PDA

View Full Version : Any UAV Marines?

Jaxxx
10-20-09, 02:15 PM
I am weighing my options right now and trying to decide between MSG or doing a lat move and going into the UAV field. Anybody hve some insight on this MOS? I talked to a few guys while I was in Iraq and they seemed to love it. Where are duty stations for UAV operators? All I could find so far is the stumps. Dont really have much desire to go to the stumps but I have some old friends there so it's not so bad, would much rather be in pendleton though. Thanks Marines!

DocGreek
10-20-09, 03:04 PM
:evilgrin:....NO PROFILE....NO ANSWERS!!!!...:evilgrin:

StoneTheWeak
10-20-09, 04:29 PM
I'm gonna guess stumps is the only place for them. Reason being that they wouldn't interfere as much with air space like they would over at Miramar or Pendleton.

JimmyK
10-20-09, 06:07 PM
Look up the VMU squadrons, that who the UAV's belong to. Each Air Wing has a squadron of them. The 2nd MAW's are HQ'd at Cherry Point but do a lot of flying out of Bogue Field. The FAA makes it a pain in the ass to fly those things over the US so I know they dont get as much stick time as they'd like to.

JarWife4Life
10-20-09, 11:50 PM
my husband was in vmu-1 watchdog in the stumps.. then there in the sister unit vmu-2 nightowls in NC.. and now there is vmu-3 phantoms also in the stumps.. my husband wasnt a uav operator but he was a mech

jrwenzel
10-21-09, 03:14 AM
my best friend is actually a UAV operator. she's in Afghanistan right now, but i can give you here usmc email and you can chat with her if you want. but yes, it's only the stumps or NC for duty stations

Supersquishy
10-21-09, 05:13 AM
Do you have to be an Officer to fly a UAV?

JarWife4Life
10-21-09, 06:42 AM
i dont think so... my husband was a motor t mech and none of the operators ever hung out with us so i cant be 100% sure

JarWife4Life
10-21-09, 09:39 PM
sorry if i wasnt supposed to comment...just thought i would share that my husband was in a UAV squadron...my apologies

Lisa 23
10-21-09, 09:58 PM
JarWife4Life - Marine Spouses and Marine Families are only supposed to post in the "Marine Family" (Open Discussion, Marine Parents and Marine Spouse) part of the forum only.
Open Squad Bay is for Marine Veterans.