PDA

View Full Version : PFC to CPL

srinaldo86
10-09-09, 07:29 PM
I'm looking to advance my rank as quick as possible, I have until December when I pickup LCpl, however I don't want to be a 2 year or Terminal Lance. I want to pickup Cpl as soon as possible. However my time in grade will be ridiculously low compared to the other LCpls in Security Battalion, Quantico. I'm basically just looking for whatever advice can be given to get me promoted quicker.
Scores & Stats:
Pistol - Expert
Rifle - Expert
CFT - 291 (3:02 MTF, 91 Ammo can, 2:16 MUF)
PFT - 188 (22:07 Run, 100 Crunches, 3 Pull ups)
Grey Belt
10Lbs under Max Weight.
EVOC Certified
Government Licensed
NO MCI's completed YET. (Still waiting on the damn books.)
I volunteer for almost everything

I realize my PFT is TERRIBLE and I work on improving it all the time but I have another 5 months until its time to re-test.

Help?

DIBLO7
10-09-09, 07:36 PM
REALLY?!?! 3 pullups and your asking us what to do?

tangovictor87
10-09-09, 07:45 PM
imho lcpl is an awesome rank. enjoy it. the best NCO's are the ones that aren't rank chasers and spend real time in grade. and 3 pull ups is pathetic. improve that and complete the MCI'S.

Akkadian
10-09-09, 07:51 PM
Don't worry about getting promoted. Worry about learning your MOS.

And get those pull-ups up!

S/F

Qwarkeh
10-09-09, 07:56 PM
It's pretty interesting how you have an amazing CFT score, but your PFT blows... But I think you answered your own question when you posted that. Also, people tend to dislike Corporals who don't know how to do their job but managed to get promoted because they made everything on paper look pretty.

Akkadian
10-09-09, 08:14 PM
Also, with the MCI's, somebody is bound to have a digital copy of the books (I do) that you can put on your computer. Also, talk to your squad leader/Vc/team leader about getting the paper test that they print out. You fill in the answers and they submit it online. It takes a day or so. They order, print, you do the test, give it back, submit, and you're done.

AND! how did you get 91 ammo lifts if you can't do at least 10 pull-ups?

charm1110
10-09-09, 08:43 PM
Alright! 3 pull- ups? WTF!!! you have to be kidding her...right??
I understand the desire to rise though the ranks but seriously you'd never be taken seriously as an NCO with that kind of pft performance and seriously I don't think any command would consider that kind of pft in the least desirable for an NCO. You know no matter how many mci's and attaboy's you collect that measly 3 pull-ups will stick out like a Di** on your forehead should you ever make it to a board and being an MP I would guess you're going to have some pretty stiff competition on any future boards. Hit the gym work on your upper body strength and study all the knowledge pertaining to your mos you can get your hands on, Keep a good attitude, stay away from partying and generally be a good boy, eventually you will get it. Good Luck!

Semper Fi...:flag:

Bdchi1
10-09-09, 11:40 PM
I was thinking WM but your profile says 'male'...how did you get through boot with 3 pull ups? You were 3rd Batt on the island.

Adding to what was said above...I've seen LCPLs that were far more squared away than meritorious CPLs. Do the time and drink a protein shake or two while you're pounding out the MCI's. Do they have an MCI on how to increase pull-ups? If so, start with that one:)

S/F

StoneTheWeak
10-10-09, 01:07 PM
Go to the gym. There is the recon ron pullup program to increase your pullups, and it works great, but if you don't start it out doing at least 10, it won't do you any good. Go to the gym, if you want a good workout routine then PM me. Pullups help, weights can help more. My score went from like 215 to 240 in the past month and a half.

SGT7477
10-10-09, 01:13 PM
3 pullups,lol, hit that gym bigtime. Semper FI.

FistFu68
10-10-09, 01:24 PM
:evilgrin: You know that BIGGG-BRICK building on mainside with the Bigg Flag with 2 Stars on it.Stake out the driveway @ when The Major Generals car drives by with Him in it Pull him over @ give the Driver a Ticket 4 speeding.Chit You'll get promoted on tha' Spot I did :D :iwo:

Troutzilla
10-10-09, 01:37 PM
I've been a L/Cpl for 40 years....it's a hell of a rank !! Some of the Corps finest are, and have been, L/Cpls forever.

