PDA

View Full Version : Chow Halls

ColdBlooded
10-19-09, 07:30 PM
So this is my first duty station and to be honest I hae been to the Chow Hall a few times. Pizza, Greesy Hamburgers, Canned Fruits, Packaged Foods, White Rice, Ice Cream, Fatning Desserts are all part of a nutritious meal? The Marine Corps will boot you if you are overweight but they put all these foods in your platter? I go in the morning and I see a huge line waiting for omelets in which the cook splatters mass amounts of greese on the grill. I am a very athletic and train very hard but with what I get payed I spend more than half of my paycheck on food at the commissary (tuna, brown rice, raspberry sorbet (for after workouts), water, supplements, Wheat bread, chicken, cereal, milk, granola bars and healthy snacks. Is there any way to get out of having a meal card for nasty food and get into COMRATS? I save money and spend alot of money on food so I'm only left with very little for good times. I know alot of healthy foods and meals that are amazing to the taste buds so why does it have to be this way? Why be a hypocrit and boot people out for weight when you are serving them the fat in their bodies?

SGT7477
10-19-09, 08:01 PM
That's why you have to work your azz off to keep the weight off, Semper FI.

Mac3043
10-19-09, 08:38 PM
Chow has been a point of disagreement since Christ was a Corporal. Some like it some don't. Personnaly I loved it, nothing better than S.O.S. in the morning. Don't take this as an insult but if you feel that serious about the food served to our Marine Corps change your MOS to 3371 and go from there. Semper Fi!

fallfast90
10-19-09, 09:15 PM
COMRATS is a ripoff (atleast when i was in). The amount you get paid for COMRATS is not even enough to eat at the chow hall everyday. The other aspect is if you live in the barracks, you are kindof restricted as to what you can make in the rooms. Granted people have hot plates and george foremans, but still. You are better off just being selective as to what you eat. I remember during grey belt training, one of the random pieces of knowledge thrown out was that an average Marine needs 3,000 calories a day compared to the normal civilian 2,000 diet.

MontezumaCpl
10-19-09, 09:43 PM
Personnaly I loved it, nothing better than S.O.S. in the morning.

Amen Brother! -- "The Smell of Sos in the Morning reminds Me of victory!"

:marine:

:flag:

SlingerDun
10-19-09, 11:39 PM
Dude you got a chow hall with pizza AND ice cream? sweet!!!!

I was working a shoeing account at the federal penitentiary in Sheridan, Oregon. There was 3 convicts doing chores around the barn when i drove to town for lunch. I came back with a pizza hut large pepperoni and asked if they liked pizza?

You ****ing kiddin me, one said; i haven't had pizza in 8 years. They attacked what was left of it like dysfunctional wolves without a pecking order.

--->Dave

ColdBlooded
10-19-09, 11:59 PM
I do agree, when I treat myself that one time a week I will gorge on the liquids of fat and that of sugars. However, many Marines who become broke during the weekend are forced to eat at a Chow Hall that only produces what I gorge on once a week. All in all my own beliefs are that no matter what a Marine is expected to look a certain way under the order so the food served must meet those standards.

ddoki04
10-20-09, 12:56 AM
Ok i agree with the unhealthy part. It is true that the chow hall has plenty of unhealthy foods. But it also has its healty choices. Its all in the person, we cant blame the chow hall for fat marines. Its all how the marine chooses to eat and how often they pt. I go to the chow hall often but i do make the smarter choices. Salad bar is full of crisp veggies and usually has eggs or tuna for protein. And the deserts arnt bad if consumed in moderation. When it comes to the main courses in the chow hall i would say the most of them are unhealthy unless it be just plain meat. Usually things are deep fried or cooked in enough greace to fill a swimming pool.

7th Comm Bn
10-20-09, 01:30 AM
For some reason, I always found the best chow halls to be at recruit training sites or tank battalions....

