PDA

View Full Version : Shipping soon, need some advice

hxcbandit7
10-15-09, 12:40 PM
I leave for MCRD San Diego in 10 days, i have been completely excited ( and of course nervous ) to go. I'm worried about the PFT however, i can pass my IST run in 11:05-11:27, but i have never run the three miles, it didn't start bothering me till a buddy of mine just got dropped from boot camp for not being able to run the three miles on the PFT, i've gotten many different tips, but all seem to contradict themselves, many people have told me that i just have to want it bad enough, which if that's the case i'm not worried about it, but always after i run the IST i feel like that's my limit, like i'll puke or pass out. Whenever i tell people that they tell me "well don't go if you are not physically ready" which is a contradiction to me wanting it bad enough. I know i over think it, but i don't want to fail this is what i have wanted for a long time. My recruiters tell me that i'll be ready for the PFT by the time i have to take it, that boot camp will get me ready for T-22 when i take the first PFT.

Any suggestions?

sorry for the long post

firedog974
10-15-09, 12:50 PM
My suggestion is get your mind right. The "what if I fail" attitude doesn't help anything. Be positive, and work your arse off until you get to boot camp. If you work hard before you arrive, have a positive mental attitude, and NEVER quit of give up, you will be fine. In order for that to happen, you have got to get your mind right and start pushing yourself. My attitude upon arrival to boot camp was either A) death or B) graduation. I made a promise to myself before I got on the bus that I would NEVER quit, and I would give everything 110%. Your body is perfectly capable of running 3 miles, your mind (which, no offense, is weak right now)is what is stopping you.

RYDERKUR
10-15-09, 12:53 PM
In all honesty, I would think you'd be fine. I mean, you pretty much have to have something broken in your leg/knee/ankles to not be able to run 3 miles in 28 minutes or be a complete fata$$. If you can pass the IST then I would say you'll be where you need to be by the time the PFT comes. What's holding you back, go out and run it now and see how you do. You have to pace yourself, but at the same time challenge yourself and push yourself, if that makes sense.

RYDERKUR
10-15-09, 12:58 PM
Sgt. Hardin is absolutely correct in that regard also. That aspect is often overlooked. Your mind quits on you long before your body will. This doesn't pertain to the PFT so much as boot camp or when things get stupid in SOI and the Fleet, is it's all a "game". I would always repeat that in my head over and over while things were bad and it was advice I received before I went to boot camp. At the end of the day its done and over with and you learn something from it. You'll know exactly what I mean when it happens to you.

hxcbandit7
10-15-09, 12:59 PM
Thanks much, that really puts it in perspective for me

Failuredrill
10-15-09, 06:11 PM
I was a chainsmoking sum***** when I went to boot, was lazy beforehand and relied on my previous 'athleticism' to carry me through. I hadn't ran 3 miles in probably 2 years or so before I went. It really is surprisingly easy to do even if you aren't that fit, running is mainly a mind game. The main thing is to relax, get in a rhythm with your breathing, roll your shoulders back and have your chest out a little bit. This will help you to to expend the least amount of energy as possible and to stay calm and focused. I can't stress it enough, too many people run with terrible form, all tensed up and wasting energy. Relax everything possible from your ****holster to your go fasters, one tip is to slightly hold your booger fingers and your thumbs in a circle (like the ok sign) and relax the rest of your digits along with your arms. Do not keep your hands in fists and pump your arms while running, they will swing naturally. For example we had this one kid who looked like a complete poofter* when he ran but he smoked the 3 mile everytime under 18 mins.

*Aussie word for you know what

Lisa 23
10-15-09, 06:48 PM
You'll be fine, don't sweat the small stuff. Just take boot camp one day at a time. Your Drill Instructors are there to make you a Marine and they don't want you to fail, even though at times you think that they do. If a Recruit does fail, (that is if it's something beyond their control like getting seriously hurt that they can't continue on with Recruit training), it's because he/she realizes that being a Marine is not what they wanted and they just can't handle the training anymore. They will do anything to get themselves dismissed from Recruit training.
If being a Marine is trulely what you want, then you will get yourself through boot camp, no matter how hard or tough it gets. Always stay positive, focused, and strong, both mentally and physically, and always give 110% of yourself. And always pay attention to your Drill Instructors! :evilgrin:
Best of luck to you!

commdog7
10-15-09, 07:05 PM
Why not run 3 miles before you go, get a feel of it. I think your problem is not with the distance, it is with the pace. Instead of running fast and wearing yourself out, why not slow down- you'll find that it is much easier to run longer distances if you run at a consistently slow pace (you'll be surprised how fast your run time will be). Speed has never been my friend either. In boot camp, most of the recruits would pass me during the start of a run, yet I'd come in first because I paced myself. Slow down your run and develop a breathing pattern, you'll be fine.

Even if you do fail the PFT, it's not the end of the world. They will recycle you and you can try again.

teuffelhunden
10-15-09, 07:08 PM
hey just relax and get ready mentally. Right now you are psyching yourself out. Just keep busting your ass now and when you arrive at MCRD. Put it in your head that nothing or nobody including yourself will stop you from being a Marine you will give yourself the best chance to succeed. Also remember your Drill Instructors want you to succeed and will help you any way they can as long as you are motivated and busting your ass. trust me just stop psyching yourself out and you should be fine.

hxcbandit7
10-15-09, 07:32 PM
Thanks everyone, you've really helped me out more then you probably realize, i took your advice and went and ran 2.5 miles which isn't three but it's more than i've ever run and i only stopped because i had to get back in time to pick up my mother, and all i had to do was make myself do it, half a mile more would have been no problem, i've been worrying about nothing.
Thank you Marines.

SGT7477
10-15-09, 07:45 PM
Just put your heart into it, No Fear.