PDA

View Full Version : What MOS is welding?

Jlg
10-11-09, 01:43 AM
Hi Marines i have some MOS question's, is there a welding MOS? and if i was to pick a welding MOS could i also be an MP? i guess i am being greedy for wanting more then one MOS, but i just want to learn all that i can so that i have a stable work in the future.

GSEMarine94
10-11-09, 10:10 AM
I seriously doubt you could get two MOS's on your first enlistment. Saying that I did go to welding school during my first enlistment, but I don't hold two MOS's. My shop required an aircraft certified welder and I was fortunate enough to go.
The MOS that covers welding is 1316

Jlg
10-11-09, 01:37 PM
I seriously doubt you could get two MOS's on your first enlistment. Saying that I did go to welding school during my first enlistment, but I don't hold two MOS's. My shop required an aircraft certified welder and I was fortunate enough to go.
The MOS that covers welding is 1316

Dang well i guess it comes down to which one i want more lol how was welding for you? i hear a lot of people happy with it because its good work in the military and in the civi world. Thanks for the answer Marine

GSEMarine94
10-11-09, 02:08 PM
Dang well i guess it comes down to which one i want more lol how was welding for you? i hear a lot of people happy with it because its good work in the military and in the civi world. Thanks for the answer Marine

Welding wasn't my primary job, I may have welded once a week on average. Once I was out it did look good on my resume, but I have done very little as a welder. I worked my way through college as a heavy equipment mechanic and may have welded once a week there as well.
Welding is a very good career to have it just wasn't what I wanted to do. While I was in the Corps I did know quite a few airframers and they were all welders and they loved it. If I were to decide which way to go I would go into an aviation field such as airframes as it does pay extremely well and will give you the oppurtunity to go to welding school, but that is my personal opinion and may not be what's best for you.

Jlg
10-11-09, 09:55 PM
Welding wasn't my primary job, I may have welded once a week on average. Once I was out it did look good on my resume, but I have done very little as a welder. I worked my way through college as a heavy equipment mechanic and may have welded once a week there as well.
Welding is a very good career to have it just wasn't what I wanted to do. While I was in the Corps I did know quite a few airframers and they were all welders and they loved it. If I were to decide which way to go I would go into an aviation field such as airframes as it does pay extremely well and will give you the oppurtunity to go to welding school, but that is my personal opinion and may not be what's best for you.

I will for sure look into aviation and airframes for more info as i like to do research on stuff before i give the go ahead lol. i may just have to re-enlist and take up MP afterwards, but i will figure something out.Thank you sir

jp2usmc
01-14-10, 09:34 AM
Sorry, I came across this late.

My MOS was 1316 - Basic Metal Worker (i.e. Welder), and I loved it.

Most ...no, all of my enlistment was spent working with the Heavy Equipment Operators (Bulldozers, Backhoes, etc.) known as H.E., Motor Transport, and the Amphibious Assault (AmTracks) groups patching up their Heavy Junk.

I freakin' loved it!

If you are a good artist and a creative person, welding is a great field for you. If you can't draw a straight line, though, please be an MP. There were lots of welders that I worked with that just couldn't run a straight bead, then other welders that didn't have a clue how to go about fixing a ripped apart bumper on a 5-Ton truck.

In welding, you've got to have both: Creativity and artistic ability.

If you are in the Heavy Junk field (not sure about the aviation segment), you also can't get upset when you get grease all over you or everything you are working on around you suddenly catches on fire. Just step back and spray it down with a fire extinguisher.