The recruits because they needed the good nutritious food...The tankers because they were just so darn miserable & ornery after being cooped up in those tin cans in the heat all day, they fed them good grub just to keep them from starting a brawl in the chow hall!
:mad:

TRLewis
10-20-09, 03:42 AM
Air stations are where the good chow hall is. I went to Cherry Point once, it was great.

sparkie
10-20-09, 07:10 AM
Remember the 3 food groups? Sugar, Salt, Fat. Without at least one of those, it's not fit to eat.

Marine84
10-20-09, 07:48 AM
Free food always did taste good to me.

Skosh59
10-20-09, 11:06 AM
Amen Brother! -- "The Smell of Sos in the Morning reminds Me of victory!"

:marine:

:flag:

Ditto..... on the SOS luv it, 7 days a week

Pizza AND ice cream???? Hell when I was in division we were lucky to have bread & milk. C Rations was better than half of the crap in the mess hall.

TRLewis
10-20-09, 11:11 AM
Ditto..... on the SOS luv it, 7 days a week

Pizza AND ice cream???? Hell when I was in division we were lucky to have bread & milk. C Rations was better than half of the crap in the mess hall.

At KBay

Weekday mornings there was two sides to the chow hall, a fast food type area, I always got 2 sausage, egg, and cheese on english muffins. Then they had the trad breakfast side. Breakfast on the weekend was custom made omelets.

Lunch they had a deli side, regular lunch style(chilimac and grilled cheese ftw), and then the fast food side.

Dinner I have no clue I never went there for dinner. But if it was like breakfast and lunch it was good.

FistFu68
10-20-09, 11:22 AM
:evilgrin: The Chow Hall at 3rd.Bn."P.I." was tha' best Duck Soup everyday,Duck In tha' Front Hatch Then Duck out tha' Rear Hatch all within 8 Min's :cry: :iwo:

7th Comm Bn
10-20-09, 01:47 PM
Air stations are where the good chow hall is. I went to Cherry Point once, it was great.

I have to give you an Amen on that. When I was on "the rock" (Camp Hansen) I had a buddy I had went to boot camp and MCCES with who was stationed at Camp Zukeran right next to Kadena Air Base. He found out that Marines could go over to the Air Base and eat in their chow hall. I don't know how it worked that way, but they let us eat on our meal tickets! It was unbelievable. They had a choice of 3 different entrees on the menu! It blew me away. It was like eating in a friggin' restaurant! ...and airmen were telling us we could cut in line before them. They treated us like royalty. :p

Hell...in all the Marine mess halls I'd ever been in...they had one main dish...and if you didn't get there within the first 30 minutes or so, you got a slice of "steamed" ham! :evilgrin: :usmc:

Meserole08orah
10-20-09, 01:54 PM
bro... stop *****ing. we dont have a chow hall. id rather have a chow hall with greesey food and just go straight to the salads. because you know for sure every day you will have food. and people who cant cook are SOL for food lol they get microwaveable food and they get fatter. and the grease they use isnt like you know. its oil vegtable oil and its less fattening. plus the "pizza" and **** its like the diet foods. just eat it and stop *****ing

ameriken
10-20-09, 02:05 PM
Damn, all this talk about SOS is making me hungry. I remember getting eggs, hashbrown and sausage and have them smear a couple of scoops of SOS over it all.

The chow hall in Schwab back in '77 had the best SOS I had in the Corps. :p

echo3oscar1833
10-20-09, 03:15 PM
I always liked the chow hall, for the most part. Heck you got three squares a day. Got plenty of good food to keep you from not starving. I agree if your a fat body in the Marine Corps its your own...

sparkie
10-20-09, 03:22 PM
Chow aboard ship wern't bad either, till they ran out of things. Powdered eggs, milk, potatoes, salt water showers, and drinking water that tasted like desel.

I'll take any messhall anytime. Yum.

gwamo1
10-20-09, 03:23 PM
I was in Okinawa from 2006-2008, Kinser for a year than Foster. Kinser chow hall was AWESOME. I miss that chow hall. The one here on Qantico just does not compare.... If I could go back ot that chow hall, I would.

Zulu 36
10-20-09, 03:26 PM
Enlisted chow could be much worse, for example:

Waaay back in the "Old Corps" (OK, 1974). The Iwakuni Officer's Closed Mess (their equivalent to a chow hall back then) shut down for renovation. They sent officers to the Mainside messhall and they ate on the NCO/SNCO side (which had a common galley with the snuffy side).

The officers were astounded. They couldn't believe enlisted people ate this good (Iwakuni's Mainside Mess hall was forever getting the best overseas mess hall awards). We ate much better than they did at the Closed Mess. We had better food, bigger serving sizes, and we didn't have to pay again to go through for seconds. They were happy for us, but envious. They ate like starving prison inmates.

When the Closed Mess reopened, they all but had to drag the officers out of the Mainside Mess Hall with MPs, they didn't want to go back to crappy food. The officers even started a petition drive to be allowed to stay at Mainside (we know how well those work in the Marine Corps, but an A for effort).

My unit commander called the renovations at the Closed Mess like putting lipstick on a pig. The place looked nice, but the food still sucked. It was all cooked by Japanese contractors, whereas the enlisted chow halls were run by Marine cooks. My captain was a most dispirited person for a while. He was an LDO and I think he considered going back to being a Gunnery Sergeant.

Officers continued to sneak into the Mainside Messhall to eat for some time afterwards until the CG 1stMAW finally had to do some serious threatening. They'd swap rank insignia on utilities, get NCOs to sneak them in, forge names on the sign-in sheets, all sorts of tricks. Of course NCOs had sympathy and helped all they could.

I think when LDO Majors started showing up with Corporal's insignia that the game was up.

Zulu 36
10-20-09, 03:44 PM
Damn, all this talk about SOS is making me hungry. I remember getting eggs, hashbrown and sausage and have them smear a couple of scoops of SOS over it all.

Straight from the Leatherneck Magazine FAQ page. This is a GOOD recipe.

Leatherneck's World-Famous SOS Recipe

1 1/2 pounds extra lean hamburger or ground chuck
2 tbsp. oleo or butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 tbsp. soy sauce (or less to taste)
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
sliced bread

Brown the meat, then drain. Add oleo. Stir in the onions and cook until you can see through them. Add flour, stir and cook two to three minutes. Add garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mix thoroughly. Add milk and stir until it thickens. Serve over bread.

ameriken
10-20-09, 03:47 PM

2 tbsp. oleo or butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
sliced bread
Brown the meat, then drain. Add oleo. Stir in the onions and cook until you can see through them. Add flour, stir and cook two to three minutes. Add garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mix thoroughly. Add milk and stir until it thickens. Serve over bread.

Awesome Zulu......I'm printing this........ thanks! :beer:

ameriken
10-20-09, 03:49 PM
(Stomach growls)

ecfree
10-20-09, 03:56 PM

2 tbsp. oleo or butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
sliced bread
Try it over toast,or biscuits......:thumbup:

Zulu 36
10-20-09, 03:59 PM
Awesome Zulu......I'm printing this........ thanks! :beer:

My pleasure. SOS was always my favorite part of morning chow. Poured all over everything! I didn't care if it got on the pancakes. My daughter makes this stuff for supper sometimes and my son can't get enough of it.

BTW, you might want to experiment with the soy sauce part of that recipe. I like soy sauce, but I usually skip it in the SOS - makes things just a tad too salty I think.

ameriken
10-20-09, 04:31 PM
Poured all over everything!
No better way to eat it. I'm sitting here at work thinking about scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage, bacon, toast, all drowning in creamed beef.

Damn good heart attack food! Gonna have to cook me up a batch...

StoneTheWeak
10-20-09, 04:34 PM
Pensacola probably had some of the best chow in the entire military. Granted it was a navy chow hall, but still damn good.

SGT7477
10-20-09, 04:45 PM
If it wasn't for the chow hall alot of Marines would have starved because of the poker games,lol, the SOS was the best.

SGT7477
10-20-09, 04:48 PM
My pleasure. SOS was always my favorite part of morning chow. Poured all over everything! I didn't care if it got on the pancakes. My daughter makes this stuff for supper sometimes and my son can't get enough of it.

BTW, you might want to experiment with the soy sauce part of that recipe. I like soy sauce, but I usually skip it in the SOS - makes things just a tad too salty I think.
Zulu you sure know how to make a Marine hungry, is that an original SOS recipe from our beloved Corps?:flag:

SGT7477
10-20-09, 04:50 PM

That sure was good.:D

SGT7477
10-20-09, 04:52 PM
I have to give you an Amen on that. When I was on "the rock" (Camp Hansen) I had a buddy I had went to boot camp and MCCES with who was stationed at Camp Zukeran right next to Kadena Air Base. He found out that Marines could go over to the Air Base and eat in their chow hall. I don't know how it worked that way, but they let us eat on our meal tickets! It was unbelievable. They had a choice of 3 different entrees on the menu! It blew me away. It was like eating in a friggin' restaurant! ...and airmen were telling us we could cut in line before them. They treated us like royalty. :p

Hell...in all the Marine mess halls I'd ever been in...they had one main dish...and if you didn't get there within the first 30 minutes or so, you got a slice of "steamed" ham! :evilgrin: :usmc:
The army sure had good food on Okinawa too, alot of different choices of meat.

Auneboy
10-20-09, 05:15 PM
In my little expierance I have found that 29 palms has a decent chow hall, better than where ive been at least....

Havent had chili mac in awhile though :(

ecfree
10-20-09, 05:36 PM
[quote=Zulu 36;559485] SOS was always my favorite part of morning chow. Poured all over everything! I didn't care if it got on the pancakes.
Hey Chris,I don't think it would taste that great on pizza....:beer:
ED....

TRLewis
10-20-09, 05:49 PM
I think when LDO Majors started showing up with Corporal's insignia that the game was up.

:thumbup:

Skosh59
10-20-09, 05:51 PM
Most of time I would get two pancakes, topped with SOS, top that with two eggs over easy; then smash it all together. The toast used to scrape up the leftover gravy & egg. I can't wait until tomorrow morning....:p

Zulu 36
10-20-09, 06:04 PM
Zulu you sure know how to make a Marine hungry, is that an original SOS recipe from our beloved Corps?:flag:

I don't know how original it is, but it is the recommended recipe from Leatherneck Magazine, for what it's worth.

I like it and my kids like it. Even my ex likes it.

God, I've got to get a life. Here I am discussing chow halls and SOS recipes with Marines while watching YouTube videos of Royal Marines Bands.

Come to think of it, that is a pretty good life after all. :thumbup:

SGT7477
10-20-09, 06:07 PM
I don't know how original it is, but it is the recommended recipe from Leatherneck Magazine, for what it's worth.

I like it and my kids like it. Even my ex likes it.

God, I've got to get a life. Here I am discussing chow halls and SOS recipes with Marines while watching YouTube videos of Royal Marines Bands.

Come to think of it, that is a pretty good life after all. :thumbup:
Thanks Brother, Semper FI.:flag:

Wyoming
10-20-09, 06:08 PM
There are several SOS recipes in Maria's 'share a recipe' thread.

BUT, this one will be tried Saturday morning.

Thanks Chris.

Skosh59
10-20-09, 06:47 PM
It won't taste right unless you add some sweat & cigarette ashes. :D

Zulu 36
10-20-09, 07:20 PM
It won't taste right unless you add some sweat & cigarette ashes. :D

That's only for the "in the field" meals out of the insulated meat cans.

Do they even issue mess kits any more?

SgtHMH
10-20-09, 08:13 PM
I was a Grunt & Winger all the Chow Halls were the same, all the cooks went to the same MOS school and got the same food from the same supply so how could it taste any differant from one part of the Camp or base to the next Chow Hall. It all tasted the same to me and it was pretty good at times. Chip Beef, over hash browns, and over easy eggs that was some good chit in the morning, and those big ribs, and other. Except for field chow and sand in the powdered eggs LOLOLOL stop complaining.

