PDA

View Full Version : Advice on picking a MOS

Vanish34
10-20-09, 09:56 AM
I posted in another form saying how I might be screwed but I have been reading and I want to ask different questions. I could sign a contract for the field Legal and Admistration, which I don't know if ill be ok with that. I really want Military Police, Intelligence, or Logistics. If I take that MOS (Legal and Admistration) is it easy to change jobs? Another thing is schooling is important to me, would being in that field make it easier to go to school? THANKS MARINES

firedog974
10-20-09, 10:04 AM
I am not sure if things have changed, but last I knew you could only be guaranteed a field, not a specific MOS. I hope I am not giving you bum scoop. Whatever job you choose, you will be stuck with for a while. The Corps invests a lot of money sending you to school, and they want you to work in that field for a while. It is hard to say what job would be the easiest as far as school goes. This is the Marine Corps and mission comes first. Legal Admin, chances are, you would have time to attend. But keep in mind legal clerks go on MEU's and deployments. The good thing is the Corps offers a lot of distance learning opportunities IF you work hard and take advantage of them. I know a lot of Marines who earned their degrees while they were in. Not many of them had desk jobs. The opportunities for school are there, it is up to you to utilize them, no matter what job you are doing.

Vanish34
10-20-09, 10:13 AM
Thanks Marine, I understand that. Another thing is if I were to take a desk job, would I be able to go out and do any kind of training missions or just anything to further my abilities of being a Marine, not just working behind a desk and getting lazy?

firedog974
10-20-09, 10:21 AM
Thanks Marine, I understand that. Another thing is if I were to take a desk job, would I be able to go out and do any kind of training missions or just anything to further my abilities of being a Marine, not just working behind a desk and getting lazy?

Training as a Marine NEVER stops, no matter what the job. What a lot of people do not understand is boot camp is the EASY part of the Corps. The challenge comes pushing yourself everyday for four (or more if you choose) years. You will understand this a little better when you get in. I promise no matter what your job, you will not just be sitting behind a desk. I will tell you what my senior DI told me when he gave me my Eagle, Globe and anchor: "Being a Marine NEVER stops. You have to push yourself everyday. You are never a complete Marine because there is always one more challenge. You always have to strive to reach the next level."

Vanish34
10-20-09, 10:38 AM
"Being a MARINE never stops" I like that and you telling me this is helping a lot. Now last question how many people get through boot camp and then end up disliking there job?

NoRemorse
10-20-09, 10:41 AM
"Being a MARINE never stops" I like that and you telling me this is helping a lot. Now last question how many people get through boot camp and then end up disliking there job?

Do you think we keep charts of that? If you're worried about that then you're not tracking with what you want and what's available.

Think of it this way. Your dream job could be a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week suckfest that you hate. It depends on what you're willing to do and what you're not willing to do, regardless of the conditions at the job. You're expected to push yourself harder and better yourself constantly.

firedog974
10-20-09, 10:45 AM
Some. Nothing is ever what you think it will be. You WILL deal with BS in the Corps. You will have things you hate about it. A positive mental attitude is the best thing in the world. Not just for the Corps, but for life. I had a job in the Corps I loved, but there were things that irritated me. The key is staying positive and focusing on the good. I am telling you this because there are Marines who get in a job they do not like and gripe and b*tch all day. That accomplishes nothing. My attitude was, even if I am mopping floors, I AM A MARINE. That is why I joined.

TRLewis
10-20-09, 10:48 AM
I posted in another form saying how I might be screwed but I have been reading and I want to ask different questions. I could sign a contract for the field Legal and Admistration, which I don't know if ill be ok with that. I really want Military Police, Intelligence, or Logistics. If I take that MOS (Legal and Admistration) is it easy to change jobs? Another thing is schooling is important to me, would being in that field make it easier to go to school? THANKS MARINES

Here's the deal with logistics since we work together.

0411 - To put simply I think they order parts that are needed. I'm not sure
0431 - Embarkation, basically when you deploy you make sure things go easy, and you won't sleep. And you better know how to use tact, because you'll have a lot of guys out ranking you and you need to be able to tell them what you need them to do. It's a fun job, but when things are going you don't sleep. You and sometimes the S4 officer will help you, then sometimes you're on your own. You will get the order, it will tell you when/how you're moving, what is being taken, how many pax, and tons of other stuff. You will develop the plan for air, sea, rail. And when you go before the group commander to explain how were moving you better be sure of what you have.

Don't be lazy, if you can fit on 3 C4's, 5 C17's do it, don't get more than what you need. Because HQ has to pay the air force for the use. And you will cram stuff into a plane that you didnt think was possible. I don't know if they changed it but they used ALPS which was nice because it had all US planes, and a lot of allied planes. Because you have to weigh everything that is going on that plane and then find the center of balance for all the vehicles. Then you have to get everything with hazmat's marked, and make sure that you don't have the wrong stuff together on the same plane. Which could spell disaster if something happened. There is a million other things they do, I should write up a post.

