PDA

View Full Version : tattoo waver??

mrchaput
10-13-09, 12:15 PM
hello im trying to get in but the last time i went the recruter told me no. i have a tatto on the back of my neck its a sagittarious symbol. a collar will cover about 3 quarters of it. im just curious how this waver works or how i get one before i go back to the recruter.

Lisa 23
10-13-09, 12:22 PM
Fill out all of your profile so the Marines here know who they are talking to, read the rules in the Poolee forum.....and use the search bar. Tattoo waivers have been talked about before.
Oh yes, and waver is spelled "waiver."

mrchaput
10-13-09, 12:44 PM
sorry about that thank you for telling me where to look

BR34
10-13-09, 01:37 PM
You can't get in with a tattoo on your neck. I had one on the side of my neck, had to get it removed to join the Marine Corps, and STILL had to get a waiver for what USED to be a tattoo there.

Get it removed or don't join the Marine Corps. There's your options.

mrchaput
10-13-09, 01:53 PM
thank you for the insightfull response. theres just one issue with removal. i cant afford it. no money. any one know any self removal techniques. but as well when my brother was in boot he saw sargents with full sleeves. i have no option i have to join got a baby coming and i cant even support myself

NoRemorse
10-13-09, 01:57 PM
Sergeants with full sleeves were grandfathered in under the old regs. If you can't afford tattoo removal and have a baby on the way then you've got other issues to deal with.

You're going to be financially hurt for a long time if you're planning on enlisting, there's only so much you can do with base pay and the eventual BAH you'd get for your dependents depending on where you're stationed if you ever make it through.

BAS would cover you, the rest would be your tiny direct deposit twice a month and the strain it would put on your relationship.

You even married or planning on getting married?

BR34
10-13-09, 01:57 PM
thank you for the insightfull response. theres just one issue with removal. i cant afford it. no money. any one know any self removal techniques. but as well when my brother was in boot he saw sargents with full sleeves. i have no option i have to join got a baby coming and i cant even support myself

Get a job, get a loan, use the loan to pay for removal, pay the loan off when you graduate boot camp.

Full sleeves were grandfathered in when the new tattoo policy went into effect. Neck tattoos have never been part of the MC's policy.

If you're joining just for the extra money, join the Army. More money, easier entrance with tattoos.

sparkie
10-13-09, 02:12 PM
BR34,,,,,we finally agree on something,,,Go Army. Bonuses, faster promotions, slack on requirements,, and they actually need people right now.

slimmy07
10-15-09, 12:14 PM
Get a job, get a loan, use the loan to pay for removal, pay the loan off when you graduate boot camp.

Full sleeves were grandfathered in when the new tattoo policy went into effect. Neck tattoos have never been part of the MC's policy.

If you're joining just for the extra money, join the Army. More money, easier entrance with tattoos.

The Army does have easier tattoo policies. If you are joining for the Money and such, the pay is all the same across the board.

Quinbo
10-15-09, 03:08 PM
There is an outstanding sailor that visits this site once in a while. His handle is Integrity57. He tried with all his might to join the Marines and was turned away because of tatoos. He might be a good source of information if you PM him.

BR34
10-15-09, 03:43 PM
The Army does have easier tattoo policies. If you are joining for the Money and such, the pay is all the same across the board.

The Army has bigger bonuses and more incentives. The Army pays more.

commdog7
10-15-09, 03:59 PM
any one know any self removal techniques.

A cheese grader might work.... :yes:

Quinbo
10-15-09, 04:18 PM
That's a good one commdog. Self removal ... drink a big shot of whiskey then hold you wallet in your teeth while your best friend removes it with a belt sander. Sprinkle liberally with salt then pour rubbing alcohol on it. Shouldn't hurt much worse then when you got it.

SGT7477
10-15-09, 07:50 PM
Maybe the army does pay more but a long ways from the pride of being a Marine.

echo3oscar1833
10-15-09, 08:05 PM
That's a good one commdog. Self removal ... drink a big shot of whiskey then hold you wallet in your teeth while your best friend removes it with a belt sander. Sprinkle liberally with salt then pour rubbing alcohol on it. Shouldn't hurt much worse then when you got it.

Haha thats funny Bulk, If I was a recruiter I would sign someone right up if they had the balls to do that lol. Also to the guy that started this thread. The Army just recently just changed there regs allowing men and women with tattoos on the sides and back of there necks in. SF.:D

echo3oscar1833
10-15-09, 08:06 PM
Also the Army has also stated that they can get waivers for front neck tattoos that are not offensive in nature. SF:beer:

BR34
10-15-09, 08:17 PM
Maybe the army does pay more but a long ways from the pride of being a Marine.

Pride or better quality of living for him and his unborn child.

Tough choice.

slimmy07
10-16-09, 10:10 AM
In the Marine Corps its a no go with tattoos depending on where you have them. On your hands is an automatic DQ. If its on the bone on your upper back that connects to your neck its an automatic DQ. If its on your chest and it can be seen while wearing a charlie blouse with out the white undershirt (the white undershirt is not part of your uniform), its an automatic DQ. There are tattoo waivers and just having one requires a waiver, but on those places that I mentioned can NOT be waived. There are also other tattoos that MCRC wont waive. For example I was working with a 25 correctional officer who was a Sergeant in the corrections department. He had his arm 3/4 sleeved with a dragon and some designs. No drug or police record. Good ASVAB score. The waiver came back denied because they felt the applicant wouldn't be able to serve past 4 years. They said it was because if he wanted to make it a career he couldn't do special duties. He would be DQ'd for recruiting duty for sure because of the tattoo. I though that guy had a good chance, but he didn't get in. Tattoos are very tough depending on where you have them. The Marine Corps is by far the TOUGHEST branch to get into. It used to be different back in the 60',70's, and 80's. The Corps changed a lot when I started recruiting duty back in 2005. It's good and bad. I suggest you go to an office and talk to an NCOIC or a veteran recruiter and have him look at your tattoo(s) and let them see if your DQ'd. If you are there is nothing wrong with walking over to the Army or Air force and seeing what they can do for you. Taking care of that family should be the priority, not what uniform you put on. They all say U.S. before anything else. Best of luck.