PDA

View Full Version : Some SOI ?'s

BigGunz90
10-20-09, 03:41 PM
Good afternoon fellow Marines,

Pardon me if this is in the wrong the spot, but I had a few questions about SOI [ITB to be more specific]. My recruiter isn't helping me out that well.

1. Do I take EVERYTHING that I got at boot back with me?

2. Are the days like a 9-5 type job? Or is it all day like bootcamp? I'm aware that if I'm in the field the days are continuous but I'm just wondering how it works.

3. If I wanna be an LAV crewman, is it possible to pick that? Or what do you have to do in order to get into LAV's?

That's it for now. I had more but I searched the site and found answers to most of them. Thanks and Semper Fi.

Bdchi1
10-20-09, 03:45 PM
Change your tag MARINE...you're not a poolee any longer. S/F

Lisa 23
10-20-09, 03:48 PM
You can update that signature of yours from poolee to Marine.
Hope this helps some...
School Of Infantry - East
http://www.marines.mil/units/hqmc/tecom/soieast/Pages/welcome.aspx

http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/soi/gen/index.shtml

polizei
10-20-09, 04:07 PM
You might want to bring everything. I did, but I went through MCT.

hayes1225
10-20-09, 06:09 PM
Perhaps I can help. I went through ITB (0331) Apr 09-Jun09, Bravo. I brought everything from boot, then some. You can have your cell phone, laptop, and ipod and all that fun happy crap, they'll get the serial #'s from you. During the week, your free time at night can be restrictive, like no ipods after lights out and crap like that. The days can be long, especially after the MOS split. It's definitely a lot better than boot camp, but you are still in student status. You will have the weekends and will usually be able to do whatever you want, although you may have to be back at a certain time each night. As far as LAV, not it's not something you pick, if you get orders for a LAV unit, then that's where you'll go. Remember that after SOI, generally you go straight to your first duty station, so you'll need to have all your gear. If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.

Lisa 23
10-20-09, 06:11 PM
What to Expect & Training Overview
http://www.marines.mil/units/hqmc/tecom/soieast/itb/Pages/Expect.aspx

Lupo22
10-21-09, 06:43 AM
I graduate on Friday from Charlie company at itb. Were te strictest company so it's diff for us. We never got dip breaks til the mos split an phones?? Ya right! Great training though. The other companies are much more lenient. As far as gear. Bring it all but u won't use anything besides Canmore and cold weather gear. Good luck Marine!

Quinbo
10-21-09, 09:29 AM
That is a very good point about having everything because you are shipped directly to your duty station from SOI. If you show up there missing something you will have to run to cash sales and buy it. You could attempt to check in in chalphas ha ha.

Lupo22
10-22-09, 06:47 PM
sorry i just realized how bad my post was...i did it from my iPhone lol

Anyways, yea, bring all your uniforms and anything you want for luxury. They say no laptops but i brought mine and had no problems with it. just keep your stuff locked up and let no one in your locker!

echo3oscar1833
10-22-09, 07:46 PM
Bring everything with you that you where issued in Boot. This includes proper motivation.:D Congrats on becoming a Marine, welcome to the Corps. Semper Fi:beer:

brian0351
10-23-09, 01:48 AM
As far as I can remember, I think 0313 is only done out at SOI West.

When it comes to MOS split week. Your MOS is awarded to you based on your "wish list" and scholastic class ranking during 03xx.

Once they sort out the Security Forces and reserve Marines they will announce how many slots remain in each job position. 0331, 0341, 0351(A and C Co only) and 0352(B Co only!). Everyone who didn't make the above positions are 0311.

So if you want a non-0311 MOS I suggest you study hard and ace all your tests. Everyone will be itching to go out on weekends...I recommend you stay in, save money and study. After all who wants to be a butt-plate?! :)

GREY MATTER
10-23-09, 03:53 AM
I graduate on Friday from Charlie company at itb. Were te strictest company so it's diff for us. We never got dip breaks til the mos split an phones?? Ya right! Great training though. The other companies are much more lenient. As far as gear. Bring it all but u won't use anything besides Canmore and cold weather gear. Good luck Marine!

YOU HAVE COMPUTER ACCESS AND YOU HAVEN'T GRADUATED????...

we didnt even get phone privileges until after we graduated.

to the OP...bring all of your issued gear. you will be going to your next duty station right after you graduate from SOI, you get boot leave, but you dont get SOI leave.

but sh*t alot has changed...apparently you get computer access in bootcamp and soi/mct now...sh*t we didnt even get barracks when i went through MCT, it was 1 night in a quonset hut (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=4iv&ei=bW_hSvGTDov4NdHi7K0B&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CBcQBSgA&q=quonset+hut&spell=1) the day you got there and one night in the hut before you graduated...the rest of the time was sleeping under the stars

Supersquishy
10-23-09, 05:23 AM
sh*t we didnt even get barracks when i went through MCT, it was 1 night in a quonset hut (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=4iv&ei=bW_hSvGTDov4NdHi7K0B&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CBcQBSgA&q=quonset+hut&spell=1) the day you got there and one night in the hut before you graduated...the rest of the time was sleeping under the stars

You got lucky and didn't do mess duty before being picked up for MCT? Bastard. Two weeks for mess duty then holy hell broke loose during indoc to MCT, seemed like bootcamp all over again, up late, drug test, games, 4 hours sleep in the quanset hut, then more games in the morning packing our 782 gear then off to the field. Would do it again if I had too, NOT.