PDA

View Full Version : Awards, need help!

Summitwhite6
10-14-09, 03:02 PM
I was on recaid for 6 months from 15dec08 to 20may09. During that time I recruiting 14 ppl who DEP'd in (totally legit, no bull**** pencil whiping). I was told if you got 5 people to join you get a NAM and after 10 you get a COMM. Is this true, and if so how do I go about finding the MARADMIN for it. Also, I was told the unit I was with got the NUC, and I rate it how do I find that too?

Thanks for the help.:beer:

S/F
echo 4 papa:evilgrin:

marine3043
10-14-09, 04:26 PM
are you not a e4? you should know how to look maradmin and the like,, maybe contact the command,, im just saying

Summitwhite6
10-14-09, 06:08 PM
Actually I just picked up. Im in the reserve they havent really taught us how to do so. And as for contacting the admin shop.... right they don't care about anyone but themselves. So any help would be nice. thanks

Quinbo
10-14-09, 06:27 PM
Whom ever it was that told you these tales needs to write up a recommendation for the award and then it must be reviewed by your command. Outstanding job on bringing others into the fold but I think you were sold a bottle snake oil.

You can look on MOL to see if you rate the MUC. Best of luck.

Summitwhite6
10-14-09, 06:35 PM
Whom ever it was that told you these tales needs to write up a recommendation for the award and then it must be reviewed by your command. Outstanding job on bringing others into the fold but I think you were sold a bottle snake oil.

You can look on MOL to see if you rate the MUC. Best of luck.

Thanks Sgt. Does the SNCOIC write up the recommendation? Or does it have to be higher?

Quinbo
10-14-09, 06:42 PM
The recruiting SNCO can write you up for an award and then run it through his officers.

Summitwhite6
10-14-09, 06:43 PM
Roger, thanks again Sgt. S/F

commdog7
10-14-09, 07:07 PM
Look up the MarAdmin on usmc.mil to see if you rate the NUC.

As for the NAM, I've never heard of such a thing. You might get a meritorious mast for recruiting 'x' amount of people, but not a NAM. The NAM is still one of the prestigious awards, it's not one of those they hand out like candy. Recruiting a few people on recruiter's assistance does not qualify for the award, if you want it, you really have to go above and beyond. If a NAM was that easy to get, I'd have a bunch of them by now.

commdog7
10-14-09, 07:19 PM
I looked it up for you. MarAdmin 514/09 (newest awards message):

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0514-09.aspx

If you were on recruiters assistance from Oct '06 through Sept '07, you would rate a NUC. But based on the time frame you listed, you do not rate it... yet. You may have to wait a year or two to see if HQMC offers a unit award for your time frame.

ritter
10-14-09, 07:31 PM
While I was working as a recruiters assistant about a month ago the SNCOIC stated that the Marine Corps is no longer handing out NAMs for recruiters or anyone working for the recruiters due to the system being taken advantage of. As far as I know you only get points towards your next promotion; nonetheless, good luck on getting your NAM.

Petz
10-14-09, 08:46 PM
well, it may not be handed out like candy that doesn't mean he can't have it submitted. If he was doing this number in a short period of time it's possible he can get some kind of award. submit a NAM and see what it gets. could get downgraded to a circom.

commdog7
10-15-09, 06:03 AM
On recruiter's assistance, it is your job to help recruit people. Recruiting 5 people on RA does not qualify for a NAM in my book, especially during a time where many want to join due to the economy.

Maybe if I open 'x' amount of doors, answer 'x' amount of phones, and hand out 'x' amount of keys while standing post on MSG, maybe they'll give me a NAM. But sh!t don't work that way, NAM's are not handed out for doing your job, they are only awarded for doing something extraordinary. If they are handing out NAM's to Marines on RA who help recruit 5 people during a rough economy, then NAM's no longer have value in my opinion.

0331 2 0369
10-15-09, 06:24 AM
Figured I would throw my 2 cents in this one. As for a NAM for being on Recruiters Assistance and getting all those people to join....... take your right hand and reach over your shoulder. Now pat yourself on the back. Thats about what you can expect. Not saying that in a bad way but I have never heard of anyone getting a NAM for referring x amount of people. I would still go back to the RS and talk to them. Maybe they can write you up for something. Thats better than nothing when it comes time for meritorious promotions.

