PDA

View Full Version : i have a problem

rodriguez35
10-13-09, 07:31 PM
Do i need my social security card when arriving to Parris Island?
my recruiter being what he is, jus told me i needed it. a month earlier though i had went with another recruiter to the social security office and applied for one. he put so that it would be delivered to the recruiting station. apparently it never got there and im supposed to b shipping this Sunday

Lisa 23
10-13-09, 08:02 PM
YES!

SGT7477
10-13-09, 08:43 PM
Yes you do.

0161HardCharger
10-13-09, 08:46 PM
nothing constructive to add but that sucks

Phantom Blooper
10-13-09, 08:49 PM
Call 1-800-772-1213 ASAP ask to speak to a representative and ask where your replacement card is at.

I don't understand why it is to go to the recruiters office...that is a controlled item that should go to you only and could potentially get mixed up in the shuffle of third party mail.:evilgrin:

rodriguez35
10-14-09, 07:20 AM
Call 1-800-772-1213 ASAP ask to speak to a representative and ask where your replacement card is at.

I don't understand why it is to go to the recruiters office...that is a controlled item that should go to you only and could potentially get mixed up in the shuffle of third party mail.:evilgrin:
will do right now.

Melancon
10-14-09, 08:08 AM
Worse case scenario, your ship date will be pushed back a week or 2 until you get your SS card.

Wyoming
10-14-09, 09:22 AM
Worse case scenario, your ship date will be pushed back a week or 2 until you get your SS card.

Worst case scenario is that this shows no responsibilty on your part and you DO NOT ship.

Melancon
10-14-09, 09:31 AM
Worst case scenario is that this shows no responsibilty on your part and you DO NOT ship.
And not meet the quota? That won't happen.

Wyoming
10-14-09, 09:36 AM
Quota?

There are 10 standing at the door waiting.

http://libertyworks.com/recruiting-quotas-exceeded-the-military-is-not-broken-or-strained/

Melancon
10-14-09, 10:04 AM
Quota?

There are 10 standing at the door waiting.

http://libertyworks.com/recruiting-quotas-exceeded-the-military-is-not-broken-or-strained/
"In addition, the Army, Navy and Marine Corps have met or exceeded cumulative retention goals for the Federal fiscal year that ends September 30."

Those numbers are from last year. We are in fiscal year 10 now. Plus, you also have to take into consideration that the recruiter still has a "Monthly Mission" to meet and you can bet he will do everything he can to ensure this poolee ships.

Also, theres no reason to try and scare him by saying he will be rejected because he wasn't "responsible". Isn't that one of the reasons recruits go through boot camp?

Lisa 23
10-14-09, 10:40 AM
Responsiblity is learned at home as you grow up!
I don't see how anyone is scaring anyone here. The young man doesn't have HIS SS card for whatever reasons, and it's HIS responsibility to get a new one, NOT his Recruiters. The young man, being 19 years old, should be taking responsibility for his own actions and belongings, not someone else.
I went thru boot camp to become a Marine, not for responsibility. I already knew that. Yes, your Drill Instructors will teach you more about being responsible for all of your personal belongings and your own actions.
To me, being a Marine is about Honor, Courage and Commitment and belonging to one of the world's finest! You also learn Dignity, Pride and Discipline, along with Marine Corps History, Values and Tradition.
Like I said....responsibliity is learned at home as you grow up!

Melancon
10-14-09, 10:53 AM
Responsibility is learned in the Corps. If it wasn't then Privates would be held responsible for the same things as SNCO's. Would you expect a Private to be more responsible than a Gunny? I'm sure the Gunny has grown more responsible than the Private right?

Recruits are held accountable for their actions. When you are punished harshly for something you tend not to make that mistake again, thus developing more responsibility. So if you think most Marines come into the Corps as responsible adults, you would be wrong.

