PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my MOS and give me some advice

LaneJ
10-10-09, 03:34 AM
I am trying to pick my MOS and I would like to hear some suggestions.

Here is a little information about me so that you can help me make a better decision:

I dropped out of school and got my GED and I'm currently enrolled in 15 college credits (with all As) My classes will be finished by the end of December and I will be good to go for January.

I've been training everyday for the PT tests and to get myself in the best shape for my job. I'm trying to get a perfect score on the PT test so that among other things I can immediately start being a leader in boot camp.

I took the "pretest" for the ASVAB at the recruiters office and scored a 77, I know I still have to take the ASVAB but the recruiter told me that I should qualify for any job based off of my pretest score.

I'm in good shape, I'm smart, I'm well spoken, and I have a good attitude.

From what I know about the Marines so far I'm leaning towards Recon.

All comments and suggestions are welcome, I'm looking forward to hearing from you all!

Regards,

Jeff

tangovictor87
10-10-09, 04:50 AM
sounds like you have it already figured out. first, fill out your profile.

do you really know what recon does? it's not all you expect it to be.

ask yourself what you want outta the Corps? then report back.

sparkie
10-10-09, 07:00 AM
The Marines could use a few good cooks. How bout that?

Seriously, how could we possibly know what you might want? Having choices is tough, I guess. When I was in there were no choices.

Lisa 23
10-10-09, 11:16 AM
Like tangovictor87 said, fill out all of yor profile, it's in the rules.
Personally, this is a decision only you can make. You can tell us about your likes an dislikes all you want, but in the end, you are the one who's going to have to do the job that YOU want, not what Marines here may suggest to you. It's your career, however short or long it may be.
Good luck to you.

SGT7477
10-10-09, 01:18 PM
Could always use someone who can make SOS,lol.

StoneTheWeak
10-11-09, 04:29 PM
Pick something that doesn't come with a 5 year contract. It feels stupid when you're still in school and guys you went to bootcamp have already deployed and came back and are going to have another before you do. I'm FINALLY finishing school wednesday and I don't deploy till March 2011. **** sucks.

LaneJ
10-11-09, 07:12 PM
I want Infantry with the intention of going for Recon.

I've done some research but I'm not exactly sure how that whole process works, I know you have to try out of course but I'm not sure what's to be expected except that they are looking for the best of the best.

I am however keeping my mind open to other options as well, but nothing I've looked at so far has come close to interesting me as much.

Lisa 23
10-11-09, 07:23 PM
Profile.....
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

sscjoe
10-11-09, 08:25 PM
Could always use someone who can make SOS,lol.

Ray(NOREMORSE) makes the best SOS

0231Marine
10-12-09, 08:12 AM
I wouldn't normally help someone out with a question like, "What should I be when I grow up?" but here, check out this link. It will give you a good understanding about some of the MOS's out there for you to pick from.

https://www.usmc.mil/new_mos_fields (http://www.smouch.net/lol)