Semper Fi

:flag:

StoneTheWeak
10-10-09, 04:07 PM
The idea of being a Lcpl gets overlooked in favor of picking up NCO. There are plenty of times when Lcpl's have just as much responsibility as NCO's and are just as mission critical. Yeah, the blood stripe is cool and so is the EGA buckle on your dress blues, but if you're a retard (and there are plenty of those) it doesn't mean anything. The only difference between when you were a Lcpl and a Cpl is that now someone has to address you by rank, but if you don't know anything what's the point? I wouldn't expect someone to respect me just because I've got an extra chevron if I don't know my job.

Petz
10-10-09, 04:39 PM
STW, it's called tradition. If you suck that's not a good enough reason to disrespect the rank. We don't promote on Technical/Tactical prowess in the Corps, we do it on performance. If the "retards" get promoted it's because they are better than the next guy. Get over it.

StoneTheWeak
10-10-09, 05:02 PM
STW, it's called tradition. If you suck that's not a good enough reason to disrespect the rank. We don't promote on Technical/Tactical prowess in the Corps, we do it on performance. If the "retards" get promoted it's because they are better than the next guy. Get over it.

I think you misinterpreted me, but it came out the wrong way on my end. Yes, you still HAVE to respect the rank, but respecting the man is entirely different.

I'm not going to go outside of what I am require to give someone credit as a great leader if they aren't one. Would you? You've been around to know what I'm talking about. They looked good on paper and got promoted, but outside of that are useless. Anyone can avoid Ninja Punches, run fast, and be strong, and do a few MCI's to reach Corporal. Hell, my cutting score in September was only 1617, and as of right now without any MCI's I have a 1575. Assuming the scores don't go up too much by June/July when I'm eligible for Corporal, I'm getting promoted because by then I'll have my MCI's in, and more time in grade. But I'll have only been actually working my job less than a year and by Avionics standards, that really isn't ****.

But there's more to it than just being strong and taking tests. So yes, you must respect the rank, but I'd rather gain respect as the man first so that the rank isn't wasted.

Accord
10-12-09, 01:03 AM
I'm looking to advance my rank as quick as possible, I have until December when I pickup LCpl, however I don't want to be a 2 year or Terminal Lance. I want to pickup Cpl as soon as possible. However my time in grade will be ridiculously low compared to the other LCpls in Security Battalion, Quantico. I'm basically just looking for whatever advice can be given to get me promoted quicker.
Scores & Stats:
Pistol - Expert
Rifle - Expert
CFT - 291 (3:02 MTF, 91 Ammo can, 2:16 MUF)
PFT - 188 (22:07 Run, 100 Crunches, 3 Pull ups)
Grey Belt
10Lbs under Max Weight.
EVOC Certified
Government Licensed
NO MCI's completed YET. (Still waiting on the damn books.)
I volunteer for almost everything

I realize my PFT is TERRIBLE and I work on improving it all the time but I have another 5 months until its time to re-test.

Help? It took me more than 3 years, a combat deployment, and watching my buddies die before I ever picked up Corporal and here you are,
a boot ass MP who is still ****ting his warriors breakfast and can only do 3 pullups asking how to become a non commissioned officer as fast as possible.... Are you ****ing kidding me? You're disgusting, go wave some colonel through the main gate you POG boot.

WKranz
10-12-09, 02:27 AM
I have nerve damage from my neck to my wrist, I had trouble bringing a water bottle to my mouth five months ago, and couldn't cut a steak up for my birthday dinner. But I can do two pullups now because I bust my ass to get better.

You'll get Cpl by leading the Marines under you effectively, and a huge part of that is leading by example. You belong to the Marine Corps for the next four years, and the Marine Corps loves perfect. Bust your ass to get there.

Petz
10-12-09, 05:03 AM
It took me more than 3 years, a combat deployment, and watching my buddies die before I ever picked up Corporal and here you are,
a boot ass MP who is still ****ting his warriors breakfast and can only do 3 pullups asking how to become a non commissioned officer as fast as possible.... Are you ****ing kidding me? You're disgusting, go wave some colonel through the main gate you POG boot.

I can understand everything you except this. Did you really have to go there?

I think he's going to hate the fact that all promotions are going to be practically none existant for a while. We're going to see 5-6 year LCpls picking up and 7-8 year Cpls getting Sgt just because of the economy and people re-upping for a second enlistment. You'll have people who will need to go on a review board just to get a boat space to reenlist (which is going on this year).