Lisa 23
10-14-09, 11:09 AM
When you were growing up, did your parents give you responsibilties around the house....say.... walking the dog, if you have one, cleaning your room, doing dishes, taking the trash out, doing your homework when you came home from school, and so on? That's learning responsiblity growing up.
Yes, Drill Instructors teach you more about responsibilty as you train to become a Marine as you rise thru the ranks, but it's not the main reason why anyone becomes a Marine, nor is it the only reason. In my opinion, if that's the only reason why someone wants to become a Marine, then the Marine Corps would be sh!t out of luck.
Everyone is held accountable and responsible for their own actions, whether you're a Marine or not.

Lisa 23
10-14-09, 11:27 AM
Until he gets to boot camp and learns more responsibility about being a Marine and the responsiblities that come with rank, the young man is still a civilian, and he's responsible for getting HIS own SS card, NOT his Recruiter.

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-14-09, 12:42 PM
Can someone explain since when do you need your SSN card to go to boot camp? Thanks.

GSEMarine94
10-14-09, 01:12 PM
Can someone explain since when do you need your SSN card to go to boot camp? Thanks.

I had to bring mine in 94.

Supersquishy
10-14-09, 01:18 PM

I beleive they check your drivers license and SS card against your process papers during indoc in the "Big Red Room". I was sooooo tired I really don't remember much though. All I know is it took forever to go through everyones paperwork without falling asleep.

Lisa 23
10-14-09, 01:18 PM
Identification purposes.
My nephew, who graduated from Parris Island on Aug 28th, needed to have a photo ID and his SS card when he went to boot camp. I even remember bringing that to boot camp, and that was in 1988.

Wyoming
10-14-09, 01:25 PM
I did not have to provide one.

BTW, the SS card is not to be used for identification. (Look it up.)

Supersquishy
10-14-09, 01:30 PM

They used to make you write in your SSN on every form at indoc and throughout MOS schools including MCT/SOI, etc. It has been changed to just the last 4 digits now because of identity theft. So Yes they required it.

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-14-09, 01:31 PM

I didn't have to take my ssn card either. I had to get one to enlist, but I have never heard of it being required to take to boot camp.

And you are very correct. The ssn card is never to be used as an identification card.

This is why I was asking. I wanted to know if it is mandatory, or do some recruiters just make you take it with you.

Lisa 23
10-14-09, 01:37 PM
Do i need my social security card when arriving to Parris Island?
my recruiter being what he is, jus told me i needed it. a month earlier though i had went with another recruiter to the social security office and applied for one. he put so that it would be delivered to the recruiting station. apparently it never got there and im supposed to b shipping this Sunday
I see from your thread in the Poolee forum that your shipdate got moved back to Oct 26th because you don't have your SS card.
Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not getting on your case about this, but this is an important document and you should've been checking the status on it by calling or going to the SS office and asking where it was when you realized that you haven't received it in the time they told you.
Take it as a leason learned...and for future reference, things of this importance, have it sent to your house!
If I were you, I'd get in contact with the SS office and see when they sent out the first one, if they sent it. Let them know you never got it to where is was supposed to be sent.

rodriguez35
10-14-09, 04:18 PM
I see from your thread in the Poolee forum that your shipdate got moved back to Oct 26th because you don't have your SS card.
Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not getting on your case about this, but this is an important document and you should've been checking the status on it by calling or going to the SS office and asking where it was when you realized that you haven't received it in the time they told you.
Take it as a leason learned...and for future reference, things of this importance, have it sent to your house!
If I were you, I'd get in contact with the SS office and see when they sent out the first one, if they sent it. Let them know you never got it to where is was supposed to be sent.

yes it has been moved back. and this situation added to the list of experience i would much rather not go through again so it is embedded into my brain to jus rely on my self and not my recruiter. my recruiter told me he would pick it up and that it would go to the recruiting station. i figured that since he didnt call me saying i had documents missing, that it was filed and that i would receive it before shipping. Also im not joining the Corps to learn responsibility, i joined for self respect, recognition of not being a total failure and making my life productive. i joined to make a difference. to be important. i so badly want to become a Marine