PDA

View Full Version : Present for active duty combat Marine? Watch perhaps?

ChicagoRob
10-10-09, 05:23 AM
Hello.

My son is in training now, but it's only a matter of time before he gets deployed to Afghanistan.

His mother and myself would like to get him a gift but are unsure what to get. The last time he visited we noticed that he's taken to wearing a watch. We were thinking that that might be a good "graduation" gift.

Is a watch a good idea? If so, what kind? If it helps, he's a Combat Engineer who is going to see combat duty.

Other gift suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Lupo22
10-10-09, 08:03 AM
Hey Rob, I'm in the same place as your son. I get out of my Infantry Training Batallion in two weeks.

If your son is a combat engineer, he'll spend a lot of time in the field so a "nice" watch isn't such a great idea. I got one as a gift and haven't worn it yet. I, too, don't care for wearing watches. If he's a Parris Island still, he'll be forced to buy a watch and it will be the best watch to wear in the field because its cheaper, still a good watch and if it gets messed up, oh well.

I got a lot of USMC clothes, which I really liked. I also got a few USMC memorabilia gifts which I also liked.

When he's in Afghanistan, he might want like an iPod? or a laptop (I bought myself a cheap one for like $350). Also, I don't know how you or your son feel about this but a tattoo would also be a great gift as 90% of all junior Marines are dying to get that "USMC" tattoo.

Just food for thought. Good luck to your son and Semper Fi!