PDA

View Full Version : Can I change my ship date? Please help

Vanish34
10-19-09, 09:21 AM
Well I feel like I am ****** I had the job I wanted and I swore in July 1, 2009 and got a ship date of March 8, 2010. Everything was going good then two months after I swore in they called me and told me I can't do the job I signed up for. Im looking for new jobs but my recrutier is saying everything is filled up which I can see, there is a lot of people joining. I feel like my recrutier is not doing anything to help out so Im hoping this can give me some insight into what I can do. I hoping if I can find a new job, that I actually want, even if it changes my shipdate. Can this happen? Can I get a job that I want to do and change my shipdate?

TRLewis
10-19-09, 09:29 AM
First question to ask, did you get a contract with your job? If no lets move on to finding you a job.

Your recruiter will not want to change the ship date, just due to the fact that he will have to find another guy to go sometime between now and march.

Can you ship earlier? I know when I went in(of course the economy was booming) everything was open. If you ship earlier you may get a better job, or ship later. Have you asked?

Vanish34
10-19-09, 09:45 AM
Im pretty sure I signed a contract for the job. Ship earlier Im not sure. I don't think I am in shape to pass the PFT. I been asking my recruiter to look into getting me military police in a later ship date but it seems like he is trying to avoid looking into it. So I just picked up a few books to retake the ASVAB.

TRLewis
10-19-09, 09:58 AM
How old are you? Not able to pass the PFT? Fing kids these days not able to pass a PFT. One time I was in school so much I didnt have time to do PT, got back to my unit after 3 months and I still was first class on my PFT.

Sure you want to be an MP? So many better jobs where you won't be disliked.

Aircraft mechanic for example. It's a good job and if for some weird reason the stripper you hook up with convinces you to get out you can work on planes.

Vanish34
10-19-09, 10:16 AM
Im 20 and just picked up doing cardio like a month before I signed my life away. I am currently relaxing some shin splints. Everyone keeps saying they disliked but whatever there cops of course people hate them. Aircraft mechanic? hmm no sounds boring. But back to my original question can I change my ship date if I find a job I want? More so is my recruiter lying to me if he tells me I cant change my ship date and gives me jobs that I dont want?

MYKL
10-19-09, 10:17 AM
How old are you? Not able to pass the PFT? Fing kids these days not able to pass a PFT. One time I was in school so much I didnt have time to do PT, got back to my unit after 3 months and I still was first class on my PFT.

Sure you want to be an MP? So many better jobs where you won't be disliked.

Aircraft mechanic for example. It's a good job and if for some weird reason the stripper you hook up with convinces you to get out you can work on planes.

Mps are liked..just not like Rocks that make ignorant statements like you..

sparkie
10-19-09, 10:34 AM
Mps are liked..just not like Rocks that make ignorant statements like you..

This thread ain't for that,,, take it to the PMs. :evilgrin:

polizei
10-19-09, 10:39 AM
If you can't pass a PFT now, you might have a hard time being an MP. I ran 5-6 miles 3-4 times a week in MP school, and we did 3 PFT's. If you're thinking about trying to become an MP, you might want to start working on your PT. Whatever you decide, just make SURE you look into it and figure out as much as you can before you do it.

Vanish34
10-19-09, 10:45 AM
If you can't pass a PFT now, you might have a hard time being an MP. I ran 5-6 miles 3-4 times a week in MP school, and we did 3 PFT's. If you're thinking about trying to become an MP, you might want to start working on your PT. Whatever you decide, just make SURE you look into it and figure out as much as you can before you do it.

In my current condition yea I probably cant pass the PFT. Im resting my shins till December hoping and praying for my splints to go away. If they do, I feel like I can run and finish that PFT if not ill push my body as hard as I can till I do pass. It just sucks cause I know my shin splints are the only thing holding me back.

polizei
10-19-09, 11:02 AM
Well, since you aren't a Marine, yes I would rest your splints. However, I'll just let you know...almost everyone in my platoon had splints, and we still ran the same amount, didn't matter. Yes, running that long and that much on splints sucks. Don't worry, you'll learn to push your body and mind, and you'll know your limits by the time you finish boot camp. I never thought I could do everything I did. My buddy humped the 9-miles back from the Crucible on a broken ankle. It's amazing what your body can handle.

Vanish34
10-19-09, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the story if your buddy can push through that and with what your telling me starting December ill do everything I can to push my body to the limits.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

But back to my original question can I change my ship date if I find a job I want? More so is my recruiter lying to me if he tells me I cant change my ship date and gives me jobs that I dont want?

TRLewis
10-19-09, 11:13 AM
Well if you're dead set on being an MP, for whatever reason, this is what I would do. Go see your recruiter at his office. And tell them you aren't going if you can't be an MP, he may try to intimidate you, then you will get passed up to the officer or snco there. Stay your ground, MP or I don't go. Date I go doesn't matter, I want to be an MP. And I will except nothing less.

It will be scary, but the truth is if you're in DEP and you don't go nothing happens to you. You may even be able to try again at a later date but then you ship within two weeks.

Bring in the original contract you signed, you do still have it right?

Vanish34
10-19-09, 11:18 AM
I think thats all I needed to hear cause I feel like I wanna explode on them and tell them off its just that I dont know if what they saying is true or not. But if it is possible for them to change my ship date to the job I want ill make dam sure they dont ignore me.

THANKS MARINE(ARMY-TRLEWIS) - I dont know what to say

TRLewis
10-19-09, 11:20 AM
Technically you can be in DEP until June 30th 2010. I don't see the problem.

And you can just call me Marine, that's all they called me in the Army.

Vanish34
10-19-09, 11:31 AM
Dam that brings up another question. What if the job or jobs I want are not open before that date June 30th?

TRLewis
10-19-09, 11:33 AM
Hopefully something will come up

Vanish34
10-19-09, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all your help marine

Lisa 23
10-19-09, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all your help marine
When using the word MARINE, it will be capitalized at all times...it's in the site rules in the poolee forum.

Vanish34
10-19-09, 12:17 PM
you know thats what I was thinking about I didnt just think about just that word I wanted to make everything caps. But ill know for next time

THANKS MARINE

MarineNCurls
10-21-09, 09:21 PM
I agree with TRLewis... if you're hell-bent on becoming an MP, then stand your ground with your recruiter. The thing is, we (the Marine Corps) can't always promise a job, we promise you'll get a shot at the title "Marine."
There are a number of jobs that each Recruiting Station is assigned for a certain period in the the year. THEN there is a limit of how many can be shipped each month. Sometimes the guy that walks into a recruiting station demanding everything, is the guy we Don't want in the Corps.
Like TRLewis said, go in and ask for MP, BUT be prepared to ship when they ask you to. A poolee that can't pass a PFT, is NOT someone they want to hook-up.