PDA

View Full Version : A Few Reserve Questions

Flaco
10-13-09, 02:03 PM
Hi Marines,

I have just a few questions about joining the reserves that I couldn't manage to find answers to:

Is there a reserves bonus for fy 2010? I found the maradmin for fy2009 (http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN549-08.aspx) however not for fy 2010, does the lack of a maradmin mean there is no bonus or has it just not been put out yet?

it'd be nice to pay off some college loans...

Do reservists accumulate leave when they are on active duty? (Boot Camp/MOS School/Deployments) If so are reservists just paid for the leave? like active duty selling it back?

I'm hoping to join an infantry or recon unit, I've found units here in california, however I'd like to move to texas after my initial training, will I be allowed to join a unit in texas even though I live in california or would I just have to transfer to a unit in texas after I check into my unit?

I'd like to volunteer for deployment with another unit if mine isn't deploying, would I train with that unit prior to deploying?

Thanks Marines

josephd
10-13-09, 03:20 PM
Hi Marines,

I have just a few questions about joining the reserves that I couldn't manage to find answers to:

Is there a reserves bonus for fy 2010? I found the maradmin for fy2009 (http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN549-08.aspx) however not for fy 2010, does the lack of a maradmin mean there is no bonus or has it just not been put out yet?

it'd be nice to pay off some college loans...

Do reservists accumulate leave when they are on active duty? (Boot Camp/MOS School/Deployments) If so are reservists just paid for the leave? like active duty selling it back?

I'm hoping to join an infantry or recon unit, I've found units here in california, however I'd like to move to texas after my initial training, will I be allowed to join a unit in texas even though I live in california or would I just have to transfer to a unit in texas after I check into my unit?

I'd like to volunteer for deployment with another unit if mine isn't deploying, would I train with that unit prior to deploying?

Thanks Marines

Your MOS is based on whatever unit you get contracted to/are closest to. You really don't get a choice. Yes you can transfer units but it has to be approved by the CO of the unit your leaving.

You can volunteer for deployments all the time, there is always provisional rifle and security platoons going out and you can always use your chain of command to get out on anything else that may be available elsewhere.

And no reservist do not accumulate or get leave, your on leave all the time.

stein07
10-13-09, 04:35 PM
Yes, reservists do accumulate leave when they are on active duty. "On active duty" is the key part of that statement. The leave you accumulate during boot, MCT, and MOS school will be used to cover the 10 days of leave you take after boot.

Alisium
10-13-09, 04:46 PM
Your MOS is based on whatever unit you get contracted to/are closest to. You really don't get a choice. Yes you can transfer units but it has to be approved by the CO of the unit your leaving.

You can volunteer for deployments all the time, there is always provisional rifle and security platoons going out and you can always use your chain of command to get out on anything else that may be available elsewhere.

And no reservist do not accumulate or get leave, your on leave all the time.

You can choose your unit and therefore job. You don't have to take the one down the street, so to speak.