Kid, I don't understand; what's your hurry?

Supersquishy
10-12-09, 05:06 AM
Its the new "I" and "ME" Generation, I see it all the time in the civilian world, civilians only looking out for themselfs and walking over who ever gets in their way. Shoot, I guarantee you see it on the roads too.:thumbdown

Petz
10-12-09, 05:11 AM
oh, you mean like those people who you're trying to pass and they speed up just to slow down 100 feet down the road and turn??? you mean those people on the road???

Supersquishy
10-12-09, 05:18 AM
oh, you mean like those people who you're trying to pass and they speed up just to slow down 100 feet down the road and turn??? you mean those people on the road???

Yup, and the ME FIRST people who tailgate you in the slow lane then speed around you on the left then slam on their brakes at the incoming red lighted intersection.

StoneTheWeak
10-12-09, 07:14 PM
I can understand everything you except this. Did you really have to go there?

I think he's going to hate the fact that all promotions are going to be practically none existant for a while. We're going to see 5-6 year LCpls picking up and 7-8 year Cpls getting Sgt just because of the economy and people re-upping for a second enlistment. You'll have people who will need to go on a review board just to get a boat space to reenlist (which is going on this year).

Kid, I don't understand; what's your hurry?

I can answer this, with a question of my own too, who doesn't wanna get promoted? Think about it. Yes, within a reasonable time frame in order to learn your job, but who the **** wants to spend 4 years as a Lcpl? Not me. Will it happen? Who knows, but I would like to get promoted. More money, more responsibility, and treated less like a child. I'm going to pick up Cpl as soon as I can too. I'm not gonna raise my hand in the middle of the ceremony, say hold on cowboy, and refuse the chevrons.

commdog7
10-12-09, 07:38 PM
I know, I know!

Once you pick up LCpl, all you gotta do is find a way to impress a General and he will promote you to Cpl on the spot! :banana:

Petz
10-12-09, 08:26 PM
I can answer this, with a question of my own too, who doesn't wanna get promoted? Think about it. Yes, within a reasonable time frame in order to learn your job, but who the **** wants to spend 4 years as a Lcpl? Not me. Will it happen? Who knows, but I would like to get promoted. More money, more responsibility, and treated less like a child. I'm going to pick up Cpl as soon as I can too. I'm not gonna raise my hand in the middle of the ceremony, say hold on cowboy, and refuse the chevrons.

Bro, that's not even the point. You earn your points while you learn your job. You don't ask how do you go from PFC to Cpl as soon as possible. It's not up to you and me. It's up to the Marine Corps, retention, Bonuses, Recruiters..... the list goes on. You just need to excel at whatever it is you do and you'll get what's coming to you. End of story.

And STW, I have seen Marines refuse promotion to Sgt because they didn't feel they were ready for it. It's not uncommon for Cpls to get promoted too quickly to Sgt and feel inadequate in comparison to their predecessors.

Zulu 36
10-12-09, 10:12 PM
Promotions come as promotions come. Some come faster than others. They do come slower the higher you go. That is simply the way of it.

In the old days, it wasn't unusual to be a hashmarked PFC. So be thankful this isn't the old days.

srinaldo86
10-13-09, 10:14 AM
I'm stationed at Quantico surrounded by 2 and 3 year Lcpls. I'm a 23 year old PFC, I don't like being treated like a 18 year old punk. I'm older than a lot of my NCO's (please don't assume that I disrespect them because of that however.)
I'm married, so a pay increase is always welcome.
Through out my 1 year in the Marine Corps I've always been told to improve myself, advance yourself, be better than the next guy; So that's what I'm trying to do.

As far as the pullups go, thats what I got from my last PFT. I have improved since then, I'm currently at 7 but it doesn't matter until I run another PFT.

The ammo can lifts are easier for my shoulder, I can also use my legs.

Quinbo
10-13-09, 10:47 AM
It took me more than 3 years, a combat deployment, and watching my buddies die before I ever picked up Corporal and here you are,

You have a way with words accord. That was a good one.

BR34
10-13-09, 10:58 AM

Anyone with a cutting score as low as the one you said your MOS has that doesn't become a NCO in under 2 years needs to walk the plank.

onux16
10-13-09, 11:14 AM

Yup, and the ME FIRST people who tailgate you in the slow lane then speed around you on the left then slam on their brakes at the incoming red lighted intersection.

