PDA

View Full Version : Twin brothers, cousin enlist with Marine Reserves

thedrifter
08-15-03, 05:54 AM
Twin brothers, cousin enlist with Marine Reserves

When it comes to local support of American troops, few can top the David family, considering that they have more young sons heading for active training than any other family in the area.

Twin brothers Joe and Allan and their cousin Jake David depart today for basic training at Parris Island, S.C., to become part of the Marine Corps Reserves.

Also serving in the Reserves is Jake's older brother, Jim David, whose graduation ceremony is what set the spark in the other three young men.

Gunnery Sgt. Bruce Benkart, who recruited the trio, considered them one of the more unusual groups he has found.

"I've seen twins come in before, but I don't think I've seen quite that many from one family with the twins and the cousin and another brother already serving," he said.

Each of the teens said the graduation ceremony for Jim David inspired them to become Marines. Benkart called Jim's influence "a domino effect" that brought the number of Davids in the Marine Corps to four.

"I saw [Jim] graduate, and I saw the changes he went through," said Joe. "You can tell it's something special these people go through."

After seeing his cousin's graduation and speaking with recruiters, Joe signed up in November, prompting his brother's and cousin's enlistment.

"We were never planning on going to the Marine Corps until we saw how my cousin changed," said Allan David.

Allan, in an effort to stay with his identical twin, subsequently got together with his cousin, Jake, and signed up for the Marine Corps.

Having his older brother complete training and become a Marine was not the only driving force in Jake's decision to join, but he expects to use the accomplishment to help him stay driven during training. "My brother went through it, so I have an idea," he said. "When I'm there, I'll know he did it, and that'll go through my head, and that'll be motivation. I'll know he did it, and I can do it, too."

Jake, Joe and Allan will start on the path toward the Reserves when they leave for basic training today. After completing basic training, Allan and Jake will head to Camp Geiger, N.C., for four to six weeks of infantry training. The two then will join Jim at the Reserve center in Moundsville, W.Va.

Joe will go on his own to Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., to complete the four to six weeks of military police training, and then he will be stationed in North Versailles.

Joe and Allan graduated from Uniontown Area High School, and Jake graduated from Laurel Highlands High School. All three are 18 years old.

Although they will be enduring the trials and tribulations together, as well as sharing in the celebrations and successes, each has a different reason for signing up and personal goals in mind.

For Joe, visiting the Marine Corps office was the turning point in his decision to join last September.

"I've been thinking about the military since the beginning of my 11th grade year but not sure where I wanted to go," he said. "Once I walked into the Marine Corps' office, I knew it was there. They had me from the start."

The possibility of a career in the military as an active member of the Marines was the deciding factor for Joe, who ventured a different route than his brother and cousins.

"Since I was thinking about the possibility of going active after a year [away at school], I wasn't sure if I wanted to be infantry full time. If I would stay a reservist, it would've been fun to once a month be rolling around in the dirt and shooting guns but not something to do full time and every day. So I went in a different direction [military police]."

With the money earned via the Montgomery G.I. Bill, Joe will attend college after completing training to try to discover what to do with his life: "My plan right now is to come back and go to school. I'm not sure where or what I want to do, so after a year of school, if I'm still not sure what I want to do, then I'll go [into active duty]," he said.

If he does opt for active duty, he plans to complete his required years and then make another decision about whether to stay active or return to school.

For Allan, joining the Marines was a way to stay with his brother and make money for college. "Joe was signed up before me, and I really didn't know what I wanted to do, and I wasn't really ready for college yet, so I figured I'd sign up and go with him," he said.

Allan is considering using the money from the Montgomery GI Bill to attend either California University of Pennsylvania or Penn State Fayette, but like his brother, he hasn't ruled out a career in the military: "If I find that I like it, I'll make it a career, but that's a decision I have to make along the line."

For Jake, it was a matter of challenging himself while following in his brother's footsteps and doing so alongside his cousins. With Joe already committed, Jake and Allan decided to join him.

"Allan and I thought we might as well make it a family thing, make it an experience and do it together," said Jake.

While his cousins decided on the military for college or career reasons, Jake was looking forward to putting himself to the test during training, a test he thinks he can handle. "I'm doing it for the training as more of a physical challenge," he said. "I'll use it to pay for college, but that's not my main reason. I want the challenge, to see if I can do it. It's more of a self thing."

As the day of departure for training approaches, the family has gathered to share hugs, well wishes and tearful goodbyes, but Jake, Joe and Allan have one thing in mind: getting started.

"Now that these guys joined up, we've been kind of feeding off one another, so we're ready to go," said Joe. "I just can't wait to get it started, get down there with my brother and cousin and get it done."

Even with troops under pressure in Iraq and stationed at hot spots around the globe and with turmoil looming in Iran, North Korea and Liberia, Benkart sensed no hesitation or second thoughts when he visited the Davids shortly before their departure for training.

"They're ready to go. In fact [when I saw them], we went for a 3-mile run. They're three good young men that are ready to go," he said.

The Davids do not seem affected by the thought of being in harm's way, even though it is a very real possibility for their near future.

"I supported the war [in Iraq]. I thought it was something we needed to get done," said Allan. "As far as going over there, I'd go over, but it's not something I'm looking forward to. ...That's why you do it, and that's why you train."

While the young recruits are not worried, as with nearly everyone that joins the military, it is their mothers who will handle most of the worrying for them.

According to Allan, it took his mother some time to support the idea of her twin sons volunteering for dangerous situations.

"She'd rather us not, but she understands," he said.

It might not make it easier, but Jake's parents at least have the added benefit of already going through the process with their oldest son, already a member of the Marine Corps.

"When my brother first joined, there was the mother thing. She didn't like it at first [that I joined], but it's not as bad now because Jimmy's in it, and she's not as worried," Jake said.

The worrying will transform into intense pride as the trio nears the completion of training in November and gets ready for graduation, the very event that brought them to the Marine Corps in the first place.

"Graduation's going to be something very, very special with all three of us graduating together," said Joe.

ŠThe Herald Standard 2003
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9985155&BRD=2280&PAG=461&dept_id=480247&rfi=6

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: