PDA

View Full Version : Career Marine?

hxcbandit7
10-19-09, 05:01 PM
Hey Marines,
quick question, since i decided to join the Marines i was hoping that if, no when i make it that i would stay in for as long as possible, i was wondering what the limit of service time is? I have heard 20ish years, but i have also seen older Marines before, might have to be an officer. Also once a Marine is retired do you still refer to them by their rank? or does it become Mr. or Mrs.

Thanks Marines.

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-19-09, 05:15 PM
You can serve as long as you are needed and can pass all of the yearly qualifications.

20 years is retirement, but if you are needed and are able to continue, then you can stay in for longer until you are forced out or retire. Maybe 30 years.

You obviously can't serve forever or into your golden years.

And once retired you call them whatever is appropriate. For example, if I knew a person was retired from the military and I knew them, I would address them by their rank. If you are not military then you should call them Mr or whatever floats your boat. And you also have to use common sense of when to call them by rank and when not to.

Quinbo
10-19-09, 05:16 PM
If you continue to move up through the ranks you can stay in for 30 years enlisted and longer than 30 officer. You been watching a lot of military movies or what?

Quinbo
10-19-09, 05:18 PM
You can serve as long as you are needed and can pass all of the yearly qualifications.

20 years is retirement, but if you are needed and are able to continue, then you can stay in for longer until you are forced out or retire. Maybe 30 years.

You obviously can't serve forever or into your golden years.

And once retired you call them whatever is appropriate. For example, if I knew a person was retired from the military and I knew them, I would address them by their rank. If you are not military then you should call them Mr or whatever floats your boat. And you also have to use common sense of when to call them by rank and when not to.

That is bum scoop fighton ... google is your friend.

hxcbandit7
10-19-09, 06:41 PM
Ha, Yeah that and i watch a lot of CNN and Military channel

scifguard
10-19-09, 08:56 PM
I know that for enlisted after you do your thirty years congress has to approve your reenlistment.

0331 2 0369
10-20-09, 07:31 AM
The length of your time in depends solely on you and your abilities to progress through the ranks.

Short story..... I used to work for a Col. several years ago. He was the 2nd MarDiv G-3. He served in Vietnam and was given a battlefield commission when he was a 1stSgt. He had roughly 18 - 20 years in at the time. He continued his service as an officer and reached the rank of full Col. When he retired, he had (if I'm not mistaken) 43 years in.

It was funny at the time that he was the Div G-3, his brother-in-law was the Div CG. The General was a Company Commander in Nam and the Col was his 1stSgt. When they returned to the states, they ended up marrying each others sister's. They argued like brothers but they made sh1t happen.

Petz
10-20-09, 07:37 AM
oh, not to allow gunny's statement to muddy up the explanation. Officers have an "indefinite" contract which means they can stay in for ever if they so choose and are allowed to. However pay caps out at 30.

0331 2 0369
10-20-09, 07:44 AM
oh, not to allow gunny's statement to muddy up the explanation. Officers have an "indefinite" contract which means they can stay in for ever if they so choose and are allowed to. However pay caps out at 30.

True. Wasn't trying to muddy the waters. That is just an example of someone taking control of their career and staying in longer than the average Marine.

hxcbandit7
10-20-09, 09:41 AM
They stop getting paid after 30 years? Or they just don't get pay increases after 30 years?

Petz
10-20-09, 09:52 AM
they only get the normal pay increases for cost of living allowance authorized by congress every year.

and I have to say that you're borderline retarded to think they stop getting paid after 30 years. I said their pay caps out. not stops.

Quinbo
10-20-09, 10:53 AM
Unless I'm mistaken tenure pay raises cap out at 26 years and retirement pay hits max benefits at 30.

A little reading for ya http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Henderson

Petz
10-20-09, 10:56 AM
I thought they had different rates at some point.... HMMMMMM. mayhap it's for the commandant or other special duty assignments at the General officer grade. I do stand/sit corrected. Thanks Bulk.