Semper Fi :marine::p:sick:

ColdBlooded
10-20-09, 08:20 PM
Not really complaining over here, just wondering if there's any way possible to get COMRATS other than giving your life away through marriage so that I can do my own home cooking with my George Foreman and portable stove-top.

kfisbusy
10-20-09, 08:38 PM
:evilgrin:Hell back when I was in I was a Drill Instructor and I ate what the recruits ate. We had to stay in shape in order to keep up with the recruits. they were given a meal to help them get the bal. diet they needed to get threw the day. your body does need suger, protine,&fat at amount to do the work you are expeted to do.Now I am just a out of shape Marine. SSGT. Francisco.:flag::iwo:.

ColdBlooded
10-20-09, 09:23 PM
:evilgrin:Hell back when I was in I was a Drill Instructor and I ate what the recruits ate. We had to stay in shape in order to keep up with the recruits. they were given a meal to help them get the bal. diet they needed to get threw the day. your body does need suger, protine,&fat at amount to do the work you are expeted to do.Now I am just a out of shape Marine. SSGT. Francisco.:flag::iwo:.

Totally true, if we all trained as much as we did in Boot Camp and MCT I would know every corner in the Chow Hall. However, at Garrison environments where we mostly sit behind a desk all day typing and PT only being 3 days a week at most units, the foods should be a little different. 03's go for it... Feast all day, you deserve it or any other MOS that is physicaly active most of the day.

Roger Shepherd
10-20-09, 10:15 PM
The Air stations has the good food most of the time . I was station at Cherry Point for 3.2 years. It was a fun place to be.

kfisbusy
10-20-09, 10:47 PM
:evilgrin:I agree with you all insome ways. But if you are in the Corps still you have to stay in good health by eating right. Rember we are still at war with the dum asses in iraq & afganistan. Keep up the good work MARINES I know you all will keep our good name & tradition up and whip the FU*K out of them. SSGT. Francisco P.S. EAT RIGHT :flag: :iwo:.

ameriken
10-20-09, 11:17 PM

That recipe was calling me and I couldnt wait any longer....we had all the ingredients at home except the beef. Went to the store, got the lb and a half, and whipped it up tonite.

Damned good! This weekend when I have more time I'm gonna scramble up some eggs and drown them in SOS. :thumbup:

hussaf
10-20-09, 11:26 PM
I think this is a topic worth revisiting as the new Marine Corps standards for BC have come out. One is now judged on how they look, as well as their weight and PFT/CFT performance. I think providing healthy meals is the least they could do. But that will not happen until someone figures out a way to prepare and produce cheap/healthy food in mass quantities (the food they serve is of lower quality and unhealthy because its cheaper to buy and prepare). It isn't much of an issue for the younger Marines as their metabolism is usually amazing, but guys in the mid-twenties and up really do need to eat crappy food selectively. I recently got over "fixing" myself after having issues with changing my diet when I turned 26. I could always run a mid-high first class PFT (lowest ever is a 248, and that was at an indoor track where we had to do 20 some laps a mile) and my weight was always under the limit, but I still needed to get rid of body fat. I can't imagine doing that while eating chow hall food (and granted, most older guys are off base anyway and eating at home, but not all).

Besides, I ate at a chow hall on Mainside a few months ago (I don't have a mealcard or anything, just wanted to relive some nostalgia) and it was absolutely terrible, taste-wise. When did that happen? Much worse than chow halls in-country (when I had the occasion to visit them), and much worse than I ever remember any chow hall being.

Marine1955
10-20-09, 11:31 PM
OH chit My fav. was Quantico Va,.,, O.M.G. egg omelets every week end and fresh milk and coffee too. well at least fresh egg everyday was great Damn I miss Quantico Va. they had the very BEST chow at any base, Better than any base I was at. Hands down!!
They had eggs,hash browns and sausage or Bacon and toast, coffee or milk you couldn't beat it there..O.M.G. I wish i was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bunny:

Donut Brigade
10-21-09, 12:14 AM
Yuma has a pretty good chow hall, we have an awesome salad bar, I wish their garlic bread and pasta bar were both whole wheat. Best chow hall I've been to must have been MCAS Pendleton.

