of 39. According to Wikipedia, Parkinson's disease is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system that often impairs the sufferer's motor skills, speech and other functions. Parkinson's disease belongs to a group of conditions called motor system disorders, which are the result of the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells.

The 26.2-mile run is Ferrell's first full marathon and, he said, he's doing it to honor not only his dad, but also his mom, Carol, for her devotion to Don and her family. Ferrell will leave for the race Oct. 23 and will return Oct. 26.

"The biggest lessons I've learned from my parents are loyalty, perseverance and that life isn't always fair, but what's most important is how we react to that," Ferrell said.

He added that watching his dad deal with Parkinson's has taught him to appreciate life, especially his health and family, which includes his wife and three children. His dad has shown him how important attitude and a strong work ethic are and, as a freshmen football and varsity baseball coach at the high school, Ferrell tries to instill those qualities in his athletes and students.

To train for the marathon, Ferrell has been following an 18-week plan since June. He has run up to 20 miles and also swims and bikes, but he knows the marathon won't be easy.
Needing a challenge

"I know what I'm in for, and I know the last six to eight miles will be tough for me," he said. "But I like different challenges. I've done triathlons before, and I wanted to see whether I could do a marathon. It's the competitor in me - I always need to have a challenge to motivate me."

Ferrell is running to raise money to fight Parkinson's, but he doesn't have a specific goal in mind of how much he wants to raise.

"I've already accomplished what I wanted to," he said. "What has meant more to me than donations are the little things like e-mails from my coworkers supporting me and telling me I've inspired them."

One of Ferrell's coworkers is an ex-marine and gave Ferrell a card and a World War II medal that was passed down to him from a marine. Another meaningful moment, Ferrell said, was when he visited his dad and could see the look of appreciation in his dad's eyes.

"My dad was always in my life," Ferrell said. "The biggest gift you can give someone is your time. I don't want to be in a position where it's too late to say how much someone I love means to me."

Ferrell also will donate a portion of the money he collects, along with a personal donation, to the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund. As he talked about what the marathon means to him, Ferrell could barely fight back the tears of emotion.

"I don't think the impact of it will hit me until I cross the finish line," he said. "When I'm running, I know I'm going to hit that wall, but when I think of my dad and mom, that's what will keep me going. I'm going to finish that race no matter what. If I have to walk across the finish line, I'm going to finish."

Ellie