PDA

View Full Version : Money after bootcamp

Jaybaker87
10-12-09, 03:35 PM
I was wondering if any of the Marines here could help me im getting married after bootcamp and I wanted to know how much i will have when I get out I have 2 dependents. I know i have to pay for things while in boot but after you Marines got out how much did you have? Thank you for your help.

Jaybaker87
10-12-09, 03:42 PM
My MOS was changed 2 weeks prior to shipping I was going to be in NBRC but just a few days ago my MOS was changed to intel. and i have to take another test for placement reasons I believe its called defensive language test im not sure if thats correct. If any of the Marines here could tell me what type of test it is so I could study I would really appreciate your help. Thanks Marines for any help you can give.

Zulu 36
10-12-09, 04:00 PM
My MOS was changed 2 weeks prior to shipping I was going to be in NBRC but just a few days ago my MOS was changed to intel. and i have to take another test for placement reasons I believe its called defensive language test im not sure if thats correct. If any of the Marines here could tell me what type of test it is so I could study I would really appreciate your help. Thanks Marines for any help you can give.

It will be a test to determine your general ability to learn foreign languages. Not much you can do to study for it, just do your best. If you do well, you might end up at the Defense Language Institute learning Arabic, Farsi, Pashto, or some such.

As far as getting married after boot camp: WHY? Christ on a crutch. Are you or your girlfriend independently wealthy?

As far as money after boot camp, you can figure out roughly what you will have if you Google the pay scales. It won't be that terribly much, MAYBE $1,500 - $2,000. You'll burn part of that getting home on leave and then back for MTB. Don't forget, you have some expenses in boot camp that come out of your pay (personal hygiene items, haircuts, any dry cleaning, letter writing materials, postage, etc).

Here is my standard advice to young Marines wanting to get married: Don't even think about it until you are at least a Sergeant and have at least one deployment.

Your first concern is getting through boot camp. Everything else must wait.

Jaybaker87
10-12-09, 06:15 PM
Thank you for your help