PDA

View Full Version : A little Overweight

DevilPup20
10-21-09, 04:40 AM
My name is Tyler. I am 20 year old and I am 5'9" and 217lbs. I know that for my age and height I am 8 pounds overweight. My question is, Can I ship out to boot even though I am 8 pounds over my weight limit? I am hoping to sign up this year. Also I am out of shape and was wondering do you have to pass the fitness test at MEPS before your ship out to boot or are you able to fail some of it and still ship but have to spend some time in the PCP? Becoming a Marine is a dream of mine.

Thank you.
Tyler.

scifguard
10-21-09, 05:44 AM
If you haven't even enlisted yet then you will have plenty of time to lose weight and become somewhat fit. Your RSS should be doing poolee functions on a weekly basis to get you physically ready.

Zulu 36
10-21-09, 05:46 AM
My name is Tyler. I am 20 year old and I am 5'9" and 217lbs. I know that for my age and height I am 8 pounds overweight. My question is, Can I ship out to boot even though I am 8 pounds over my weight limit? I am hoping to sign up this year. Also I am out of shape and was wondering do you have to pass the fitness test at MEPS before your ship out to boot or are you able to fail some of it and still ship but have to spend some time in the PCP? Becoming a Marine is a dream of mine.

Thank you.
Tyler.

Try the search function. This topic probably has more info available than anything else (except being a sniper or recon).

Get your butt into shape before your ship if this is such a dream.

WalkingMan
10-21-09, 07:43 AM

Thank you.
Tyler.

You have identified two problems (overweight, and out of shape), and you are aware that both of these problems must be dealt with, in order to reach your goal.

Instead of concerning yourself with whether or not you can deal with these problems *after* you ship out, you might want to consider starting to deal with them *today*.

That way, before you even get around to visiting a recruiting office, you will be lean and mean and able to easily pass the PFT.

The recruiter will take one look at you, and know that you are already good to go.

That's what you really want, isn't it?

Now, I will get off my arse, and go run my own version of the 'daily PFT'... seven mile run, sit-up, crunches, pull-ups, pushups, free weights, and dip bar.

If I can do it, you can do it. Get to it!

Phantom Blooper
10-21-09, 09:20 AM
Either you are overweight or not.....

This comment of little overweight is mute.

You need to follow the advice of the Marines here and also do a search of this site to get a healthy diet and start a daily PT regime to shed those pounds and to get down to the weight for your height that is acceptable to Marine Corps standards.

It is totally up to you to lose the weight and start to get and shape and have the healthy lifestyle.

Motivation comes within....nobody except you can motivate yourself to shed the pounds!

DON'T wait until boot camp to lose weight....

Just do it and do it NOW!:evilgrin:

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-21-09, 11:03 AM
My name is Tyler. I am 20 year old and I am 5'9" and 217lbs.

At 5-9 you are 217 pounds. I hope you are muscular, or a big framed person. 217 pounds is way to heavy for a male of 5-9.

The lighter you are, the easier boot camp and life will be for you. I would try to get well under 200 pounds if I were you unless you are very muscular and have a reason to weigh 217. 175-180 is ideal weight for that height.

firedog974
10-21-09, 11:11 AM

Thank you.
Tyler.

You will have to show your recruiter you can meet the minimum standards before you ship. If you cannot meet the standards, you don't go. You need to really change your mindset, and focus on NOW. Don't wait to go to boot camp to get in shape, and definately do not go with the mindset of going to PCP to get you in shape. If that is your mindset, you are already setting yourself up for failure. Start eating right and exercizing. Set goals for yourself and achieve them. Don't wait for something to happen to you, make things happen for you.

TRosa06
10-21-09, 04:37 PM
Are you sure 209 is your max? Im 70" (5' 10") and my max is 191...You might want to look into that. They will not let you ship until you reach all minimum requirements, to include your IST and weight standards.

gwamo1
10-22-09, 03:22 PM
I'm 6'1 and my max is 208. What HT/WT chart did you look at?

Wyoming
10-22-09, 03:31 PM
Isn't a 'liitle overweight' like a 'little pregnant'?

Either you is or you ain't!

6'5" and 230 here.

3, 5, then 3 miles on MWF.

Walk 5 or so the other days.

Methinks my 4.2 lb Chihuahua is in better shape than you are, young padawan.

DevilPup20
10-24-09, 05:31 AM
I talked to my recruiter and he told me that my sign up weight 209lbs and I have to be 185lbs before I ship off to boot.

Thank you for your all your help.

MarineNCurls
10-24-09, 05:55 AM
I talked to my recruiter and he told me that my sign up weight 209lbs and I have to be 185lbs before I ship off to boot.

Thank you for your all your help.

They do have slightly different standards when you ship to boot camp, so your recruiter is probably right.

NO, you will not be shipped to boot camp if you are overweight.
YES, you must be able to pass the IST before going to boot camp.

Don't look at these programs (i.e. PCP) has a crutch to become a Marine.