If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed you two were from the Quantico area.

As for srinaldo86, ask a few of the guys from your unit to train and work out with you. Barbers Gym has trainers. If you need it, I'll help you! But for the love of the God, brother, work on those pullups. The boosted PFT score will help out with the Pro/Cons, too. You need to start training now, though; PFT time is right around the corner.

StoneTheWeak
10-13-09, 11:20 AM
Anyone with a cutting score as low as the one you said your MOS has that doesn't become a NCO in under 2 years needs to walk the plank.

No kidding. If I'm at 1575 with only being a lance for a month(not even) and no MCI's, by the time the 6 months goes by before I'm even eligible, I'll already have my MCI's in and my time in grade will have gone up. I don't plan on it being more than 8-9 months.

charm1110
10-13-09, 03:42 PM
Okay, I understand being married and wanting to increase your pay rate, However the best thing you can do to improve your chances for quicker promotions is really improve your basics, pft,...

bgsuwoody
10-13-09, 06:38 PM
God damn, you really dont even know what it takes. It is one of the hardest jobs in the Corps and you haven't even begun your career. I worked my damn ass off imensing myself in this lifestyle instead of just treating it as a job. I still do that today. **** I am still wearing cammies. I am TAD and came back to find boots doing nothing so I did a Marinenet SAW class with them and then I watched one of my best friends and deserving brothers EARN the rank of CPL. '

You think you know bud but you dont, I've done things, seen things, experience the highs and lows of life and death and I've fought with the verocity of a Marine and the one thing I have the rest my head on that all of it is worth it is that rank and that blood stripe. You really do not know what it means to be an NCO yet...

Now I get my ass kicked every morning at Infantry Squad Leaders Course...which I had to fight and earn my way there. Its a fight buddy no one isn't giving anything. You have to earn it by being a Marine

srinaldo86
10-13-09, 06:49 PM
Well thank you all for your advice gentlemen, I'll just keep doing my time and try my best to be a stellar Marine.

StoneTheWeak
10-13-09, 07:49 PM
God damn, you really dont even know what it takes. It is one of the hardest jobs in the Corps and you haven't even begun your career. I worked my damn ass off imensing myself in this lifestyle instead of just treating it as a job. I still do that today. **** I am still wearing cammies. I am TAD and came back to find boots doing nothing so I did a Marinenet SAW class with them and then I watched one of my best friends and deserving brothers EARN the rank of CPL. '

You think you know bud but you dont, I've done things, seen things, experience the highs and lows of life and death and I've fought with the verocity of a Marine and the one thing I have the rest my head on that all of it is worth it is that rank and that blood stripe. You really do not know what it means to be an NCO yet...

Now I get my ass kicked every morning at Infantry Squad Leaders Course...which I had to fight and earn my way there. Its a fight buddy no one isn't giving anything. You have to earn it by being a Marine

No disrespect Corporal, but it's possible to experience life in different facets, and still experience "the highs and lows and death". I think it's a little presumptuous of you. I'm not taking anything away from you, I've never seen anyone killed, but you can't assume that just because someone didn't join the Corps or hasn't experienced it in the Corps doesn't mean they haven't experienced it. Nothing to do with the topic at hand, just a general observation about life.

Petz
10-14-09, 08:23 PM
Well thank you all for your advice gentlemen, I'll just keep doing my time and try my best to be a stellar Marine.

it was answered early on, improve the obvious shortcomings that you have and even mentioned that you're aware of. Then when you are actually competitive for promotion amongst your peers and you can't seem to get promoted then you come here and ask questions.

I had a 265 PFT when I picked up Sgt. Not great but I had goodish Pro/Cons, command recruiting points (brought me up to par for the lost PFT points), MCI's, and expert on the range.

Ingle
11-19-09, 03:28 AM
Rinaldo, Rinaldo Rinaldo

Im First Class Cft, Pft, Expert Rifle And Am Going To Range This Friday For Pistol Again, I Have Most Mci's Completed And You Know What My Co Told Me,

Cpl Is Not Given To You Because You Qualify
Its Given To You Because You Earn It, You Lead The Marines In Our Unit Regardless Of Your Personal Opinion Of Them. I Was Meritorious Lcpl And I Hope To Be Meritorious Cpl But I Will Wait My Time And When It Happens It Will Be Well Deserved Im Sure.