Now once you get thru the school at Johnson, you will goto a unit. If its a good unit and they want move quickly you will be back in more schools on the base. I hit hazmat, ship loading, aircraft loading, and rail loading(i was in Hawaii so I dont know) before I even knew who I worked with. I reported on friday and was in school on Monday.

0451 - You can volunteer for this at MCT, they only have a few slots but they will test you on the Army PT test because you have to goto school at Benning.

0481 - I was assigned to a red patch unit and had to do their operations with them but they never helped me with mine. Isn't that weird? Basically they're landing support. Be it beach head, convoy, or by helicopter. They bring everything in. I'm not up to speed on everything they did on the radio but I know how to bring in a helicopter with a humvee hanging below it.

Vanish34
10-20-09, 10:55 AM
Alright THANKS MARINES, you are right firedog becoming a Marine is all I should care about. I mean I work behind a desk now but thinking about becoming a Marine is exciting, I can't even focus on anything else.

Petz
10-20-09, 11:07 AM

0431 - Embarkation, basically when you deploy you make sure things go easy, and you won't sleep. And you better know how to use tact, because you'll have a lot of guys out ranking you and you need to be able to tell them what you need them to do. It's a fun job, but when things are going you don't sleep. You and sometimes the S4 officer will help you, then sometimes you're on your own. You will get the order, it will tell you when/how you're moving, what is being taken, how many pax, and tons of other stuff. You will develop the plan for air, sea, rail. And when you go before the group commander to explain how were moving you better be sure of what you have.

Don't be lazy, if you can fit on 3 C4's, 5 C17's do it, don't get more than what you need. Because HQ has to pay the air force for the use. And you will cram stuff into a plane that you didnt think was possible. I don't know if they changed it but they used ALPS which was nice because it had all US planes, and a lot of allied planes. Because you have to weigh everything that is going on that plane and then find the center of balance for all the vehicles. Then you have to get everything with hazmat's marked, and make sure that you don't have the wrong stuff together on the same plane. Which could spell disaster if something happened. There is a million other things they do, I should write up a post.

Now once you get thru the school at Johnson, you will goto a unit. If its a good unit and they want move quickly you will be back in more schools on the base. I hit hazmat, ship loading, aircraft loading, and rail loading(i was in Hawaii so I dont know) before I even knew who I worked with. I reported on friday and was in school on Monday.

0451 - You can volunteer for this at MCT, they only have a few slots but they will test you on the Army PT test because you have to goto school at Benning.

0481 - I was assigned to a red patch unit and had to do their operations with them but they never helped me with mine. Isn't that weird? Basically they're landing support. Be it beach head, convoy, or by helicopter. They bring everything in. I'm not up to speed on everything they did on the radio but I know how to bring in a helicopter with a humvee hanging below it.

Are you sure you're not an army recruiter? I swear, I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about. what was your MOS? Maybe you should stick to your current one instead of confusing kids.

TRLewis
10-20-09, 11:09 AM
I was an 0431. And I know that one better than my current job.

Petz
10-20-09, 11:43 AM
at what level did you work? I know it's more "sleepless" work the lower you are on the food chain.

mErKtWiSt
10-20-09, 11:54 AM
I am currently an 0431 and for this last deployment, it was alot of sleepless times getting ready to come back state side. Myself, my two Cpl's and my SSgt were all up about 18+ hours daily for about a week an a half, sucked but loads of fun and hard work. I do see alot of Marines low on the food chain work long hours but with my guys, when it comes to training events such as Steel Knight, NTC, Bridgeport etc... i am always up with them working and teaching them, but they are really knowledgable so im good with that.

Vanish34
10-20-09, 12:59 PM
just talked to my recruiter he says its easy to LAT move after a year of working at my current job??

mErKtWiSt
10-20-09, 01:21 PM
what??? i dont think thats possible, you have to wait for the end your enlistment (4 or 5 yrs depending on MOS) and if you decide to re enlist you can LAT Move.

Vanish34
10-20-09, 02:06 PM
see thats what I been reading but he suggest that all of you Marines are lying

Petz
10-21-09, 12:03 PM
see thats what I been reading but he suggest that all of you Marines are lying

What's his name, rank and phone number.

Also, you are having lots of money spent on your training, the Corps will get one contract out of you with that MOS unless you go do something that is high demand and your command is ok with letting you go. It's complicated to explain because of how everything needs to fit together or not at all.

But we're not lying to you. It's impossible to change your jobs after one year. Hell you need to wait 2 years at your first duty station before you can REQUEST a permanant change of station to somewhere else.

mErKtWiSt
10-21-09, 01:15 PM
Agreed SSgt, those two years will be your chance to REQUEST for a PCA, which is permanent change of assignment, not sure how many miles is the limit but if you are with a unit in Miramar (San Diego) you can go anywhere on Miramar or Camp Pendleton. We are not lying to you, its impossible to believe one Marine vs. alot of Marines saying the same thing. He may not be lying to you, maybe he is just misinformed or misunderstood your question.