SgtHMH
10-21-09, 12:19 AM
As I said before, All Cooks go to the same MOS cook school and supply sends all the same food to all the chow halls. It is all the same chow all over, do you think they get it from differant places ? lolololol think about this real hard for a minute.

:nerd::idea::scared:

Donut Brigade
10-21-09, 12:26 AM
Not so, chow halls DO differ. They can either serve up the same boot camp pasta product every 3 days life the Miramar chow hall or make onion sauteed steaks and corn bread like the one in Pendleton.

Quinbo
10-21-09, 12:32 AM
Stateside chowhall budgets are based entirely on the number of personnel they feed. Marines who eat at burger king twice a week really cause the demise of the quality of food served at the chow hall. More people eating at the chow hall means more dollars in the coffers to purchase better more quality foods and have a better menu. Sure they all go to the same school and basically feed you the same chow. Get near the end of the month and a battalion of grunts marches in to a chow hall that is accustomed to feeding 20 people per meal you are likely to get PB&J. Then until the next delivery all there is to serve is beans and brussel sprouts. They do the best they can and are pretty innovative but if jarheads are living off pizza hut and mcdonalds then all the sudden clean the place out, the chow hall is not to blame for the concoctions they come up with to stretch till the end of the month.

StoneTheWeak
10-21-09, 01:30 AM
Yuma has a pretty good chow hall, we have an awesome salad bar, I wish their garlic bread and pasta bar were both whole wheat. Best chow hall I've been to must have been MCAS Pendleton.

No **** huh? That's where I'm going :D

Supersquishy
10-21-09, 05:27 AM
As I said before, All Cooks go to the same MOS cook school and supply sends all the same food to all the chow halls. It is all the same chow all over, do you think they get it from differant places ? lolololol think about this real hard for a minute.

:nerd::idea::scared:

Naw, When I was in Tustin just before they closed down, that was one of the best chow halls around, they served Manicotti and spaghetti that was awesome, never to be seen in any other chow hall. I think the best over all chow hall was Kadena, I Mean "Dinning Facilities" as the Air Force reminded us. LOL

Garyius
10-21-09, 03:51 PM
When I was on Okinawa the chow hall at Futenma had Japanese career cooks and Marines. Mostly the Japs made the sit down food, and the Marine cooks made the omlettes and puke bags and handled the supplies of food. They still used Marines drafted in on mess duty to wash the dishes and clean up (late 80s). The food was okay, better than in 29 Palms.

It was different era then, when the Os weren't playing 'screw the Island nonrates' as hard as it looks like they are now, and I quickly bought a car along with a friend. We always ate dinner, and a lot of breakfasts, at Kadena where the food was really good--American restaurant quality.

I got to Cherry Point and the food quality went way down hill, to what Cold is describing. I got sent out to Yuma a lot on my way to Niland, and the food there was better.

I stopped by Edson Range a few times in the early 90s, and their chow was really good but was served by recruits and I felt bad for them which spoiled the meals.

I think a lot of it then was how much the head cook cared. Few did. From what I read now, a lot of chow halls in the states are run by contract, so I guess there it matters if the contract officer wants to do his job or let the company run wild and expect a no show job after retirement.

MD8724
10-21-09, 04:16 PM
Totally true, if we all trained as much as we did in Boot Camp and MCT I would know every corner in the Chow Hall. However, at Garrison environments where we mostly sit behind a desk all day typing and PT only being 3 days a week at most units, the foods should be a little different. 03's go for it... Feast all day, you deserve it or any other MOS that is physicaly active most of the day.

I was on Oki for two years. 0651. I sat behind a desk all day, just like you said. I worked indoors, with an AC just chillin. PT was 3 days a week. Wasn't always consistent, and sometimes, I just didn't feel like doing anything crazy, so it would be a really really easy, short PT session.

Pretty dull huh.

Then I would get off work, and spend 2 hours at the gym lifting, and every now and then go run. I was on comrats, and the hours we worked ddn't allow us to use the chow hall much at all. We nomally settled for Taco Bell.

