PDA

View Full Version : MOS for a female

MarineBound
10-20-09, 09:51 PM
I am 14 years old, and i have wanted to be in the Marine Corp since i was just 5 years old. I am currently attending a Military high school, its helping out a lot and i absolutely love it, but we were talking about what we wanted our MOS to be, and i realized, i don't know what i want to be yet. I am a female, so what i wanted to be was infantry, but women can not do infantry, or direct front line battle, which knocks out a lot of what i wanted to do. So I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me by giving me a list of MOS's that are more out on the field in which a female can do.
Thank you.

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-20-09, 09:57 PM
You can be a field radio operator. That job will get you outdoors.

Maybe things will change in the next four years, who knows.

Stay motivated:!:

Lisa 23
10-20-09, 10:02 PM
Since you are only 14 years old, a Recruiter probably won't even talk to you yet. Whatever it is that YOU want to do in the Marine Corps, is your choice, not ours......and a lot of what you can or cannot do depends on how well you score on the ASVAB test.

United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

Fubar5812
10-21-09, 01:37 AM
Field Mp,Motor T are your two best bets at this current time.

jrwenzel
10-21-09, 03:47 AM
if you want to shoot stuff be a crew chief for rotar wings.

Meserole08orah
10-21-09, 08:31 AM
You can do alot of combat camera in the field. Most the Marines that i was iwth in Afghanistan that were combat camera or INTEL seen more stuff then some grunts and recon. it really depends on what kind of person you are. Right now it has NOTHING to do with your ASVAB becaus you can worry about that in 4 years devil pup. right now just find out what you are interested in. lots of research devil

commdog7
10-21-09, 12:00 PM
It doesn't really matter what mos you got, what matters is the unit you are with. I think every mos in the Corps has the opportunity to deploy to a combat zone. If you want to get close to combat, I would suggest you stay away from admin, food services, and aviation mechanic mos's. Look into intel, motor transport, supply, crew chief, or linguist, those are your best bets to see stuff.

I was a radio operator in Iraq, but I didn't get to see much. Most of it was because of the unit I was with, female radio operators usually are forced to stay inside the wire- set up comm in the rear. Radio operator isn't a very fun mos, I suggest you look into something else.

mErKtWiSt
10-21-09, 01:21 PM
Motor T is a good one if you want to go outside the wire. While you are in country you get a chance to do ALOT of convoys. Which you can end up being a driver, machine gunner etc... Also like commdog said it depends greatly on your unit and what their mission is. Also for females i know there are opportunities to be on a Lioness Team, QRF(Quick Reaction Force), Field MP plus many more. Although these are not MOS's they are jobs you can have if you want to volunteer or voluntold.

brian0351
10-23-09, 02:21 AM
Well the main thing you need to identify is why you want to be frontlines. You want guts and glory? Charge the hill and kill the enemy? Sometimes that really isn't all what it's cracked up to be. <br />

Sgt Leprechaun
10-23-09, 03:32 AM
You are only limited by your imagination. You can NOT do the following:

Infantry, Artillery, Tanks.

Every other MOS is open to you.

Here is some moto to get you started:

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/53148610.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDB25D7EE0BB095186 4CA3E66D070751A179C63A675A2390B8B01E70F2B3269972
Female Marines Work Checkpoint In Fallujah After Ambush

FALLUJAH, IRAQ - JUNE 25: Marine Lance Cpl. Olivia Watkins (L) chats with Lance Cpl. Jillian Masmela in the shed used to search female Iraqi women at Entry Control Point 1, a guarded entry into the city June 25, 2005 in Fallujah, Iraq. According to reports, a suicide car bomber killed at least four Marines, including at least 3 women, wounding 13 Marines, 11 being female in a military convoy. The Marines were attacked while traveling back to Camp Falluja after duty at the entry control point into the Iraqi city. The female Marines help with searches of women Iraqi citizens trying t o enter the city.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/03/13/women1.jpg (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/03/13/women1.jpg)
Marines in Afghanistan are now using a strategy deemed successful in Iraq: an all-female unit to inter-act with women and children.
The 3rd Battalion, 8th Regiment has begun to use the unit as it deploys into villages in hopes of winning hearts and minds. Cultural taboos would largely keep male Marines from speaking to Afghan women and girls.

http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/public/InfolineMarines.nsf/0/1789E896E0D1E000432575AA002F735C/$FILE/090421-M-7097L-001.processed.large.jpg

Female Marine serving as Machine Gunner in Iraq as part of Lioness program:
AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq – A city girl from coastal California shocked her relatives and friends when she became the first in her family to join the Marine Corps in 2005.

Cpl. Susy H. Aguilar started her Marine Corps career as a supply clerk at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif., and shortly thereafter deployed to Iraq in 2006.

During her 2006 deployment, Aguilar stepped out of the warehouse and into the ranks of an infantry unit to serve as a female searcher as a Lioness. The Lioness program was introduced earlier in Operation Iraqi Freedom to ease cultural sensitivities over interaction between Coalition forces and Iraqi females, and Aguilar jumped at the chance to serve with an all-male infantry unit. Her experiences with the grunts had a profound impact on her.

“There was a time when we were out in what seemed like the middle of nowhere,” said Aguilar, recalling her first combat experience. “I was already scared as it was, and then we started to get mortared.”

“There was a little [Iraqi] boy who I had been interacting with,” she said. “He was really scared and wouldn’t leave my side. One of the grunts came back, gave me his flak jacket and told me to put it on the boy.
“He had no problem giving up his flak and risking his own safety. That is when I decided I wanted to do a more combat-related [job]. I wanted to be more like them.”

Prior to beginning her next deployment to Iraq, Aguilar volunteered to go through the machine gunner’s course not thinking she, as a female, would be called upon to put these skills to use.

Though she had her doubts, Aguilar had already extended her contract to the Marine Corps in hopes of experiencing the deployment from the turret of an armored vehicle.

“I was really shocked when my name was called and I had been chosen,” Aguilar said.

Aguilar was then assigned to Transportation Support Company, Combat Logistics Battalion 7, 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward), and deployed for her second tour to Iraq in February 2009. Not only was Aguilar new to the company, she also had to establish her capabilities in the eyes of her male counterparts.

“I wasn’t nervous, but I knew I had to prove myself to them when I was taking apart the gun, cleaning it, or doing a test fire,” she said. “I always felt like they were watching me to see if I knew what I was doing.”

However, it didn’t take long for the platoon to realize that Aguilar had what it took to be a gunner and could be counted upon to provide fire support if necessary.

GREY MATTER
10-23-09, 04:00 AM
look at the big picture, i know you are only 14, but what sort of things are you interested in?
then base your decision of what you enjoy doing. every single MOS will get you to a combat zone if the need arises