PDA

View Full Version : What will benefit me more?

GPJ
10-14-09, 04:54 PM
Hello Marines,

My last post was about the career field of military police. Speaking with the recruiter, he has told me no spots are open for it as of right now. He told me there was one for Security Forces. I've never thought about that field before and was wondering if you Marines can enlighten me on this.

The question I have is, which MOS will benefit me more if I'm looking towards a career in law enforcement, private military contracters etc. later on down the road if I do reach the title of United States Marine?

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-14-09, 05:11 PM
Any job you do in the military will benefit you as a civilian. Being an MP as an example, will not guarantee you getting a civilian law enforcement job. You get military preferential points when you apply. MOS's do not matter.

If a former cook and MP applied for the same law enforcement job, the job would go to the one who presents himself in a better fashion during the hiring process and not to the one who was an MP. In the end it is your character and job seeking skills that land you any job.

Either of those jobs will do you good in what you seek. Just research what exactly SF is and does, because you may not want to do that.

Fubar5812
10-14-09, 05:29 PM
some departments in the civilian world prefer MP's because they have prior law enforcement experience,,but others prefer infantry or non MP jobs because they don't have any "bad habits" and can be molded and trained the way the department operates. it really depends...

GPJ
10-14-09, 06:17 PM
Thank you for the respones Marines USCFIGHTONUSC and Fubar5812. I will look more into what Security Forces do.

Also, if any of you Marines have knowledge on private security contractors, I've looked at requierments and job listings for postions on Triple Canopy, DynCorp, and US TRAINING (Blackwater), and they all say prior military special operations needed. Is that just really all hype, because I've heard plenty of people get hired for security work and not ever have been in a spec ops type MOS?

Lisa 23
10-14-09, 06:24 PM
I can understand you're looking out for your future after life in the Marine Corps, but the purpose of the Ask A Marine forum is to allow those who are aspiring to join the U.S. Marine Corps the chance to ask questions regarading "this career choice."
The civilain world, you're on you own.
Worry about getting thru boot camp, SOI/MCT training and your MOS schooling first.

SGT7477
10-14-09, 07:21 PM
Hello Marines,

My last post was about the career field of military police. Speaking with the recruiter, he has told me no spots are open for it as of right now. He told me there was one for Security Forces. I've never thought about that field before and was wondering if you Marines can enlighten me on this.

The question I have is, which MOS will benefit me more if I'm looking towards a career in law enforcement, private military contracters etc. later on down the road if I do reach the title of United States Marine?
Just make it as a Marine, that title goes a long way.:flag:

Zulu 36
10-14-09, 08:25 PM
some departments in the civilian world prefer MP's because they have prior law enforcement experience,,but others prefer infantry or non MP jobs because they don't have any "bad habits" and can be molded and trained the way the department operates. it really depends...

The "bad habits" nonsense is generally just that, nonsense. If you are an MP, you will not be trained to be a civilian police officer. You will still have to attend a police academy using approved curriculum for your state. Most of your "bad habits" will go away at the academy. You can forget the UCMJ totally. You can forget USMC forms totally.

I saw more bad habits come from police officers hired laterally from other civilian agencies than those from military police. It sometimes took a long time to break those habits.

However, I always viewed a former military policeman as having at least a better grasp on what the job was really about and having fewer "I'll be saving the world" dreams. I also found former military policemen were much better team players. No surprise there.

GPJ
10-14-09, 11:18 PM
Thankyou for the replies LASWMARINE and SGT7477, disregard for me going off topic, your are right and will do!

firedog974
10-15-09, 11:51 AM
Hello Marines,

It depends alot on your state (where you are planning on becoming a LEO). Here in Fl if you are a former MP you are not required to go through the traditional law enforcement academy, which is typically 6 months long. Instead, you go through only high liability areas and your academy is about a month and a half. Security forces also help you in law enforcement depending on what your ultimate goal is. If you plan on going SWAT one day, security forces training is great. Either way, the title MARINE caries a lot of weight in the law enforcement community, and helps you getting hired. It helped me out a ton! :thumbup: