PDA

View Full Version : Valley residents serve breakfast to show appreciation to Marines

thedrifter
10-11-09, 07:42 AM
Valley residents serve breakfast to show appreciation to Marines
by Sharlene Irete
sirete@recordcourier.com,

A group of Carson Valley residents wanted to show appreciation to 85 Marines who will soon be going on a mission to Afghanistan by treating them to a breakfast picnic on Friday.

The Marines from the 3rd Recon Battalion Bravo Co. knew they were going to breakfast and saw welcoming signs made by Douglas County 4-H'ers on their bus ride from Hawthorne to Minden, but they weren't prepared for the crowd of about 80 people in Minden Park.

“We thought there was going to be a little breakfast, but we didn't expect half the town to show up,” said Cpl. Cameron Krane, 23, from West Palm Beach, Fla.

The gazebo was draped in bunting, chairs and tables were set up under propane torches to take the chill off the 40-degree weather. The hot line breakfast included pancakes, eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, Panchita's Killer Salsa, Starbucks coffee and cinnamon rolls from Russell's Mercantile.

“Hawthorne might not have been so great for you but we wanted to make sure you leave Nevada with a much better taste in your mouth with this breakfast,” said Karen Berger, whose mother Jeannie Burns started the ball rolling on the breakfast picnic.

“We're claiming you all as our own,” Berger said. “There's lots of townspeople who want to shake your hand.”

Jeannie Burns' son-in-law Steve Morris is the gunnery sergeant leading the team of 145 Marines who spent eight weeks training in Hawthorne and Pickel Meadow.

“Our family wanted to do something to welcome the Marines so we made a few phone calls,” said Burns. “They are truly American heroes. I can't believe how lucky we are to have so many young men willing to fight for their country.”

Burns called Woodett's Diner to see if she would buy some of their breakfast potatoes and they ended up donating much of the food served on Friday. Word spread and more food was donated for breakfast. The Town of Minden donated the use of their kitchen, the public address system and the park. The Carson Valley Lions Club put up the flags.

After breakfast, the group was to travel to South Lake Tahoe to shop and for gondola rides, courtesy of Heavenly Resort, and then to Zephyr Cove for a barbecue on the beach.

The 3rd Recon Battalion Bravo Co. has completed training, and after going home for a visit with their families, they ship out to their first mission to Afghanistan.

Gunnery Sgt. Steve Morris is married to Jeannie Burns' daughter, Kristine, who is in Okinawa with their toddler sons. This will be Morris' fourth tour, but the mission to Afghanistan will be the first for most of the company.

“I'm 32 and I've been in the military for almost 13 years,” said Morris. “I'm an old man in this group. These guys may look like boys but when you see what they do, they're men.

“I tell them when someone wants to shake your hand, accept it as shaking a hand for everyone. If your mom and dad could see this they'd be so proud. It carries the seed for when they get out. They're future teachers, doctors, electricians.”

Morris said he appreciated the work that went into having the picnics and having people come out to welcome the Marines.

“This is chance for a non-military town to get to show their support. I tell the guys, ‘It's not about you, it's about your folks,'” he said.

“The guys never had anything like this, ever. People show support by hanging the flag, but to be able to shake a hand — it's a great thing to take away.

“Thanks for taking time out from your day to show your appreciation,” Morris told the crowd. “We appreciate you for everything you do.”

Ellie