As for the NAM being handed out like candy...... I have to disagree. I have seen way to many times that someone who get the NAM for doing their job. All because their SNCO or OIC took the time to write up the recommendation. HeII, my first NAM was handed to me for doing my job when I left a command. The other two I earned by busting my hump. Some people do abuse the system when it comes to awards. Look at the Chair Force. They gave out several Bronze Stars to people that stayed states side during the war preping the birds that flew round trip bombing missions. That award (medal) lost a lot of credibility because of that. I think it was a slap in the face to those that earned it while fighting in combat.

echo3oscar1833
10-15-09, 06:46 AM
Go here, this is the site I went to, and the mailing address I used to get my MUC. Once you verify that you are entitled to the NUC, you will have to write a letter to the MMMA Branch Marine Corps HQ. Make sure you submit supporting evidence that you where apart of the Unit when the award was authorized. Once it has been approved by MMMA, they will send you a letter, and a few weeks later you will get an updated DD-214 with DD-215 update from MMSB. You will have to accept the sites security certificates to view the page. Hope this helps with your NUC. SF:beer:

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,1936571&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Which brings me to a question does anyone know how many DD-215's are authorized before you get a new DD-214. Ive got two DD-215's at the moment. One for my NDSM, GWOTSM, Rifle Marksman Badge, and the other for my MUC.

echo3oscar1833
10-15-09, 06:57 AM
Figured I would throw my 2 cents in this one. As for a NAM for being on Recruiters Assistance and getting all those people to join....... take your right hand and reach over your shoulder. Now pat yourself on the back. Thats about what you can expect. Not saying that in a bad way but I have never heard of anyone getting a NAM for referring x amount of people. I would still go back to the RS and talk to them. Maybe they can write you up for something. Thats better than nothing when it comes time for meritorious promotions.

As for the NAM being handed out like candy...... I have to disagree. I have seen way to many times that someone who get the NAM for doing their job. All because their SNCO or OIC took the time to write up the recommendation. HeII, my first NAM was handed to me for doing my job when I left a command. The other two I earned by busting my hump. Some people do abuse the system when it comes to awards. Look at the Chair Force. They gave out several Bronze Stars to people that stayed states side during the war preping the birds that flew round trip bombing missions. That award (medal) lost a lot of credibility because of that. I think it was a slap in the face to those that earned it while fighting in combat.

Wow they gave out Bronze Stars to, state side Airmen. I heard that once before, but just thought it was a rumor. I agree Gunny I think that does cheapen the award.:scared:

0331 2 0369
10-15-09, 07:06 AM
There was a big stink over it for a little while. One of my friends (fellow Gunny) in 3/6 got the Bronze Star while we were in Iraq. He definitely earned it but when they pinned it on, he just took it off and put it in his pocket. He mentioned that he was just doing his job like the flyboys were doing in the states. He more than deserved the award but to him it didn't mean as much as it did to the guys from previous wars/conflicts.

echo3oscar1833
10-15-09, 07:12 AM
There was a big stink over it for a little while. One of my friends (fellow Gunny) in 3/6 got the Bronze Star while we were in Iraq. He definitely earned it but when they pinned it on, he just took it off and put it in his pocket. He mentioned that he was just doing his job like the flyboys were doing in the states. He more than deserved the award but to him it didn't mean as much as it did to the guys from previous wars/conflicts.

That sucks, yeah that would be rather insulting to get the Bronze Star overseas, when you know guys in the Airforce are getting them on a flight line in CONUS. Just goes to show the Marine Corps still does it the right way.:D

0331 2 0369
10-15-09, 07:15 AM
That sucks, yeah that would be rather insulting to get the Bronze Star overseas, when you know guys in the Airforce are getting them on a flight line in CONUS. Just goes to show the Marine Corps still does it the right way.:D

Maybe not the best way but we do still have higher standards than the rest.:beer:

echo3oscar1833
10-15-09, 07:16 AM
Maybe not the best way but we do still have higher standards than the rest.:beer:

Semper:beer::D

Wyoming
10-15-09, 08:31 AM
The credibility remains with the Star when a 'V' for Valor is included. <br />
<br />
Had a stateside Gunny sporting a Star. No 'V'. He couldn't look a lot of us square in the eye. <br />
<br />
I forget what he was in...