CarolinaMarine
10-21-09, 07:07 PM

Good rundown. I agree tact is big in the 0431 and 0481 fields. When that Major or Colonel messes up and blames you for making him miss his flight, you have to give him an answer and tell him how it was his fault in the most respective manner possible. You also have to direct large groups of people, many times they all outrank you, but you run the show. Of course if that same Major is walking straight for a helo rotor you gotta have the balls to yank him up and then camly explain to him what was wrong with that situation. That can be the fun part of the job.

To add to that:

The embarkers with us work our manifest office. They develop the manifest for each flight letting us 0481's what exactly is going on each bird as far as pax (people) and cargo go. As an 0481 i will make sure all pax are accounted for, get them in order and physically walk them to the bird and make sure the load masters/crew chief take it from there. I'll also take pax from the bird and check them in with manifest. If we don't have heavy equipment support we load the cargo ourselves. Thats with an airfield operation.

Ports is basically the same, except its mostly cargo. Rail, we just load and unload trains with cargo. And beaches are hardly used anymore but our job would be to setup panel markers that direct units coming in where to go.

HST's are another operation we have. This involves hooking up external loads to helicopters hovering above. They come in, hover above it, we hook it up, and they fly off. Vice versa when they come in.

We are basically a new age Shore Party. In the fleet, as an 0481 you would be doing mostly HSTs and Airfield ops. I enjoy the job, others can't stand it and feel like they are doing what a UPS or Fedex man would do. Everyone forgets our job exists, until they need to catch a flight somewhere

FWIW, i work AT LEAST 12hr days. Many many times I will be working over that, especially as night shift.

TRLewis
10-21-09, 07:12 PM
Good rundown. I agree tact is big in the 0431 and 0481 fields. When that Major or Colonel messes up and blames you for making him miss his flight, you have to give him an answer and tell him how it was his fault in the most respective manner possible. You also have to direct large groups of people, many times they all outrank you, but you run the show. Of course if that same Major is walking straight for a helo rotor you gotta have the balls to yank him up and then camly explain to him what was wrong with that situation. That can be the fun part of the job.

To add to that:

The embarkers with us work our manifest office. They develop the manifest for each flight letting us 0481's what exactly is going on each bird as far as pax (people) and cargo go. As an 0481 i will make sure all pax are accounted for, get them in order and physically walk them to the bird and make sure the load masters/crew chief take it from there. I'll also take pax from the bird and check them in with manifest. If we don't have heavy equipment support we load the cargo ourselves. Thats with an airfield operation.

Ports is basically the same, except its mostly cargo. Rail, we just load and unload trains with cargo. And beaches are hardly used anymore but our job would be to setup panel markers that direct units coming in where to go.

HST's are another operation we have. This involves hooking up external loads to helicopters hovering above. They come in, hover above it, we hook it up, and they fly off. Vice versa when they come in.

We are basically a new age Shore Party. In the fleet, as an 0481 you would be doing mostly HSTs and Airfield ops. I enjoy the job, others can't stand it and feel like they are doing what a UPS or Fedex man would do. Everyone forgets our job exists, until they need to catch a flight somewhere

FWIW, i work AT LEAST 12hr days. Many many times I will be working over that, especially as night shift.

God bless the 81's. I couldn't have done the job without them. When I got loaned out to other units it was a nightmare and eventually got a couple 81's to go with me.

MarineNCurls
10-21-09, 08:10 PM

Had to respond to this:
I told my recruiter I wanted to be a Marine PERIOD. THEN when you've made that decision, you look at what you qualify for. I had narrowed it down to two: MP, and Legal Admin. Unfortunately, I was too young to become an MP and I also thought Legal Admin meant LEGAL admin...negative. I have been in this "desk" job for 7 years now. My job has covered every type of paperwork that takes care of a Marine. Although every job has it's perks and downfalls, every MOS in the Marine Corps is filled by a Marine that is required to maintain Marine Corps standards (i.e. physical fitness, firing at the range, attending leadership-type schools, etc.). Remember, just because you may sit behind a desk, doesn't mean you're exempt from all this, or that you're not expected to pick up a rifle when it's time to go...
As far as going to school, I've met Marines of every MOS that took college classes (even Recon Marines). It just depends on your level of determination to get out there and do it.
And after 7 years behind a desk....come run with me....I'm not lazy.

03eightybum
10-21-09, 08:33 PM
Marines don't lie cheat or steal, so he must have misspoke. I have never witnesed anyone lat move in their first four years.

mErKtWiSt
10-22-09, 10:34 AM
Marines don't lie cheat or steal, so he must have misspoke. I have never witnesed anyone lat move in their first four years.

Thats right, we bend the truth, gain advantage or aquire lol sorry had to put that in, thought it was funny.

brian0351
10-23-09, 02:14 AM
Yeah, you may be able to request a change of MOS after one year...but your unit will just laugh at you, thrash you and tell you to get back to work.

You have to remember your unit is the initial approving authority. If they don't want you to go...then you don't go. Unless your a complete f-up...those guys always get moved to the best jobs because no-one wants them! Ha!

Vanish34
10-23-09, 08:53 AM
I took the admin field. I think the title MARINE will be able to push me through some rough spots and I'm not the kind of person to slack off so ill do anthing I can to either like my job or find more work to make it go by faster.