PDA

View Full Version : GIs Land In Liberian Capital

Sgt Sostand
08-14-03, 12:24 PM
MONROVIA, Liberia - U.S. military helicopters landed scores of American troops at Liberia's main airport Thursday, significantly bolstering American involvement in the warring country.

Nine helicopters flying in formation settled on the tarmac, as two more hovered overhead.

Scores of American troops jumped out wearing flak vests and helmets and armed with rifles.

The United States on Tuesday had promised a 150-member "quick reaction" force for Liberia, in support of a steadily building West African-led force here.

Another 50 new arrivals are expected to help with the logistics of getting aid flowing again to Liberia's cut-off capital.

"This operation today is going to be an important one," said U.S. Ambassador John Blaney, who traveled to the airport to greet the new arrivals. "You are going to see American boots on the ground, and a firm commitment to uphold humanitarian concerns in this country."

The United States previously had only about a dozen American soldiers on the ground, serving as liaisons with the West African peace force.

The stepped-up deployment comes after Liberian President Charles Taylor, a former warlord blamed for 14 years of conflict here, resigned Monday and left the country as demanded by West African leaders, President Bush, and rebels laying siege to the nation's capital.

The United States, which oversaw Liberia's 19th century founding by freed American slaves, had been urged by the United Nations, European and African countries and Liberians themselves to take a major role in international intervention here.

"I am so happy. All these years we've been praying for America to come," said Randolph Eggley, a 51-year-old worker at the airport. "Today maybe peace will begin."

U.S. Lt. Col. Tom Collins said almost all of the 200 additional American troops promised would be arriving Thursday.

Liberia's rebels followed Taylor's departure with an agreement to pull out of the war-divided capital by noon Thursday, ending two months of sieges.

The withdrawal would open access to the rebel-held port, allowing food and aid to flow again to residents and rebels on the cut-off and famished government-held side of the capital.

Rebels have demanded that enough peacekeepers be on hand for the turnover to prevent government forces from taking over the port again.

Super Dave
08-14-03, 01:38 PM
I have taken issueand straightned out with MANY "cake eating civilians" that refered that i was a GI!!

Sgt Sostand
08-14-03, 01:51 PM
Yes Marines are Marines not GIs dont call me nothing but a Marine

Devildogg4ever
08-15-03, 04:22 AM
Ya got that right!