Petz
10-15-09, 10:35 PM
look, CommDog, if you write up your award properly (get the stats together) and make it look like you saved the planet from overloaded phone boards and kept fresh air in the building by opening doors constantly that increase productivity and inproved everyones morale by greeting them first thing in the morning with a smile, you could get an award for that.

it's really all in how you put the statistics together. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

hussaf
10-15-09, 11:03 PM
look, CommDog, if you write up your award properly (get the stats together) and make it look like you saved the planet from overloaded phone boards and kept fresh air in the building by opening doors constantly that increase productivity and inproved everyones morale by greeting them first thing in the morning with a smile, you could get an award for that.

it's really all in how you put the statistics together. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

LOL, so true so true. People wonder why officers get so many medals...it's because they write themselves up. If you leave it up to others, medals/awards are totally and completely not on a set standard..regardless of what messages come out stating otherwise. I know a group of guys who got NAMs for building a Gazebo outside of MWSS-272's HQ on New River and a guy who got the same award for saving someone's life by conducting life saving techniques after a helicopter 'incident' in Afghanistan. Oh, and a Lt who got a Bronze Star for filling a Maj. billet for 12 months in Iraq (Bronze Star is the officers COM) [he was a good Lt though].

SF
Adam

hussaf
10-15-09, 11:10 PM
...Bronze Star is the equivalent to a NAM or NAVCOM...depending. As, I think, BigAl said, its all about the "V"

commdog7
10-16-09, 12:37 AM

If you ain't part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. I agree that there are flaws in the awards system: many get awards that they don't deserve while others don't get awards that they do deserve. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to take advantage of a broken system. I'm just one NCO, but I try to get it back on track the best I can.

There are Marines who work their asses off in Iraq/Afghanistan who do not get a NAM. There are Marines like me who have spent the last 4 Christmas's overseas in some of the roughest countries who don't get a NAM for their hard work. Yet we have some boot Pvt's and PFC's who never spent a day in the fleet thinking they deserve a chunk of metal on their uniform for recruiting 5 people while on recruiter's assistance. I'm not going to tell them to submit for a NAM because the system is broke- no, they don't deserve it, give it to the Marines who do deserve it. If I was a 1stSgt and some boot expected a NAM for recruiting 5 people, I would call him/her into my office and laugh at them for 20 minutes. I would embarrass the sh!t out of them.

I don't rate a NAM for opening doors and answering phones, I wouldn't accept the award if they offered it to me. I would only accept a NAM if I felt I deserved it, if I had really done something extraordinary and that's how it should be.

Sometimes it is prouder not to have a NAM than it is to have one.

Quinbo
10-16-09, 01:15 AM
I didn't know until recently that the bronze star is a commendation medal and without the V is just higher level pat on the back. I know a Army officer that got a bronze star for sharpening 100 pencils without wasting any lead. Euphamism but even he thinks it downgraded all the lower medals by awarding him one for just doing what the Army hired him to do. Really makes a NAM look really small in comparison.

http://www.geocities.com/nhbludog/bulkyker1/scan0014.jpg

Petz
10-17-09, 08:02 AM
so you got a NAM for leading Marines through training....

CommDog, I understand what you're saying. I didn't expect the kid to rate a NAM past his NCOIC before it'd get downgraded but I was speaking in terms that applied to YOU.

I think that if you do something that you can word properly that you should submit for an award to be recognized for it. If you put in for a Navy Com (read the requirements!) it might be downgraded. Seriously, only leaders who have lots of free time on their hands ever think about writing their troops up for awards.

the only reason I was put in for a NAM and subsequently downgraded to CirCom was because our Bn CO said to put those they feel rate awards in for it before we left Iraq.

It wouldn't have happened had it not been an order.

Quinbo
10-17-09, 08:17 PM
so you got a NAM for leading Marines through training....

I guess I never looked at it that way but I suppose that is a correct assesment. Remember though, at least in my case, the award contains a paragraphical summery of the actual two page write up that went with it.

Petz
10-17-09, 10:10 PM
yeah, but the summary should have the bullet points of the write up in it. This just says you did you job within standards. It's basically a slap in the face of all the other NCOs who did their job but not to "Marine Corps" Standards according to your NAM. I'm not saying you didn't go above and beyond, just that they don't know how to write awards.

