PDA

View Full Version : Future Marine

agrinham
10-15-09, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, first off id like to give a thank you for your service.

My name is Andrew, I am 17, a senior in High School and im seriously considering the Marine Corps. Ive been talking with a local recruiter seriously for about a month on and off, and he has laid down some options. What i really want to do right now its join the reserves and my recruiter said an intel MOS opened up today and asked if I wanted to reserve it. I said I would have to talk to my parents. I would like to join the reserves so i am able to go to college and expireience what every kid wants, just to have fun.

When I discuss this with my father he naturally just wants to know all the facts and we actually sat down today with a recruiter. He showed my dad all the up and down sides of the Marines and all the plans. When I tried to discuss it with my mother she is dead set against it. She started to get all teary eyes, and told me I was believing a lie.

I really want to join the USMC and be apart of this elite brother hood.

Can you guys throw in some suggestions or comments about the reserves, or how to win my mother over into giving me her blessing.

echo3oscar1833
10-15-09, 10:57 PM
Hey guys, first off id like to give a thank you for your service.

My name is Andrew, I am 17, a senior in High School and im seriously considering the Marine Corps. Ive been talking with a local recruiter seriously for about a month on and off, and he has laid down some options. What i really want to do right now its join the reserves and my recruiter said an intel MOS opened up today and asked if I wanted to reserve it. I said I would have to talk to my parents. I would like to join the reserves so i am able to go to college and expireience what every kid wants, just to have fun.

When I discuss this with my father he naturally just wants to know all the facts and we actually sat down today with a recruiter. He showed my dad all the up and down sides of the Marines and all the plans. When I tried to discuss it with my mother she is dead set against it. She started to get all teary eyes, and told me I was believing a lie.

I really want to join the USMC and be apart of this elite brother hood.

Can you guys throw in some suggestions or comments about the reserves, or how to win my mother over into giving me her blessing.

Well the reserves are part time, one weekend a month, two weeks a year. That is after you finish your initial training. That would include Boot Camp, MCT or SOI. If you are any other MOS then after MCT, you would follow on with your MOS Training. After all of that you will be assigned to your Reserve unit. As far as winning your Mom, over well that will never truly happen. She is your Mom, and she cares about you, she dosn't want anything to happen to you. Which is understandable, but if this is what you want to do, then your going to have to do it. I know Marines that have been in 10+ years and there Moms still worry about them. Its the nature of the beast kid. Hope the info helps.:D

Btw you posted this in the wrong area, this should be in the Ask A Marine area, now you know for next time. :D

hussaf
10-15-09, 11:18 PM
Beware of the Reserves though...it can be tricky balancing civilian and military lifestyles. Having done both, I would have initially done four years, then probably gotten into Reserves or IMA (don't worry about IMA right now) because I transitioned to an MOS that really works well in the reserves.

It's good to hear of a young man wanting to join the Corps. Just remember, its probably going to be waay different than anything you imagine. My two best friends were a grade ahead of me in HS and told me endless stories about bootcamp and the Fleet. Still, much of it was not what I thought it would be.

It's certainly not a bad life though...even if you go 4 and out, or go career. You can get retirement after 20 years, you would be 37..which is super young to be pulling in retirement. Good luck with your decision.

Lisa 23
10-15-09, 11:21 PM
Like echo said.....this thread is in the wrong forum, it belongs in the Ask A Marine forum, not in Open Squad Bay, which is for Marines only!

agrinham
10-16-09, 06:46 AM
Thanks Marines,

Ill foward this post to the ask a marine section. Sorry for posting it in the wrong area.