PDA

View Full Version : When your stationed...

miller521
10-15-09, 08:45 PM
When you get stationed how do they decide where to station you? Also how long are you usually stationed at a base? Thanks Marines

polizei
10-15-09, 08:55 PM
In a nutshell...

You get stationed wherever the Corps needs you, however there is a "wish list." This list lets you choose East Coast, West Coast, or Overseas. That's usually it...you don't get to say "I want to go here." IIRC (I'm Reserve) the typical tour is 3 years, however some duty stations are 2 years. And those are regular bases. I believe things are different for select MOS', such as HMX, MSG, etc.

I'm sure another Marine with more knowledge will chime in.

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-15-09, 09:07 PM
For some MOS's if while at your schooling you finish on top, then you can pick where you want to get sent. This only applies to some MOS's.

You go where the USMC needs you at that time. Many Marines believe you get to pick your place of duty. This happens because you do fill out a "wish list" and some Marines will get their choice, but not because they chose it. You get it because that is where you were going to go to regardless. It's not like there are that many choices in the USMC anyways.

Our class was just told if your last name begins with A, B, C, D, E, you go to Hawaii, if it starts with F, G, H, J, K, L, you go to Japan and so on.

As far as I know Hawaii is a three year duty station. A four year contract Marine will spend his entire time in Hawaii because of costs issues to relocate you with only a few months remaining on your contract.

GSEMarine94
10-16-09, 10:22 AM
On my wish list I asked for West coast, I got East coast.

miller521
10-16-09, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all your replies, your answers have been very helpful... Thanks Marines...

Quinbo
10-16-09, 02:13 PM
As an incentive on my first re-enlistment I was able to pick by name what duty station I wanted to go to next. The first duty station I went to was luck of the draw. There is some MOS monitor somewhere that decides how many brand new Marines he needs in any given location. From there graduating classes from any MOS school are sorted out for the required numbers to go to BFE or where ever to fill out the table.

Zulu 36
10-16-09, 08:04 PM
Sometimes I think they just have a big Wheel of Fortune at HQMC that they spin. Where it stops, no body knows!!!:evilgrin:

Fubar5812
10-17-09, 05:21 AM
As far as I know Hawaii is a three year duty station. A four year contract Marine will spend his entire time in Hawaii because of costs issues to relocate you with only a few months remaining on your contract.

depends on the unit and the monitor...

as far as MP's here your orders say that you will do 36 months but most guys PSC at there 2 year mark after speaking with a monitor, but MP is a 5 year contract so that might be why.

Phantom Blooper
10-17-09, 06:49 AM
A dart board.:evilgrin:

TRLewis
10-19-09, 09:35 AM
When I was at Johnson, they never assigned me a duty station. So I told one of the Sergeants in the class, "Sergeant just go ahead and draw up the orders to send me to Hawaii."

Sergeant said, "I got a friend there, have fun in Hawaii."

Off to Hawaii I went.