Quinbo
10-18-09, 12:15 AM
Not sure why I let your comment bother me but they did. Slap in the face ha ha

Here is the full write up:

http://www.geocities.com/nhbludog/bulkyker1/Nam1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/nhbludog/bulkyker1/Nam2.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/nhbludog/bulkyker1/Nam3.JPG

Phantom Blooper
10-18-09, 12:24 AM
Bothered me too!:beer:

Nice write up!

:evilgrin:

Quinbo
10-18-09, 01:41 AM
I'm currently writing up Petz for a NAM. I haven't finished yet but started it with + 5,000 posts on LN and knows how to change oil. I'll try to dress it up but that is what I have so far.

SlingerDun
10-18-09, 01:48 AM
hehe

SlingerDun
10-18-09, 05:40 PM
hey um if you got enough ink left over could you write me up for the GCM? i swear i've changed my ways

SGT7477
10-18-09, 08:31 PM
Very true Gunny.:flag:

echo3oscar1833
10-18-09, 11:02 PM
I'm currently writing up Petz for a NAM. I haven't finished yet but started it with + 5,000 posts on LN and knows how to change oil. I'll try to dress it up but that is what I have so far.

You should post it here, i gotta see that, Sry Petz, your my buddy, and all but that is funny haha :D

Petz
10-19-09, 10:51 PM
I'm not butt hurt. I never doubted Bulk at all. Just made a point that the guy who summarized it didn't convey it well enough for those standing in formation for his NAM. It's almost a slap in the face until you see the write up. "Sgt Quinn seemed to be the only Marine who did his job properly..." That's all I'd have heard out of the 1st Sgt/ Sgt Maj's mouth. So my only point happens to be about the idiot who summarized it.

so, now that I know what gets your all wound up I think I'm going to keep my ear to the ground for the next opportunity!

and yes, I'd like to see this NAM write-up.

Quinbo
10-19-09, 11:06 PM
See page 2 of this thread. I posted it.

Petz
10-20-09, 07:24 AM
oh, I read that(very impressive). I meant the one you're writing up for me! :D

Quinbo
10-21-09, 10:13 PM
Just a parody

SSgt Petzold should be awarded the Navy Commendation medal for the following:
Successfully backed a LVS into a blimp hanger without hitting anything on multiple occasions. Has actually lead a horse to water once and made it drink. Leaps tall buildings in a single bound. Can walk on water. When Chuck Norris goes to bed he checks the closet to make sure SSgt Petzold isn't in there. SSgt Petzold often checks the oil temperature on tanks with his bare hands. He knows how to moonwalk and relays that on to the troops. SSgt Petzold once stopped a speeding train with just a stare. SSgt Petzold can see through walls. Although SSgt Petzold only carries a pillow in his pack he encourages his troops to bring along enough gear for him also on all humps. I wouldn't trade SSgt Petzold for a case of beer and a can of copenhagen. He is that good.

Respectfully submitted,

commdog7
10-21-09, 10:26 PM
When Chuck Norris goes to bed he checks the closet to make sure SSgt Petzold isn't in there.

LMAO! :D

echo3oscar1833
10-21-09, 10:37 PM
Just a parody

SSgt Petzold should be awarded the Navy Commendation medal for the following:
Successfully backed a LVS into a blimp hanger without hitting anything on multiple occasions. Has actually lead a horse to water once and made it drink. Leaps tall buildings in a single bound. Can walk on water. When Chuck Norris goes to bed he checks the closet to make sure SSgt Petzold isn't in there. SSgt Petzold often checks the oil temperature on tanks with his bare hands. He knows how to moonwalk and relays that on to the troops. SSgt Petzold once stopped a speeding train with just a stare. SSgt Petzold can see through walls. Although SSgt Petzold only carries a pillow in his pack he encourages his troops to bring along enough gear for him also on all humps. I wouldn't trade SSgt Petzold for a case of beer and a can of copenhagen. He is that good.

Respectfully submitted,

Hahaha funny as hell :D:yes:. Waited two days for that to be posted.. Best thing I've read all week. SF:D

SlingerDun
10-22-09, 12:01 AM
okay but i aint buying the line about Norrishttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

unless, SSGT Petzold is a cross trained in Ninja:scared:

Sgt Leprechaun
10-22-09, 03:29 AM
That was pretty funny.

Closing this one down as not much more should be added!