Now I'll admit that I have come close to being over my max weight a few times, but this is because of the protien shakes and **** I would be taking. I still had a low BF% and looked nowhere near fat, even after taking the protien shakes AND the Taco Bell.

I promise you that the CH food is alot healthier than the **** I was eating. It's not the fod that will make you end up being fat. It's your lifestyle. Stop playing Halo and go workout, and I promise, you'll be good.

josephd
10-21-09, 05:19 PM
I would give anything to go back and eat as good as I did at MCRD-SD chow hall. Massive amounts of cottage cheese, fruit, and peanut butter!

From my experience most chow halls serve some pretty nasty stuff but its meant to increase your caloric intake for energy throughout the day. Only reason to be really concerned is if your not PTing properly

rdubya
10-22-09, 11:56 AM
Camp Al Qaim has the the best damn chow hall in the Marine Corps! Shame the last time I ate there was back in March of 2006.

Marmaduke
10-23-09, 03:25 PM
Best chow hall: NAS Pensacola. Worst chow hall: MCAS Miramar

echo3oscar1833
10-23-09, 04:42 PM
Best Chowhall was C&E Bn Chow Hall in the Stumps. Worst was the one on the USS Portland. Don't ever eat the Chicken Cordon Blue on ship. It was the most disgusting thing ever.:cool:

Quinbo
10-23-09, 04:54 PM
Never forget when the belleau wood dropped us off in Oki. We had been eating rice and peanut butter and jelly for the last week on ship. That's all we've got sorry. The next day there was a blurb on AFN about the belleau wood returning to home port (yakuska) and showed all the squids eating steak and lobster and crab legs then having a steel beach party. Bastards!

kentmitchell
10-23-09, 06:32 PM
Omelets? You gotta be sh*tting me!
You want to complain, try green dehydrated eggs, 2 strips of soggy bacon, little rocks called potatoes and wet toast. That's what we had every day on Okinawa back in the '50s. . . oh and did I mention powdered milk?
Coldblooded, what kind of outfit are you in? We ran off every calory, every day.
Man up. As one wise gunny once said, "You don't need to practice hardship, you get used to it quick."

silverdollar
10-24-09, 07:40 AM
I can`t believe that chow halls now give Marines choices.:marine:

Skosh59
10-24-09, 09:15 AM
I can`t believe that chow halls now give Marines choices.:marine:

I remember that we had a choice; chow at the mess hall, wait for the roach coach to come by, go to the club, or starve.

Once in the mess hall, your choice was ususally, only one meat, maybe two veggies, kool aide & some kind of desert. Bread & milk when available.

Breakfast was the only really good meal. (It hard to screw up sos)

Wyoming
10-24-09, 09:54 AM
I remember that we had a choice; chow at the mess hall, wait for the roach coach to come by, go to the club, or starve.

Once in the mess hall, your choice was ususally, only one meat, maybe two veggies, kool aide & some kind of desert. Bread & milk when available.

Breakfast was the only really good meal. (It hard to screw up sos)

Except for the 'roach coach', that is how I remember it at LTA.

But to be honest, the chowhall wasn't all that bad. Coming from a big family, living in the country, with meatloaf on Wednesday and fried chicken on Sunday, the Marine Corps served some pretty good chow.

Supersquishy
10-24-09, 10:13 AM
Except for the 'roach coach', that is how I remember it at LTA.

But to be honest, the chowhall wasn't all that bad. Coming from a big family, living in the country, with meatloaf on Wednesday and fried chicken on Sunday, the Marine Corps served some pretty good chow.

HAHA, the Roach Coach in Tustin gave me the squirts soo bad one day I thought I was going to die. Stuck to the chow hall after that. The worst chow was in the field at Camp Wilson, now that was hidious. Tomatoes in rice, with a slice of bread, mmmmmmm.

kentmitchell
10-24-09, 10:46 AM
From what I'm reading, maybe it's true to some extent--at least in the chow hall--that today's Marines are candy as*es. Many a time overseas we preferred C-rations to what they served in the chow hall.
Only time we ate well was at Middle Camp Fuji. Bakery was right next door to Weapons 2/9. We had fresh bread ALL the time.