PDA

View Full Version : operation enduring freedom

P00LEE
10-18-09, 09:37 PM
hello, i apologize if this is a stupid question but after searching the web for hours with nothing to show for it i figured i may as well ask here. The recruiters have given me conflicting answers at my RSS so here it goes. Does anyone have any knowledge on when the US is going to start pulling troops out of afghanistan and trying to bring the current war to an end? I just dont want this to be over before i have a chance to go

Lisa 23
10-18-09, 09:44 PM
You're more worried about if the war is going to end sometime soon just because YOU might not have a change to be deployed there than going to boot camp on 8 November, 2009......unbelievable. Sounds pretty selfish to me.
Don't worry about it, when the war ends, it ends....whether you're involved in it or not. Worry more about getting though 12 weeks of boot camp, SOI/MCT training, and your MOS school.

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-18-09, 09:50 PM
God forbid you never make it to Afghanistan. I guess your life would not be complete then.

Sounds to me like you are chasing glory, or what you may think is glory instead of doing what is right. Either way does it matter? Please don't tell me you will only serve if Afghanistan is still ongoing.

No one here knows what not even Washington DC knows.

Lisa 23
10-18-09, 09:56 PM
Exactly Cpl. For all we know, the world could end tomorrow.
What is it with everyone wanting to go to war and seeing action, that that's all they want?
Poolee, IF you make it through boot camp, and no war is going on, is it going to make you feel any less of being a Marine and serving your country because you didn't go to war? I would hope not. I served my year and a half during peace time...and I don't feel any less of a Marine.
You're serving your country...whether it's peacetime or war.

Zulu 36
10-18-09, 10:01 PM
hello, i apologize if this is a stupid question but after searching the web for hours with nothing to show for it i figured i may as well ask here. The recruiters have given me conflicting answers at my RSS so here it goes. Does anyone have any knowledge on when the US is going to start pulling troops out of afghanistan and trying to bring the current war to an end? I just dont want this to be over before i have a chance to go

Go see the elephant. You won't be so excited about seeing it again if you live through the first time.

I went in just as the Corps pulled the last combat units out of Vietnam (except for advisors and an ANGLICO Det). Guess what happened to me after I was in Japan for a few months? Easter Offensive 1972. Look it up. The elephant got it's chance to bite me on the azz after all.

As LASWMarine said: Wars end when wars end. Marine privates have no say in those matters.

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-18-09, 10:07 PM
I think many young people today think that by serving in a combat zone or during a time of war, that this somehow will mean their lives will be fulfilled.

It's as if some people see this as the "cool" thing to do these days. It's sad but true; many people only serve for their own selfish reasons such as, to have others look at them as if they are special.

I would hate to be there when reality sets in and they see this isn't what they thought it was gonna be like.